Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Reedy11

Jason from Bedforshire Carp Question

Hi all!

Started carp fishing about 2 months ago, I have been now about 7-8 times and I have tried several lakes such as Toddington fisheries, Coots corner, Hitchin and Manor Farm.

Sadly, I have only landed one carp so far weighing at 7.5lbs, I would like to catch more fish but I'm still enjoying it as I know that's not what it's all about. Any tips would be more than appreciated, I have listed my set up:

-2x rods - fairly standard, my newest is a Maver Abyss.

-2x HD860 carp 6BB reels (have baitrunners)

-Method set up - using decent method mix

-Hair rig - Using Floro pop up boilies which are very bright, also have spicy tuna and scopex pop ups.

-Rod stands, Bite alarms, chairs bivvy ect..

My question is, is this kind of set up ok for this time of year? Also are carp now too cautious of boilies in overfished lakes, would sweetcorn on the hair rig be better or is it perhaps the fact that I need to learn where to cast to catch carp?

Would love to hear what you think, I know beginners always ask the same question; What am I doing wrong? I know that a lot of it is about patience but if there is anything I am missing, please let me know :)

Jason

Hi Jason , nice first post . Hopefully you will stick with your new found hobby and if you do you will soon come to accept carp fishing even on easier waters aint as easy as you may think . I would find yourself a well

stocked water and stick with it for a while it will enable you to try new things and learn about the lake , the bottom,where fish feed when they feed and so on , all these things you will use on other lakes in the years to come .

At this time of year a lot of lakes start to slow down but you can still catch, try smaller single baits with a few free offerings , maggots can also work well .

Look for the fish if they can be seen rolling or patrolling the margins then thats where you need to fish , most of all enjoy it and when you do catch it makes it all the more enjoyable, good luck. John.

Welcome to the forum :D

I have to say, a nice little introduction to yourself.

Now here is an honest answer for you, from somebody who uses probably far TOO MANY boilies, and that is I would honestly avoid them. Better baits by far are probably sweetcorn, luncheon meat, Peperami and the like of bread and groundbait.

Fish waters with plenty of carp in, (maybe overstocked) as some 'big fish' waters are very difficult, and you may well get to the stage that although enjoying it at the moment, it could get soul destroying.

Learn as much as you can from your fishing, the fish, their location, the water itself, depths, where the fish like to hide, and what they feed and are caught on. You may be annoyed by catching smaller silver fish, but by catching them (even when carp fishing), you can learn a lot about the water and the location of the fish. Also the smaller fish feeding may well bring in interest from the carp if the food is in place to hold them in the area.

Most of all, keep on having fun

Hello mate and welcome to the forum.

A few things that I have learned:

Keep it simple. Don't try to tie over complicated rigs from the start. Tie a simple rig, and tie it well before you start to change it up.

Maggots are a fantastic bait in the winter.

As everyone else has said, find yourself a nice little runs water. If you are fishing a hard water then it keeps your confidence up to visit an easy water every now and then and bank a few.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great replies, all of your advise has been really useful and I appreciate your warm welcome to the forum.

Thought I would update you on my latest fishing venture after taking all of your advice.

Today I went back to Manor Farm and fished the Becks lake, I picked up a pair of Polaroid glasses (I know it's not that sunny but they did help,) walked around the lake for a while to find a decent spot where there are visible fish, the wind is blowing towards and there are other signs of activity and set up.

I decided to take the advice of trying maggots on maggot clips that I picked up from the tackle shop and they worked great! As I said in the first post, I have been using boilies all along and not caught anything for 7 times in a row, tried maggots (a much more natural bait that carp are less likely to be suspicious of) and caught twice! I got a nice little tench (I think) and a 12lb carp :) I have uploaded pics below.

Thanks again for your advice.

All the best,

Jason.

9hox08.jpg

sxdq82.jpg

Hello mate welcome to the forum , they are mostly a great bunch on here and you'll learn loads .

Catching little bream like you did in your first pic is probably the one downside to using maggots . All part of the learning curve though .

Enjoy mate enjoy.

Hi Jason. You dont look to be doing much wrong, you've caught a few.

Just remember to keep enjoying it, thats what its all about.

As for tips...I'll bet you are recasting a lot, thats just over enthusiasm, casting is fun! I'd say be a little more patient over your fishing, always look after the fish as best you can, good unhooking mat etc Once you have the basics down the rest just falls into place. And not forgetting simplicity, carp angling seems to be set in the 'you must use buzzers' vein. There is nothing more exciting than watching a float, just because they are carp doesnt mean you cant catch them on one.

Oh yeah, dont forget to smell the roses along the way, theres more to fishing than catching fish. :D

As for tips...I'll bet you are recasting a lot, thats just over enthusiasm, casting is fun! I'd say be a little more patient over your fishing, always look after the fish as best you can, good unhooking mat etc Once you have the basics down the rest just falls into place. And not forgetting simplicity, carp angling seems to be set in the 'you must use buzzers' vein. There is nothing more exciting than watching a float, just because they are carp doesnt mean you cant catch them on one.

Oh yeah, dont forget to smell the roses along the way, theres more to fishing than catching fish. :D

What a cracking post. A heads up for some and a gentle reminder for others.

Ian

What a cracking post. A heads up for some and a gentle reminder for others.

Ian

2 excellent posts.

What Mr. Canontroop hasn't said is, I believe, one of his favourite carp fishing methods is sitting watching a float with a worm on the hook :wink:

Jason,

You caught, and caught well, never ever forget those simple baits, and they do work. You've discovered that get the small fish feeding, and the larger carp may well move in. That skimmer bream looks in good condition and that is a nice lean fighting machine of a carp.

Keep on learning, and keep on enjoying :!:

Hello to a fellow Bedfordshire based carper!

Every post here has been excellent, lots of good info for you to go with. Dont worry about tackle, aslong as you can land and unhook a fish safely then thumbs up.

Maybe try chestnut pool if you want to get some fish under your belt.

http://www.chestnutpool.co.uk/

Pete and Jane run the place well and its full of good hard fighters. Would be a good place for you to try things out and help is always at hand if you need it.

Keep things simple mate, well done on your captures :D

Phil