What is your newest purchase

On 1/12/2018 at 14:15, Big Common said:

The clue is in the number.. ie "4000"..... Most smaller carp reels are around 5000/5500,  medium around 7000 and Big Pits 10,000 as a rough guide.  The number is to indicate spool size/line capacity, which in turn gives you an idea of overall reel size.... There are one or two exceptions, but if you see a reel advertised at "4000", or less, you will know that its a fairly small reel.

I'm not sure that's the case BC. I've owned loads of big pits and they've all had smaller numbers. My Infinities were truly massive and they were 5500's. Tournies were 5000's. My current SS3000's are the same as size as the tournies. My old Shimmy Baitrunner 8000 GTE's were tiny!!! My brother had the Shimmy XT 10000 which were small where the 10000 XTA and XTB are massive. It makes no sense at all. I've never made any sense out of those numbers lol.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A week on Redmire. My mate managed to get through last week so the 3 of us have the last week in September 

New sleep system - going down well!  Room for 2 no arguments!    

Gorgeous... sounds like Rolling Thunder 

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Big Common said:

Just popped home for an hour and there was a nice plonk on the doormat as I was sipping a brew...... The new club ticket and rule book etc has just arrived. Itching to go walkabouts on a couple of lakes now. Looks like Firday will be an early finish  :)

Exciting times BC .

I can't remember if you posted who you are joining , C.A.A or C.A.P.S. ? .

:)

48 minutes ago, crusian said:

So that's BC and Spr on C.A.A. waters , those Carp won't stand a chance ! .

I'm looking forward to all the 'photos of those lovely old Carp .

:D

You must have me mistaken with someone else good sir......I lake watch don’t you know! 

Cant remember the last time I caught 🤣😂 

and if bc comes on and shows me how easy it is I’ll throw a little tantrum and retire the gear to the garage (I jest) 

37 minutes ago, Big Common said:

I really hope so mate. I've been fumbling around a bit since getting back on the bank couple of years ago. Pretty much had to start from scratch, tackle wise and bait wise. I dropped the bailiff duties. So hopefully can kick back a bit and enjoy the fishing now. Not fussed about sizes and numbers, just set up as best I can and chill out. Might re visit the club lake a couple of times before the ticket runs out. But genuinely looking forward to keeping my head down in a quiet corner of a new lake. It's not so much the carp as the tea bags that won't stand a chance :)

Sounds blissful BC , I'm feeling relaxed just reading your post , and my Wife is a serious tea drinker also .

18 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

You must have me mistaken with someone else good sir......I lake watch don’t you know! 

Cant remember the last time I caught 🤣😂 

and if bc comes on and shows me how easy it is I’ll throw a little tantrum and retire the gear to the garage (I jest) 

Don't throw a tantrum  Spr , you'll spill the mug of tea that BC makes you ! .

When you did catch Spr they were lovely Carp .

1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

Know what you mean mate, Viks latest blog hasnt appeared on here yet, him , yonny and Frank have a gripping way with words and humour, thats what i want to read, pictures, nah, means nothing, depends how you take them and thats for a photography forum.

it is live though. Hang on and ill put it in the blog section. been busy busy and forgot!

On 12 January 2018 at 14:15, B.C. said:

Bad luck Highy..... The clue is in the number.. ie "4000"..... Most smaller carp reels are around 5000/5500,  medium around 7000 and Big Pits 10,000 as a rough guide.  The number is to indicate spool size/line capacity, which in turn gives you an idea of overall reel size.... There are one or two exceptions, but if you see a reel advertised at "4000", or less, you will know that its a fairly small reel.

X

On 15 January 2018 at 10:51, yonny said:

I'm not sure that's the case BC. I've owned loads of big pits and they've all had smaller numbers. My Infinities were truly massive and they were 5500's. Tournies were 5000's. My current SS3000's are the same as size as the tournies. My old Shimmy Baitrunner 8000 GTE's were tiny!!! My brother had the Shimmy XT 10000 which were small where the 10000 XTA and XTB are massive. It makes no sense at all. I've never made any sense out of those numbers lol.

I think Shimano kind of got confused with numbering when Sea reels started being used for carp fishing:lol:

I remember buying early Shimano Baitrunners, having 3500's,  then 4000's Aero GTE's. Shimano then went over to 5010, 6010, 8010 being the same size as the 3500, 4000, and 4500. There was also the switch to 'Big Pits' and the Aerlex and Biomaster 8000 which were (and are still) good Big Pit reels, even with no Baitrunner, and the 10000/12000 size sea reels

Shimano then went back to the 2500, 4000, 6000, 8000 size reels in the baitrunners, and added a 10000. Of course with the sea reel mix and the coarse fishing ranges both are now intertwined, so its always worth having a good look in the hand.

1 hour ago, B.C. said:

JRC High Care Mat XL. 

Bigger than my current Chub mat, which I love... But fingers crossed, might need something bigger in the near future.

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/jrc-high-care-xl-mat

Looks like it would be decent to throw short session gear into as well and keep the weight down 

2 hours ago, B.C. said:

Some of this too, as I'll be jumping around waters at least until April when one of my tickets expires..... Better safe than sorry.

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/prologic-steri-7-xtra-personal-net-dip-concentrate

I like the idea mate. But try and find the research which shows it kills 99.999% of pathogens, including KHV. It doesn't exist. Or they won't release it to the public anyway. The government have not found a substance to totally kill KHV or SVC otherwise it would be on the market.

For all I know it could work but I can't seem to find any evidence. Same as the rod Hutchinson brand stuff now on the market. Still best to dry your equipment in sunlight for as long as possible. 

21 minutes ago, B.C. said:

but I can't find much else out there tbh, that is affordable...... I'm not sure that this gear is 100% fail proof, but something is better than nothing.

Rod Hutchinson do one and there's another one called PAL that I use. I'm not convinced they're effective tbh but I think it's inevitable that their use will become mandatory on many waters in the future.

1 hour ago, B.C. said:

I agree drying in sunlight is best, but at this time of year and also Autumn, it's harder to dry stuff properly and temps are mild enough to promote bacteria/viruses etc.... We had breakouts of KHV quiet late last year in my area and very close to some club waters. There would definitely be a cross over of anglers on these waters imo...... I tried to contact Prologic before Christmas to ask more about this product, but got no response whatsoever, which was disappointing, but I can't find much else out there tbh, that is affordable...... I'm not sure that this gear is 100% fail proof, but something is better than nothing. ... Totally get what you are saying mate, but jumping between a few different club lakes for next couple of months. If a product came out that was 100% proven, I'd jump all over it....

just wondering on this subject, how many anglers do as i do and after a catch just place their net out to dry?

i have seen anglers just drop their net on the bank , or even worse on a bank stick over the pool with the bottom drooping in the lake.

i drape mine out over my bivvy in dry weather as in my mind would also destroy any possible chance of me causing cross contamination.

'disclaimer'  I MAY BE WRONG!! :lol:

Just now, Dannygooner said:

Does no one else clean their nets after each session? I just assumed it was the done thing. Though I've come to notice my net is the only net that arrives lakeside smelling of zoflora each session lol. As yonny said though, it's the stinky net I can't be dealing with. It goes in a few black sacks end of session, then gets boiling hot water, zoflora and bleach treated when home. Takes 5 minutes

mine is quite safe, i hardly ever use it.

i have been known to dip it in the lake when packing up just so i can say i got it wet :lol: