Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
adders60

What is your newest purchase

Just to let everyone know, the ongoing discussion is still active but now here:

I have tried to leave the relevant posts in place, and Elmo's first one includes Steve's quote.

Newest purchase, PVA.

Just went through a box in my bedroom cupboard, found a still wrapped bulk spool of each 10lb Korum line and Gardner Pro Blend 15lb.

I’ve been pretty good this year, no major purchases...that I remember anyway lol.

5kg of sticky krill 16mm boilies

My rebate has just came through so a new fishing kayak and god knows what else might be on the cards 😂👍

On 09 June 2019 at 22:29, snowmanstevo said:

embrace technology..... the only people who hate it are dole cheat skin flints 😉🙄😬😎😎🎣 

Well i'm not a dole cheat skin flint and i can't afford one.

I'm a father of 3 who goes out to work every day and pay my bills!

2 hours ago, Andy Hull said:

Well i'm not a dole cheat skin flint and i can't afford one.

I'm a father of 3 who goes out to work every day and pay my bills!

I’m a father of 3 and grandad of 1 and I also work and do any overtime offered. I’ve mulled over buying one for 12months and after putting a bit of spare penny’s away got one for £190 plus the spinner rig pack........ all about the timing innit 😉😬

On 09/06/2019 at 22:29, snowmanstevo said:

if I’m cheating then I’ll take that on board..... embrace technology..... the only people who hate it are dole cheat skin flints

Not true my friend.

I could go and buy one tomorrow.

But I won't because I consider myself and angler😎

3 minutes ago, yonny said:

Not true my friend.

I did mull over the idea for a while,but some of my club waters would take an age to map out and with the spare time I have Yonny made the decision that it would help me no end. And even with a deeper I still consider myself an angler,just one that’s got a helping hand 😬

11 minutes ago, yonny said:

Not true my friend.

that is the only reason I have not bought one yet don't get me wrong the mapping of a water in much less time would be a great bonus but if im fishing for four days on a water that I cant move pegs and don't catch fair enough at least ive tried my best but if I had a deeper pro and I could see my swim had no fish coming in to explore my water that would send my head into melt down 

as I have said above the mapping advantage they give is great but fishing is about the anticipation of catching along with my limited skill (ha ha) so the fish showing feature takes that away 

15 minutes ago, snowmanstevo said:

I did mull over the idea for a while,but some of my club waters would take an age to map out and with the spare time I have Yonny made the decision that it would help me no end. And even with a deeper I still consider myself an angler,just one that’s got a helping hand 😬

I mapped out a few lakes completely, or as best as I could with marker float, rod and reel, and use of a boat.

On Earith it took a couple of weeks to do the whole lake.

I also did the original depth maps for Suffolk Water Park and Taverham Mills.

I do have a Google Earth screenshot of Nazeing South with depths in.

The Deeper Pro would make life easier, but I still prefer the older method, proper Luddite I am.

I suppose the deeper will go down with the bait boat argument people will always call it cheating (personally I don’t have a bait boat) but my post was that some people don’t/won’t embrace technology...... among other things that has seemingly stirred up a hornets nest.

1 minute ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I mapped out a few lakes completely, or as best as I could with marker float, rod and reel, and use of a boat.

On Earith it took a couple of weeks to do the whole lake.

I also did the original depth maps for Suffolk Water Park and Taverham Mills.

I do have a Google Earth screenshot of Nazeing South with depths in.

The Deeper Pro would make life easier, but I still prefer the older method, proper Luddite I am.

See that’s the main reason for me getting one Nick. I’m lucky to get one 24hr session a month,most are day sessions or this time of year a 6hr after work session due to the longer days. My work sees me doing ridiculous hours and it’s nit unknown for me to go 4-6wks without wetting a line. That’s just my circumstances.

12 minutes ago, yonny said:

Mapping a swim/lake is one thing. Using it to look for fish is another. Removes all elements of watercraft imo.

luckily its useless as a fish finder, yes you will find fish as it travels over a certain location but that means nothing at all. A fish could swim underneath it and it will show up, could be the other end of the lake before you have reeled the deeper in. I was sceptical of them even as mapping tools but after seeing them in use they are brilliant bits of kit. If someone uses it to find fish then more fool them as it just doesnt work like that. 

1 minute ago, greekskii said:

luckily its useless as a fish finder, yes you will find fish as it travels over a certain location but that means nothing at all. A fish could swim underneath it and it will show up, could be the other end of the lake before you have reeled the deeper in. I was sceptical of them even as mapping tools but after seeing them in use they are brilliant bits of kit. If someone uses it to find fish then more fool them as it just doesnt work like that. 

now for me that puts a whole new prospective on it 

See i wasn’t too fussed about the fish finding option....... most of my chosen waters are reasonably shallow so one cast on there heads would see them do the off but my club book has 30+ still waters ranging from 60acre meres to old deep sand quarry’s they will take me a hell of a lot of time to mark out....... something I just don’t have.

It's a personal thing at the end of the day. For me it's all about the sense of achievement when you work it out and the journey that takes you there.

Nature did not intend for us to see what's under the surface. That mystery of what lies beneath is a gift to us anglers imo. The unknown, the "what if's", is what keeps me going back for more. Catching fish is not the sole reason I am there. It is the act of trying to catch them, working out where they like to be, where they like to feed, what they like to feed on. Nature gives us a million clues and it is acting on those clues that I enjoy. There is no merit, for me personally, in ignoring those clues and instead using a camera or sonar to tell me what the score is. I'd sooner give up fishing tbh. Get rid of that journey of discovery and I'm not interested.

All my biggest successes in angling have come from tuning into waters, following the clues that nature gives me, reading the signs. Nature will tell you how to catch them if you look hard and long enough and it's that bit that I enjoy. I get so enthralled by the journey, it's almost like becoming part of the lake itself. The journey ends when you have the fish you're after in the net, then it's time to move on to a new journey, to become part of some other lake.

If I caught a fish I really wanted using a fish finder I would be absolutely GUTTED. It would steal that journey from me. Hence, I'll never, ever use one.

I would add that in all my days, on all the waters I've fished, with all the anglers I've met, that I could count the number of what I consider to be good and successful anglers that use these things on one hand. The best anglers are so tuned into the waters they fish that they'll spot the tiny clues that really matter and be on them fishing for them before Mr. Bloggs has managed to switch his fish finder on.

Reading through the comments about the deeper pro  . Not personally something I would buy , But I have fished with mates who use them & they show up fish & the depth there at very well from what I've seen & the mapping function is of the quality you would normally have to get a team in to carry out for you . No doubt a fantastic bit of kit .... But you have to make that choice if it's something you want in your fishing. 

I agree with Yonny on this one 🎣

7 hours ago, yonny said:
7 hours ago, carpyian said:

if I had a deeper pro and I could see my swim had no fish coming in to explore my water

Mapping a swim/lake is one thing. Using it to look for fish is another. Removes all elements of watercraft imo.

6 hours ago, elmoputney said:

When you say mapping the lake does it show clean spots and weedbeds etc

Fish finding is one thing, catching them quite another! Unless you're at sea what's the point? 

Tech is a tool, an edge, I was gifted the Bobbler, cheaper version of above, but its still in the box. Boats have amazing GPS sonar etc. but it doesn't show you what the lakebed consists of. 

I have the fishspy camera which I will use if I'm fishing an unknown water and it's use is like a marker float so I know the depth and exactly what I'm fishing on. When time is limited, and it always is, I love that edge & knowledge that I am presenting my bait. Just cos you feel the thud of the lead, it doesn't mean you're rig is sitting nicely, which is important. 

As is nearly always said on here, each to his own, but why do we feel the need to slate someone for doing something you don't??? 

3 minutes ago, commonly said:

Mapping a swim/lake is one thing. Using it to look for fish is another. Removes  all elements of watercraft imo. 

totally agree think you missed the point I was trying to make my point was if your in a swin on a day ticket and there for a few days and not able to move swims then the deeper is showing not even a tadpole in your swim just confirms that your camping for a few days was not saying id use it for fish finding that's the whole reason im in two minds  to buy one the marking out of the swim in less than half the time and less disturbance is what is getting me to think about buying one but also will I buy it then it just sits in my bag