Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
bones46

Daftest trends in carp fishing

Oh Sam you are funny! Now we're on 1st name terms call me Pat, Patrick is so....Mumsy. Im gonna call you Watson from now on being as you're such a little detective. If we ever meet we could be a partnership!

As for posting your details Sam I wouldnt do that really. Im an IT professional working in education. They kinda teach you that kind of thing is wrong believe it or not.

Anyways heres a lovely piccy of my daughter messing about with her Melody Maker save you posting it Sam, the Les Paul is mine, gorgeous isnt it!

P1000233.jpg

I'm in love with that Gibson Les Paul. How old is it, Pat?

I've got an Eko Ranger 12 string which I bought, secondhand, when I was 21. I'm 64 now so it's lasting quite well!

Ian

Cork handles? Oh yes, mate! Mad for them..... I get mixed reactions to them on the bank.

The more mature (!) anglers fall in love with them and the youth element seem to think they belong in a museum despite the rods being a mere 6 years old. :shock:

I occasionally have a go with my son's rods which are fashionably slim and it's like casting with a long knitting pin. I just prefer the added butt diameter and guaranteed grip level, regardless of weather conditions.

At the risk of being berated, I also like the look of them!

Ian

I broke the tip off on of my old Tri-Cast that Mr Leatherbarrow had rebuilt for me, gutted I was. He made me a couple of Harrison Ballista's in 2.5tc to replace them, cork handles the full trip, thats when I bought the Basia's, think I got a bit light headed with meself!

Anyways the Ballista's just werent the same, too tippy compared to what I was used too so they got retired to the loft where they are now.

I bought 3 NG's in 3.5tc, just the best carp fishing rods on the market for me and like the minipits are reels for life the NG's are rods for life! Lovely bend in them all the way to the butt just like the Tri-Cast. Standard builds tho so no cork, cant have it all!

Me old NorthWestern with cork by Colin is still going strong over 30 years after Granny bought it me! Use it a lot, get funny looks over the centrepin but hey ho, they dont know what theyre missing out on!

Leatherbarrow! Thanks mate, I've been trying to remember the gentleman's name for a while. Memory is odd, I find. I could, from memory, drive from here, Brum, to his shop in Manchester yet couldn't remember Colin's surname. :shock: Westmorland Road, Urmston, Manchester...is that correct?

It's my age, you know. :roll:

Ian

Thats the one, did you go to his house or did he still have the shop then? He works from his little man cave in the garden now, fancy that meself knocking valve amps up or something. Cant beat a bit of pottering in the garden!

He had the shop and I've still got the polo shirt with Custom Built Fishing Rods embroidered on the front.

Ian

Oh Sam you are funny! Now we're on 1st name terms call me Pat, Patrick is so....Mumsy. Im gonna call you Watson from now on being as you're such a little detective. If we ever meet we could be a partnership!

As for posting your details Sam I wouldnt do that really. Im an IT professional working in education. They kinda teach you that kind of thing is wrong believe it or not.

Anyways heres a lovely piccy of my daughter messing about with her Melody Maker save you posting it Sam, the Les Paul is mine, gorgeous isnt it!

P1000233.jpg

I'm in love with that Gibson Les Paul. How old is it, Pat?

I've got an Eko Ranger 12 string which I bought, secondhand, when I was 21. I'm 64 now so it's lasting quite well!

Ian

My EKO 6 string bought in 1979 is still going strong , hardly ever goes out of tune!

The very fact that you keep going on about your buzzers, shows that you are proud of them. Thats what it is all about, being proud of your gear.

Ironically, a lot of the the older tackle you have refered too, is now the tartiest tackle you can own (see pics below)

As i have mentioned a million times, its about being happy with your own tackle, and the confidence it guves you.

Although no-one is willing to admit to ever owning Bitech Vipers or Daiwa Sensitrons :wink::lol:

As Ian points out, I had been keeping an eye on the thread as well, definitely got twitchy fingers at the moment :twisted::lol:

I dont understand the bashing people get for folding reel handles in. Some of the decent buzz bars out there ARE quite narrow and folding the handles in mean they are easier and quicker to lift off the butt rests. Id rather do that than knock all my rods off.

I dont understand the bashing people get for folding reel handles in. Some of the decent buzz bars out there ARE quite narrow and folding the handles in mean they are easier and quicker to lift off the butt rests. Id rather do that than knock all my rods off.

Maybe it would be better to buy wider bars?

Maybe it would be better to buy wider bars?

Or even better to just let people fold their reel handles? I own several Daiwa reels and it's true, the handles almost click into place on their own. Not that I fold the handles, though.

Having said that I'd add that I much prefer the use of separate banksticks, as far apart as I can reasonably place them. And, yes, they're stainless because they're stronger than aluminium ones, if a little heavier.

I also own two pods, one of which can be converted to goalpost arrangement but due to my preference for separate sticks neither pod gets much use.

To each, his own.

Ian

Personally I leave the handle still, and fold the rod and reel up.

Seeing how angry it makes people, I certainly won't be stopping anytime soon :lol:

As a user of chunky stainless for a few years, I would say that a JAG prolite set of sticks is one of the greatest purchases I have made for a long time. Indestructible and weighs naff all.

I need to see a photo of your handles in the open position, and the rods and reels folded in :lol::lol:

I don't. I'd rather look at nice guitars.

Ian

I need to see a photo of your handles in the open position, and the rods and reels folded in :lol::lol:

I don't. I'd rather look at nice guitars.

Ian

that les paul is one of the nicest guitars iv ever seen..i want it :cry:

What I have found amusing is the guys that turn up in all the camo, drive down, park right next to their swim and get out of a BRIGHT WHITE TRANSIT !!!!!! :D:D

BTW, the LP is nice, but I prefer the sound and look of a Strat !! :D

What I have found amusing is the guys that turn up in all the camo, drive down, park right next to their swim and get out of a BRIGHT WHITE TRANSIT !!!!!! :D:D

BTW, the LP is nice, but I prefer the sound and look of a Strat !! :D

You've obviously seen an ex-mate DC fishing around then :lol::lol::twisted:

In the Milton Keynes area the 'beachcaster' style was often adopted , not so much the rig, but the style of having the rod vertical , pointing at the sky . The idea was to keep the line off of the water , I actually wet myself with laughter the first time I saw it , does anyone remember this 'fashion'?

Just to clarify , I mean the rod attached to a pole in the ground and the rod pointing to the sky , not using a beachcaster rod pod. At Linear the rod was attached so it looked like a radio antenna. Did any of you ever use this method?

In the Milton Keynes area the 'beachcaster' style was often adopted , not so much the rig, but the style of having the rod vertical , pointing at the sky . The idea was to keep the line off of the water , I actually wet myself with laughter the first time I saw it , does anyone remember this 'fashion'?

Sorry, I slipped a swear word in , apologies. I posted a thread before about 6ft long landing net handles. They seem to me too short. I see anglers getting themselves in all sorts of wonderful positions to be able to land a fish. A lot of anglers like to wade out to cast as well , if there are overhead obstructions fair enough but some seem to feel the need to stand in 4ft of water even if it is obstruction free 1

the 'beachcaster' style was often adopted.....

.....does anyone remember this 'fashion'?

Yep, I remember that.

IIRC it was for surface fishing, where you'd have the "hooklink" hanging paternoster style from the main line, so as the line wouldn't lie on the surface of the water.