Jump to content

What is your newest purchase


Recommended Posts

On 04/02/2021 at 23:26, salokcinnodrog said:

I was never into nicking hubcaps, mine were 2pence pieces falling into a baccy tin. 

I did get a mercury switch drop off indicator for pike fishing and some antenna alarm, can't remember it's name, but it was the size of half a brick. Optonics followed, and I made my own sounder box. They lasted a few years until I got Delkim ST's. 

 

Rods I went through a few. Shakespeare ledger rod for tench and carp, used with the stiff tip which had a screw in ring. Daiwa Specimen rod, then North Westerns followed by Armalites. 

Reels, Mitchell's, Daiwa AG1350, Abu Cardinals, then Ultracast Cardinals, Shimano 3500 Sea Spin's then Aero4000Gte Bait runner's. 

 

When I was doing my City and Guilds in Engineering I made my own stainless buzz bars, with a screw in plug so that I could fill in the centre of rear 3 rod bar and convert it to front 2 rod, I made my stainless monkey climber needles with a screw thread at the base and a satellite bar for them to go in on my Gardner Rod pod as well. 

 

 

Oh yes, another identical blank to the one I purchased last week for pike fishing. The reel seats and rings turned up today with the back ordered blank, and some 3mm foam to tidy up my Solar stainless back rests. 

Think I might be busy now. 

This weekend is sorted, watching 6 nations, Superbowl and rod building. Reckon they might be finished Monday... 

First one is built already, the second just needs a coat of rod varnish. 

I felt rough yesterday, lacked motivation, so once I had walked Sky and cleaned the car, I just settled down into whipping rod eyes and fitting reel seats, an easy repetitive job. 

The second rod will be varnished today, given an overnight dry and ready Monday. 

Looking at the forecast it might be snow pike time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A week on Redmire. My mate managed to get through last week so the 3 of us have the last week in September 

New sleep system - going down well!  Room for 2 no arguments!    

Gorgeous... sounds like Rolling Thunder 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

First one is built already, the second just needs a coat of rod varnish. 

I felt rough yesterday, lacked motivation, so once I had walked Sky and cleaned the car, I just settled down into whipping rod eyes and fitting reel seats, an easy repetitive job. 

The second rod will be varnished today, given an overnight dry and ready Monday. 

Looking at the forecast it might be snow pike time!

Isn't the varnish the tricky part of rod building, i know malc rooker had a table that kept the rods turning while drying, sure he used to use a epoxy resin to coat the whippings, he had a lovely rod building set up in his shop you just see it in todays tackle shops. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 like a coffee but much prefer tea, Tesco's gold cheap and just as nice as the Yorkshire Gold, what i have been drinking these past few weeks and will be going in my brew kit is Camp coffee, forgot how nice that is, oh and as i'm a nice guy and not a secret squirrel, the Camp is said to be a very good fish attracter when used right?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Isn't the varnish the tricky part of rod building, i know malc rooker had a table that kept the rods turning while drying, sure he used to use a epoxy resin to coat the whippings, he had a lovely rod building set up in his shop you just see it in todays tackle shops. 

Yes Mate. 

I used to have a machine that constantly rotated the rods myself, but now they get turned every few minutes by hand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Yes Mate. 

I used to have a machine that constantly rotated the rods myself, but now they get turned every few minutes by hand. 

A guy I know who builds rods made his own out of the old radio cassette player motets and said they were the perfect speed for varnishing   He will probably give me a right rollicking if he knew but I don’t think he builds anymore I’ve not been in touch since his tackle shop closed

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

A guy I know who builds rods made his own out of the old radio cassette player motets and said they were the perfect speed for varnishing   He will probably give me a right rollicking if he knew but I don’t think he builds anymore I’ve not been in touch since his tackle shop closed

Motors lol predict txt

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, framey said:

Sweet orange essential oil 

cinnamon essential oil 

aniseed essential oil 

icing sugar  

egg white powder 

couple of other pieces to get as the local supermarket didn’t have them in 

Are those essential oils the ones they use a few drops of in the burners framey

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

Only reason I was asking is because I’ve often wondered myself if if they are the essential oils the bait companies use when you here of essential oils is all

It wouldn’t surprise me if they are all the same

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2021 at 17:43, Carpmaster said:

Only reason I was asking is because I’ve often wondered myself if if they are the essential oils the bait companies use when you here of essential oils is all

You can use EO as long as it is 100% pure, H & B is a good spot to pick them up nomally.

Edited by hutch
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some orange blaze fluorescent enamel to recolour the tops of some bright yellow marker floats that I struggle to see and a new pair of TFG Explorer boots after my 5year old pair sole came free while walking round Alton Water today. 

 

Essential oils, make sure you get 100% quality, many aromatherapy oils are cut with a carrier. 

Cut with olive or coconut oil is OK, but some of the oils use baby oil type carriers 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2021 at 09:28, framey said:

Nutrabaits book of baits 1st edition and 2nd edition 

won it on eBay last night👍

In one of them or a Nutrabaits Bait catalogue magazine is a slightly tongue in cheek article on essential oils. If it is in one of them can you scan or get a pic and send it to me please

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...