Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
adders60

What is your newest purchase

1 hour ago, yonny said:

I wasn't impressed by the sharpness of these. That said, I think all off-the-shelf hooks are positively blunt out of the packet.

I do want to get into hook sharpening is there a good kit that doesn't cost £50? 

36 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I do want to get into hook sharpening is there a good kit that doesn't cost £50? 

I'm sure there is somewhere mate.

I use the JAG stuff which is pricey but imo it's worth it.

There are very few thing that really, really matter in carp angling; hooks, lines, bait.

Everything else is superficial. Shelters, bedchairs, bankware etc etc.... even rods and reels. None of it really matters imo, they have little relevance when it comes to catching carp.

Hooks on the other hand..... they are the single most important piece of tackle we have. Get them wrong and none of the other stuff matters. Same with lines and baits.

I would rather spend £1000 on the sharpest hooks available and fish with no shelter/bedchair/bankware etc than use off-the-shelf hooks and be comfortable. They're one of the only things that I won't let price hold me back on. I'll spend as much as it takes to get the sharpest hooks, the best lines, and the most effective bait I can.

I bought the JAG kit for 50 quid maybe 6 or 7 years ago. After numerous 40 lb fish and I don't even know how many 30's, all on sharpened hooks, I consider that an absolute BARGAIN.

20 minutes ago, yonny said:

I'm sure there is somewhere mate.

I use the JAG stuff which is pricey but imo it's worth it.

There are very few thing that really, really matter in carp angling; hooks, lines, bait.

Everything else is superficial. Shelters, bedchairs, bankware etc etc.... even rods and reels. None of it really matters imo, they have little relevance when it comes to catching carp.

Hooks on the other hand..... they are the single most important piece of tackle we have. Get them wrong and none of the other stuff matters. Same with lines and baits.

I would rather spend £1000 on the sharpest hooks available and fish with no shelter/bedchair/bankware etc than use off-the-shelf hooks and be comfortable. They're one of the only things that I won't let price hold me back on. I'll spend as much as it takes to get the sharpest hooks, the best lines, and the most effective bait I can.

I bought the JAG kit for 50 quid maybe 6 or 7 years ago. After numerous 40 lb fish and I don't even know how many 30's, all on sharpened hooks, I consider that an absolute BARGAIN.

Good answer and makes a lot of sense tbh, I might get a good file and the ngt hook holder thing because the holder isn't doing the sharpening it's the file that really counts I guess, and the one really stinky winky ngt Item I got was there braid blades they couldn't cut a blade of grass let alone a braid so I wouldn't be confident it sharpens well 

@elmoputney, get a few packs of very cheap hooks just to practise on, it can take a while to get the hang of hand-sharpening. Then, once you're confident, start sharpening your proper hooks. Make sure you get an eye loupe/magnifier too (at least X 20, if not more), they are important. You will be amazed by the difference all this stuff makes, and you'll be amazed by how blunt off-the-shelf hooks really are out of the packet.

Have a look at the vid below, it'll give you a decent starting point in terms of technique.

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I use a fox diamond hook sharpener casting €6 -€7. It has a coarse and smooth side and a groove to guide the hook. I hold the hook in a pair of mini mole-grips which cost €2. Works perfectly for me and a cheap solution.

https://gardnertackle.co.uk/product/hook-stone/

hook sharpener.jpg

17 minutes ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

They are, i bought one the other day waiting for it to be delivered. You can’t go wrong with Gardner tackle in my opinion.

Can I ask where from and the price ? cheers

9 hours ago, oscsha said:

Can I ask where from and the price ? cheers

Sorry mate I bought the hook doctor thinking it was this off eBay 😂... thought it was cheap for 6 quid 😓. Think your right it’s not been released yet...

Edited by Its-grim-up-north

On 20/06/2019 at 03:17, smufter said:

You won't be disappointed. Good hooks. Like Elmo, I use their continentals and have never been let down by them. They are sharp, and stay sharp. And Bank Tackles service is 2nd to none.

Top service of banktackle as usual I ordered my hooks before work Wednesday morning and they arrived Thursday morning.👍 

21 hours ago, yonny said:

I wasn't impressed by the sharpness of these. That said, I think all off-the-shelf hooks are positively blunt out of the packet.

As for the sharpness they seem sharp enough straight out of the packet to me but I no hook expert. 

All I can do is give them a go and see how it goes. 👍 

8 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

Sorry mate I bought the hook doctor thinking it was this off eBay 😂... thought it was cheap for 6 quid 😓. Think your right it’s not been released yet...

So what do you think of the hook doctor any good or not worth bothering with? 👍 

21 hours ago, yonny said:

I wasn't impressed by the sharpness of these. 

That surprises me Yonny.
I have used plenty of Bank Tackle hooks, (love their Continentals), and have always been very pleased with just how sharp they are out of the packet, and how long they keep their sharpness.

Edited by smufter

37 minutes ago, smufter said:

That surprises me Yonny.
I have used plenty of Bank Tackle hooks, (love their Continentals), and have always been very pleased with just how sharp they are out of the packet, and how long they keep their sharpness.

I think if you read into the post a little  more he goes on to suggest that pretty much all hooks straight out the pack could be improved upon by sharpening, I spent the day learning about sharpening yesterday  and I can really only see benefits for doing this now, 

I like bank tackle hooks but I think i would like them more if they were really really really sharp 

44 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I think if you read into the post a little  more he goes on to suggest that pretty much all hooks straight out the pack could be improved upon by sharpening

Exactly that👍

44 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I can really only see benefits for doing this now,

There is one disadvantage.... RUST. When you sharpen you remove the coating (most hook are coated or plated to protect from corrosion). This can be worse on some waters than others i.e. waters with particularly high or low pH can rust hooks rather quickly. There are a few of solutions to this:

Vaseline - Not great but does a job

Hook protection pens - Reasonably effective but pricey for what they are imo

Anti Rust Compound - Very, very effective but also expensive

Bees wax - Cheap enough but not great to use

And the best....... Crayons (believe it or not lol). Rub a crayon up and down the sharpened section 2 or 3 times - this leaves a fine coating. Then 'lick' the sharpened area with a lighter (don't hold the flame to the hook, just a "lick" is what you want). This melts the wax coating to the hook point without compromising the sharpness. It's important you hold the hook orientated so any wax run-off falls away from the hook point (towards the barb) while doing this.

13 hours ago, finchey said:

So what do you think of the hook doctor any good or not worth bothering with? 👍 

I use the gardener (point) hook doctor 2...every cast/recast is 1 or 2 little rubs and i have a green (metal) pen to tip them over (act as weed/algae)

I bought the Jag full monty thingy...... file,vice,eyeglass,red and green stone...... I was rubbish at it for ages 🙄🙄😂😂

There was a post on here about what rig bits you keep after a fish/session....... well mine was hooks and I practised and then practiced some more...... I’m ok at it now tbf 😬😎

I use the grease/oils from my eyebrows and side of my nose to stop any rusting but in saying that i rarely get out than more than 24hrs nowadays so I’ve never had a problem with rusting 😬