What is your newest purchase

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A week on Redmire. My mate managed to get through last week so the 3 of us have the last week in September 

New sleep system - going down well!  Room for 2 no arguments!    

Gorgeous... sounds like Rolling Thunder 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

I  have two mates that own Pajeros Ian, money pits, their words.

The Pajero was made for the Japanese market and didn't get undersealed at the factory.  Shoguns were, of course, for the World market and were better built and PDI'd, Steve.

Different animal in many respects. Pajeros were fitted with smaller diameter brake discs and single-pot callipers as the low legal speed limit in Japan doesn't call for massive braking ability. The equivalent Shogun models had these items massively uprated along with stronger anti-roll bars and suspension bushing.

The fact that many Pajeros were grey imported means that they aren't well enough equipped to cope with UK usage and brakes in particular are overstressed. The lack of factory underseal leads to massive corrosion issues, particularly around suspension mountings.

I'll gladly concede that Pajeros used in the UK are potential money pits but my previous Shogun Mk2, which gave me 12 years of utterly reliable use, cost little more than annual servicing and, of course, wear items such as brake pads and discs. I happily undertook two trips to France in it, loaded with two complete sets of carp fishing gear. Also towed our seriously heavy German caravan the length and breadth of the British Isles and never once did it fail me.

I now use, and love, a much newer Shogun DiD Elegance which tows the caravan with aplomb and earlier this year took me and my Son to Napoleon Lakes in central France and home again at speeds that I daren't mention. It used no oil nor coolant, just diesel. Lots of that.....

Ian

16 minutes ago, dayvid said:

Whats the MPG average Ian

Urban use is around 27mpg if I don't use the kick-down too often. Towing the caravan it's a little better as speeds are pretty constant. Nearer 30mpg, then.

I was pleasantly surprised to do a wild sprint from Lassicourt in France to North Warwickshire on less than a full tank of diesel. Not much less, mind.

13 minutes ago, yonny said:

Will do. They look good eh. Apparently they open regardless of whether they land on their nose, their side, whatever, which is great when the consistency in force of your casting is as bad as mine:lol:

From what I've seen they are spot on and trying to sort uk distribution for next year. Some pics would be good too if you have time. 

5 minutes ago, greekskii said:

From what I've seen they are spot on and trying to sort uk distribution for next year. Some pics would be good too if you have time. 

Yes, they are due in the UK next year, I just didn't want to wait lol....

Yeah I'll whack a pic or two up when they arrive and post some feedback after I've used them mate.

4 minutes ago, manos said:

i decided to go back to the past and want to use straw oil palatant. A friend told me to search for John Baker flavours so i searched the site but nothing. I will go for Pineapple ester instead.

Strawberry Palatant?

As much as I dislike him http://www.nashtackle.co.uk/products/view/strawberry-oil-palatant-125ml its good stuff.

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Was that because Angling Direct have bought them out?

No mate, it was because I was in something of a hurry. Called in today to look at bivvies and ask those members of staff I know well how they feel about the takeover. I heard very little that was positive and quite a lot that wasn't.

Guess it'll take a while until the dust settles.........

Ian

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:28, cloud9 said:

Spool of diawa sensor in 10 lb , going to set up one of my old rods up for the winter as I shall only do the odd day session over the next few months ..

The best value for money line available in my humble opinion. Over the many years I've tried all sorts and never found anything to beat it. I'd be glad to use it if it were twice the price.

Ian

37 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

This will pee you of Ian but i make personal apologies to you and not for thhe sentiment, Tesco style angling, supermarket fishing in and out of the water, to many great angling shops gone because of this instant super carper concept, Bennets, and Leslies among them, God help the future and my best wishes for the staff, no doubt it will be populated by zero hours eastern euros in future, who dont know a sod about fish apart from their taste, rant over, you reap what you sow, bring on heritage angling and halt this rubbish.

I'm not peed off at all, Steve. In fact I'm tending to agree with you. Another first....

What I liked about Fosters as it stood was the fact that all of the staff are anglers. I use the word "are" because all of the staff have been retained for that very reason. It's not just a fishing outlet, it's somewhere to go to seek unbiased, considered advice. I've been fortunate in making friends of several of these people. Ordinary working blokes, all.

The main concern voiced by all I spoke to is that it may go in the direction that you "rant" about. We shall have to wait and see. And live in hope, of course, that Angling Direct don't try to fix something that ain't broken.

I would add that since Angling Direct added the Willenhall Maever Fishing outlet to their portfolio it's been left as a stand alone match angler's outlet. Shall we hope that Fosters enjoys the same Laissez Faire approach?

Ian