Jump to content

What is your newest purchase


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, welder said:

I'm not peed off at all, Steve. In fact I'm tending to agree with you. Another first....

What I liked about Fosters as it stood was the fact that all of the staff are anglers. I use the word "are" because all of the staff have been retained for that very reason. It's not just a fishing outlet, it's somewhere to go to seek unbiased, considered advice. I've been fortunate in making friends of several of these people. Ordinary working blokes, all.

The main concern voiced by all I spoke to is that it may go in the direction that you "rant" about. We shall have to wait and see. And live in hope, of course, that Angling Direct don't try to fix something that ain't broken.

I would add that since Angling Direct added the Willenhall Maever Fishing outlet to their portfolio it's been left as a stand alone match angler's outlet. Shall we hope that Fosters enjoys the same Laissez Faire approach?

Ian

 

if its any consolation Ian, they have actually improved the willenhall branch, more choice and lower prices,,,,suits me :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A week on Redmire. My mate managed to get through last week so the 3 of us have the last week in September 

New sleep system - going down well!  Room for 2 no arguments!    

Gorgeous... sounds like Rolling Thunder 

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, welder said:

Good to hear an upbeat comment, mate. I shall continue to live in hope.

Ian

Must confess, that when they bought out Simpsons of Turnford, not all remarks were positive.

I can't comment any further as I haven't been in since as when at Nazeing I use Johnson Ross in Hoddesdon, and that is top notch shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, carpmachine said:

Very sad that cornershop is now an Aldi or something else, progress, its a matter of opinion, bring back the old days, Brexit now.

sorry to say bud, Brexit will not bring back the old days. millenniums are here to stay, at least until their kids grow up. then and only then will they see where we oldies are coming from hahaha!! :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cyborx said:

sorry to say bud, Brexit will not bring back the old days.

True. Prices for things won't suddenly go down, house prices will keep rising. If anything things will get more expensive on the majority of goods due to import taxes. 

I can see fishing kit getting pricier as well due to some trade routes. Bait especially, how many ingredients for the big boys are shipped in from Europe is silly. Where most of the manufacturs are based. The price of farmed fish is likely to go up too. For restocking and consumption due to the pellet suppliers being based in Europe. 

Only thing that will go down in price is likely the £ itself! And probably some British produced fruit and veg... or will that go up because there is less competition from European producers? When you have limited suppliers they can dictate the prices. I know I would. If I could produce and sell apples for 5p each and still make profit but to import them it would cost £1 in the supermarket. I'd be selling my apples for 99p. Still cheaper that importing, just. But a lot higher than the 20p someone was paying when they could be imported cheapily. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, greekskii said:

True. Prices for things won't suddenly go down, house prices will keep rising. If anything things will get more expensive on the majority of goods due to import taxes. 

I can see fishing kit getting pricier as well due to some trade routes. Bait especially, how many ingredients for the big boys are shipped in from Europe is silly. Where most of the manufacturs are based. The price of farmed fish is likely to go up too. For restocking and consumption due to the pellet suppliers being based in Europe. 

Only thing that will go down in price is likely the £ itself! And probably some British produced fruit and veg... or will that go up because there is less competition from European producers? When you have limited suppliers they can dictate the prices. I know I would. If I could produce and sell apples for 5p each and still make profit but to import them it would cost £1 in the supermarket. I'd be selling my apples for 99p. Still cheaper that importing, just. But a lot higher than the 20p someone was paying when they could be imported cheapily. 

I can see a sudden rise in end tackle and other items coming! If the minimum wage and living costs etc come into force in China, I reckon a few of the factories will be forced to close down. Be a bit like your apple analogy then vik. Less competition, charge more!!! Could even be that we see a lot more tackle produced back over here???

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

Great point mate, we could make our own gear again, vik, dont remember all the cheap food that came from the commonwealth, or the wine lakes and butter and beef mountains that the EU gave to the Russians  and the food ploughed in simply to maintain top prices. Brexit the sooner the better, decent wages again, lower demand for housing, health and schools, dont see a downside.

Agree, and this is the second time in a week..........:D

Ian

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

 Less competition, charge more!!!

Quite right, Nige. My brother used to manufacture reflectors for stage lighting effects. A Chinese company made exact copies of his designs and undercut him until it really wasn't worth carrying on, so he moved into different products.

As soon as the Orientals had free reign their prices rose by 250%.

Ian

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are British companies still producing gear in this country, Century is one.

I think, but am not sure, that Solar Stainless is British made. You also have some very good custom companies.

Kevin Nash had tackle factories in UK, Fox was totally British, but Nash went to cheap China to get tackle made, and obviously Fox's distribution is now Belgium.

Its a shame that more tackle companies didn't choose to stay UK manufacturing based, but they decided to go abroad, despite China's reputation for copying, reverse engineering and then making cheaper, selling for themselves and other companies.

Drennan is an exception in that their company factory has a British overseer, which is their own factory, not generic, like many are.

I think though that Drennan factory is Korea, but not sure.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cyborx said:

and that would be a bad thing??

trade routes will no longer have to be through the EU, should be able to open more direct routes and so lessen prices too.

I'm wondering since you say that, will Fox start to go through their old UK distribution site at Hainault again, instead of Belgium?

That would be more UK jobs again as well!

Very little tackle for the British market is produced in mainland Europe, its nearly all from the Far East, so strictly speaking there is no need for it to go into mainland Europe.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm wondering since you say that, will Fox start to go through their old UK distribution site at Hainault again, instead of Belgium?

That would be more UK jobs again as well!

Very little tackle for the British market is produced in mainland Europe, its nearly all from the Far East, so strictly speaking there is no need for it to go into mainland Europe.

 

an interesting point to make here would be that due to the 'Rotterdam effect', most imports on the eastern route from other countries (none european) to the UK are recorded as originating within the EU and not the country of origin.

the reason for this is the (so called) seamless transport links and co-operation between the EU states, an estimated 65% of world trade to EU countries will arrive in europe via the ports of Rotterdam or Antwerp and then be re-routed to the final destination.

this has two (or more) consequences, 1) the Rotterdam effect itself where incoming and outgoing goods are registered to and from the port of dispatch falsifying their trade figures, and 2) the main reason why goods from China, Korea and the US take so long to get here as unless you are ordering a whole container of goods your little parcel will have to wait until they can fill one for the uk.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2017 at 13:22, greekskii said:

From what I've seen they are spot on and trying to sort uk distribution for next year. Some pics would be good too if you have time. 

They look OK Vic...... the mechanism is sound, great design, the only thing that worries me is capacity. They don't look like they'll hold nearly as much as a Spomb or Impact Spod. Not used them yet but will report back when I have.

20171030_194855[1].jpg

20171030_194904[1].jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2017 at 14:42, greekskii said:

Best stove you'll ever buy. 

Arrived yesterday. Cannot believe how small it is, will take up no room at all in my tackle bag. Absolutely superb, why didn't I buy one years ago? 
No reason now not to have a nice hot fresh cuppa on the bank rather than the stewed luke warm stuff out of my Thermos. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smufter said:

Arrived yesterday. Cannot believe how small it is, will take up no room at all in my tackle bag. Absolutely superb, why didn't I buy one years ago? 
No reason now not to have a nice hot fresh cuppa on the bank rather than the stewed luke warm stuff out of my Thermos. 

I was surprised how powerful it goes too. Could boil up a 10L stock pot on it with ease...although you may run out of gas quite quickly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, greekskii said:

I was surprised how powerful it goes too. Could boil up a 10L stock pot on it with ease...although you may run out of gas quite quickly. 

Bought a multi-pack of 6 cannisters on the bay. Not too expensive. I'll only be using it for the odd cuppa and a fry up now and again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...