Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
adders60

What is your newest purchase

Yonnie said “It's a personal thing at the end of the day. For me it's all about the sense of achievement when you work it out and the journey that takes you there.” I think that is all that needs to be said. If you like to use a sonar then do, if you don’t then don’t. I have to smile when someone criticises the technology in a Deeper and then uses the latest high tech rods and reels (which have had far more research and funds invested in them than in the Deeper) to get out to their fishing spots.

Then Yonnie said “Nature did not intend for us to see what's under the surface.” Is that why water is transparent? 😉

Bait boats never interested me until I got arthritis and could no longer reach my spots by casting. When I bought one, it soon changed my prejudices.  Now I use it for every cast, even if it is just a pub chuck.

I bought a Deeper when they first came out. Why people refer to it as a fish finder beats me. It is an echo sounder. If it happens to pick up a fish that does not mean it will be there when you cast. Conversely, if you see no fish, it does not mean they are not there.

It is best used to find features. Used in combination with a bait boat it is a very useful tool. For example, I recently fished a very attractive eddy in a powerful river but lost a large fish in snags. The Deeper revealed that the eddy was a magnet for sunken trees. I changed my technique to fish locked up downstream of the huge snags and managed to catch. Without knowing where the snags were that would have been difficult.

As far as I can tell, the new version of the Deeper just adds a third, very high frequency transducer. I cannot imagine how I would be able to make use of that feature and for an extra £70 or so it does not seem like good value to me.

At the end of the day – just enjoy your fishing your own way.

44 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

It is best used to find features.

For me the carp themselves are the best feature finding tool. All the spots I fish are shown to me by fish exhibiting feeding behaviour. I'm not bothered where all the other features are tbh.

52 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

At the end of the day – just enjoy your fishing your own way.

That.

I envy your opportunity to observe carp. Most of the waters I fish are large deep reservoirs and the opportunities to observe carp behaviour are limited. I do have access to a smaller private gravel pit where I spend much more time watching the carp than I do fishing. Its horses for courses.

37 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

I envy your opportunity to observe carp. Most of the waters I fish are large deep reservoirs and the opportunities to observe carp behaviour are limited. I do have access to a smaller private gravel pit where I spend much more time watching the carp than I do fishing. Its horses for courses.

Tbh if  the choice was just to watch fish in gin clear water or  actually catch them. I'd probably take the 1st option  I love watching them I remember  I watched some tench in a  French public lake for hours once.  It really does amaze me for some reason 

Never used a bait boat or a deeper but I’m considering getting them in the future, I think a deeper would be more use but I do fish small lakes sometimes where a boat would be handy lol. I think anything like that for fishing is amazing...

my dad on the other hand hates it all, calls it cheating and I’m sure I’ve heard him say something like “might aswell chuck in a stick of dynamite and blow them out the water” 😂😂😂

11 hours ago, yonny said:

For me the carp themselves are the best feature finding tool. All the spots I fish are shown to me by fish exhibiting feeding behaviour. I'm not bothered where all the other features are tbh.

A wise old fishermen once told me something , after chatting with him on the bank of a weedy big pit I was struggling on a bit . We got chatting about trying to find spots . He stopped me in my tracks

" there are no spots only fish " 

On 13/06/2019 at 11:26, greekskii said:

luckily its useless as a fish finder, yes you will find fish as it travels over a certain location but that means nothing at all. A fish could swim underneath it and it will show up, could be the other end of the lake before you have reeled the deeper in. I was sceptical of them even as mapping tools but after seeing them in use they are brilliant bits of kit. If someone uses it to find fish then more fool them as it just doesnt work like that. 

I only used the fish finder on my boat once.

I found a group of fish about 40 yards in front of me, by the time I got the boat back in with the rig in they had gone, spent the next 2 hours chasing the dish with a boat.

Never used it again 😂

Spent a good hour or so with the Deeper mapping out the water in front of me , I now have the topography of the lake bed in my head now as well as on the deeper , this sort of information would have taken at least a day to achieve with just the marker .

Still use the marker to confirm what I think the bottom is made of , 

Great piece of kit along with my baitboat  happy days and nights  ,and thats what its all about , My Happy days and nights .

If you use a bait boat Davyd, you can tow the deeper behind and watch progress on your mapped area on your smart phone or tablet. You can then drop exactly on any feature you wish. I have attached a photo of my set up. The tablet fixes straight on to the bait boat controller. The Deeper has a line attached to a spring clip to quickly attach it to the bait boat. The plastic box has velcro underneath to also attach quickly to the bait boat.. If I want to map beyond wifi range I put the tablet in the box, buzz up and down in the bait boat, then review the mapping afterwards.

deeper.jpg

6 minutes ago, finchey said:

Screenshot_20190618-191553.thumb.png.838fbff1be6b16f6c2122d5b1f8d808f.pngstickey Krill 16mm shelf life boilie's. 

Stickey Krill active mix powder. 

Stickey Krill cloudy liquid. 

15ltr bucket. 

Get them boilies glugged n pimped up with the powder giving em a good coating...

Ordered some banktackle hooks, wide gape and curve shank. 

I've not had there hooks before but I've had there other terminal tackle which was good quality and I've heard good things about there hooks so I thought I'd give them a try. 👍

1 hour ago, finchey said:

I've not had there hooks before but I've had there other terminal tackle which was good quality and I've heard good things about there hooks so I thought I'd give them a try. 👍

I like there hooks, I quite like the continentals at the moment but I have had some of all of them just to play with they will all do a good job tbh and usually sharp out the packet 

7 hours ago, finchey said:

You won't be disappointed. Good hooks. Like Elmo, I use their continentals and have never been let down by them. They are sharp, and stay sharp. And Bank Tackles service is 2nd to none.

21 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

This feels more like a confession 😁

Ngt food bag 

Avid outline leader 

Self inflating memory foam camping mattress (to go on my aged bedchair as I have got a bad back) 

10x 3.5 oz dumpy distance leads 

Rocwood Barrow 

Haha! Just bought the same for my French trip! Quick overnighter not required, but after a week on my bedchair I'm walking like a cross between Douglas Bader and C-3PO!!

A few other little odds and ends that at the time you can't do without, but I don't expect I'll ever use them truth be known lol!!