Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
salokcinnodrog

Leads and too much gear...

Well I just sorted out my tackle box to tidy it up and get rid of the massive great Plano thing I have been carrying for years, and discovered that what is in there will now go into a small compartment box and a tupperware box.

I did however remove 3kilos of leads from the tackle box, somehow I had managed to get up to 30 leads of various sizes between 2 and 3.5oz.

I think that they were all 'just in case'; pear leads, distance leads, tournament leads, and then not forgetting the flattened leads, adn somehow a few in-lines that I haven't used in years.

Anyone else guilty of carrying far too much stuff?

very guilty of this.

I sorted mine out the other day. took it all out of the roof space. I sorted from 4 large fox box's down to 1 for me and 1 for my son. 3 rod setup each which left another 6 old rods plus random bags sticks ect to give away. gave them too a couple of young lads that I knew were interested in fishing. so now I think i've picked up another 2 fishing buddys.

I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of my course setup tho. just looking at it reminds me of the good old days roaming round the local streams and ponds catching small roach and the like thinking im king of the world

Used to carry everything all the time , fox wallet pouches no tackle box and rod sleeves with bank sticks and rods in them combined with strapping a chair onto my Korum bag means I have halved the weight.

Feels good to strip it all back though doesnt it.

I did the same a few years back and was amazed to cut out over 8lbs of leads/feeders/shot/etc that hadn't been used. That was out of my main rucksack.

I then trimmed back everything else, i.e in my "bits" bags etc.

Btw.....beware of popup tubs and hook baits.....those little pots can weigh alot added up lol

Edit: I'm stunned at how much stuff people take. I think its the idea of being out of the house for more than 20mins that messes with people. Would make a good thread to list EVERYTHING that is taken.

Guilty as charged. So many carp anglers and anglers in general will be the same. Last week i had alsorts in my bag that i will never use. Old rigs I've chopped and kept the hooks to be sharpened. Leads well i always carry a few as i use drop of leads and don't want to run out but still have to many. Hookbaits i have to many but again you never know if on certain days they will work. On nights i take fair too much food and not enough tobacco and milk. Always run out. Note to self, must remember to take spare rizlas.

Same with me.

I last removed 3 "just in case" alarms, 2 "forgot I had those" rig cases, 20 or so 2 to 4oz leads of various "might need those" patterns, 14 "forgot to take them out" method feeders, (last used in Spring on one of Elphics lakes, up by the cafe), two tubes of "spare" indicators, one bag of various PVA net / bags / nuggets / string, a "might need a spare" camera, "spare" scales, (Yes there is a pattern here I think), and a set of 10 "just in case" tent pegs.

It all used to fill a 45lt rucksack, (and give me a bad back lifting it), now I am down to a small (10 - 15lt) day sack, for my essential kit. Which goes with me if I am fishing for the day, weekend, or the week.

Obviously I have a separate bag for my cookware, fuel, food, spare clothes, etc. when I'm away more than just a day session.

My rod pod and alarms go into my rod quiver, as does the inner "pod" of my bivvy / shelter, the overwrap of which goes into a stink bag.

The stink bag also holds my bags of frozen bait, pots of pop ups / wafters, (these have a sneaky habbit of sliding back into the bag when I am not looking, only to be noticed when I can't close the zip), and a rubber backed mat, for kneeling or sitting on when fiddling with my rigs, (in lieu of a guest chair, sorry lads).

Going on what I took out I suspect I have a bad case of "Boy Scout-itis" evidenced by a subconcious urge to take the complete inventory of an outdoors shop and tackle retailer, just "to be prepared" or "just in case".

OMG. I am seriously sad aren't I?

BOF :wink:

I take much more than I need.

I reckon at least half of what I take is 'just in case'; but I can't see that changing. The week I don't take everything, is the week I'll need it.

If the wife and I are going for a weekend then I'll fill the back of a Land Rover Freelander (Back seats down and no rear shelf) literally from floor to ceiling :oops:

I own a barrow. It is probably the most over worked piece of kit known to mankind.

Too much stuff? Yes.

Ian

don't do barrows, don't fit onto public transport very well :wink::lol:

And some of the waters I have fished don't lend themselves to a barrow as nice as it would be, but taking a barrow over and round stiles does not work very well

iv started to slowly cut back on what i take when i go fishing, more so when im on a day session, iv removed a bag of leads, method feeders ext. I had fallen into the popup trap and carry far too many pots of popups, its got to be 15 pots, thinking of ebaying most of these and just take, a matching popup to my bottombaits (ccmoore XXX ) and maybe 1-2 tubs of mixed fluro popups different sizes and colours and a pot of wafters. Dan

I own a barrow. It is probably the most over worked piece of kit known to mankind.

Too much stuff? Yes.

Ian

don't do barrows, don't fit onto public transport very well :wink::lol:

And some of the waters I have fished don't lend themselves to a barrow as nice as it would be, but taking a barrow over and round stiles does not work very well

:D I have took my barrow and every bit of kit on train before has to be done :D always the earlyiest train!!

my chosen water for the last year (and the forseable future) is over 2 stliles a railway line and a 500 yrd walk.

it wouldn't be so bad if i hadn't broken my back :lol:

i am learning to travel lighter and lighter 8)

carp gear is a nightmare.. simple as!

the lighter you try and travel, the less comfortable you will be o the bank, and the more of a headache it will be trying to deal with a good fish on the bank.. it is that simple.. comforts and efficiency WEIGH IN!!!!

especially if you have to bring ALL your food and water.. i.e if you are nowhere near the shops/unable to leave your swim

My tip is just: take your time.. don't rush.. if you have to set up in the dark, so what? even then don't rush, cos that is what does you in when heaving and setting up and packing up all that endless annoying clobber, lol