False bleeps!!! ;-)

Help please!! Alarms...ATT's silent head....!...Fishing situation.....Big venues ... Long range with braid, large leads, tight line, clipped up, heavy or springer type bobbin etc etc..... However when a cross wind blows hard in a particular direction ... false indication ( bleeps) become a nightmare!!?? On inspection the wheel / magnet on the att's seems very loose and in a strong wind the wheel keeps moving?? Any thoughts ?? Cheers ( footnote, been fishing 30 odd yrs , have tried loads of different things to remedy situation, also use the least sensitive wheel) :wink:

I've not had that trouble with mine... I had two change one of my alarms to a 2mag recently on a session, but it was blowing a gale and had to have one of my rods up high in the air due to circumstance at the time. I'm surprised your getting false indication with 2mags.

I'm sure they have a reset function on the wheels ... so if the wheel moves slightly in the wind but then doesn't move again in an allotted time it resets it's memory from that position . If it was one head unit I was going to say that this might be faulty and not resetting, but all four can't see that being the trouble.

The only other thing its not someone playing you up ....

:lol:

Thanks for replies!!

Yes all genuine att's as they came out of the box!! Had them three years with no problems on 'normal' lakes and rivers...started having problems when fishing lac du Der south basin last May !! 200yds plus in heavy cross wind caused a real problem! Had to put my old Delks back on and they were ok ( only occasional bleep which in these extremes are usual) my mate had new nash alarms... Again they were fine, just very odd false bleeps!! Att's were going off every 10 minutes at least!! It's something to do with the wheel moving too freely as like I say in a heavy wind you can see it moving/shaking all the time!! Went back to Der in October for a repeat performance!! Ahhhhhh

No, it's happened at various times during two different weeks fishing on all rods that were in various different spots!! Also it ceased when another make of alarm was used!! It's something to do with the slack wheel movement caused by high wind that hits at a certain angle! During both sessions when the wind changed slightly the false bleeps almost stopped !! I know it's an extreme case ( braid at 200 yds plus) but really annoying when your alarms are going off every 10/20mins ... No sleep and ur mates alarms hardly bleep at all!! We examined the nash roller on my pals set up and it's not as loose it seems to have more friction to it?? I thought someone else may have had a problem with them and possibly a remedy? I am thinking of adding friction to the wheel somehow so it's harder to move during the normal buffeting caused by a cross wind??

First thanks for replies!

Try to reply to some of your thoughts!

Would use my Delks but they are getting on for 20yrs old a bit unreliable these days and no remote box!! Ok for emergency use !!

Have tried the indicator on the other side yes!! But obviously not ideal!

Braid is a major contributor to this problem as is the roller type of alarm I agree, but my mate has new nash alarms that didn't go off as much , also guys with fox alarms didn't have as much trouble ! I have examined one tonight and i think its possible to 'tighten' up the wheel as someone suggested as it is very loose .... but I will contact Att's to see if they have any suggestions! But this is the only problem I have had with them in every other situation they are spot on and certainly great value for money!! :wink:

• 1 month later...
Would use my Delks but they are getting on for 20yrs old a bit unreliable these days

Mine went that way untill I had the original magnetic reed switches replaced, (two snips with a pair of wire cutters, and two blobs of solder per alarm and the jobs done).

BOF :wink: