Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
theobeeus

Problems fishing small platform swims please help

I want to fish swims with small platforms which poke out through a heavy reedline into deep water..

There is not much room on these stages for a pod (really not a good option), as all you would want is your net, (and you) on here ideally-

long banksticks down either side of the platform could work, but metalware (especially storm poles) is so expensive now.. I am trying to economise big time and yet another 50-60 quid on fishing gear isn't a brilliant idea at present at all..

These stages do have upright scaffold poles that jut up above the main platform.. could my ordinary banksticks with an old buzz bar on them be taped onto here or something?

Has anybody else come across this issue.. or have a clever idea?

What's a Tek screw mate?

And anyway I am a single stick user mate.. all this will mean ultra expense.. stage stands.. probably new banksticks to fit them properly.. and new buzz bars cost an arm and a leg fella.. waqs looking for something a little bit more 'jury rigged'.. lol

Universal stage stands can be bought very cheap on ebay. A tek screw is a fixing that is used to hold tin sheets on roofs to hold them to Z rails so will fix them nicely. If you really want to do it on the cheap and you not to worried about weigh and how it looks get 2 plantpots and some old bank sticks and put them in pot and pour concrete allow to set and you can place them anyhwere you like on there that's a VERY easy cheap solution

Yeh I cannot see why it would not be its not like the rods going to be unattended and bait runners will be set correctly if thats set correctly a fish will do very well to drag a couple of pounds of concrete if you worried put a bungie cord round rear one that rod locks into and bivvie peg it to the soil behind its not going anywhere then

Whats the bankside like between each peg/swim ?

Cant see the point of a fishery having narrow metal platforms like you describe , unless of course its to DETER carp anglers ?

This bailiff who is liable to blow his lid if you drill into his platforms ?

Have you asked him ? You might be surprised ...

At the very least you will have a chance to ask him why ?

How do everybody else fish these swims ?

Or is that your reason for fishing there ? Cos no one else does ?

I am going to go for the even cheaper than that idea of taping a buzz bar on a bankstick to the upright supporting scaffold pole and see how that goes first, but your idea could be a real glamorous better solution thanks lol

Theo, if the tubing supporting the platforms is proper scaffold tube it's internal diameter is 1.5 inches. The act of driving these tubes into the ground will have caused a swage, slightly reducing this.

I used to brew my own wine and used tapered rubber bungs with a central hole to cap and vent the demijohns. The taper suited neck sizes between 1.25 and 1.5 diameter while the vent hole was about 12mm. Banksticks are usually 12mm in diameter.

Slide a cheap bankstick into a brewing bung and push both into the top of the scaff tube.

Worth a try, surely?

Ian

It may not be pretty but 3ft of 8x2 witn two holes drilled in to take your sticks

Would be fairly stable and as long as there are gaps in the metal floor a few 4"

Nails hammered through would stop the whole thing being pulled forward

I know a venue like this and ok if you match fish sitting on a seatbox but not good for carpers

I would find a different venue and not waste time trying to make it work

Also if the platforms are small you are in danger of losing gear or slipping in if they are tight for space.

The venue I know like this has short metal platforms which are stepped down so even if you got your pod or sticks in place there is no where for the back end of the rods to go !

Leave it to the match guys and find a new place may be cheaper !

Whats the bankside like between each peg/swim ?

Cant see the point of a fishery having narrow metal platforms like you describe , unless of course its to DETER carp anglers ?

This bailiff who is liable to blow his lid if you drill into his platforms ?

Have you asked him ? You might be surprised ...

At the very least you will have a chance to ask him why ?

How do everybody else fish these swims ?

Or is that your reason for fishing there ? Cos no one else does ?

I am going to go for the even cheaper than that idea of taping a buzz bar on a bankstick to the upright supporting scaffold pole and see how that goes first, but your idea could be a real glamorous better solution thanks lol

Theo, if the tubing supporting the platforms is proper scaffold tube it's internal diameter is 1.5 inches. The act of driving these tubes into the ground will have caused a swage, slightly reducing this.

I used to brew my own wine and used tapered rubber bungs with a central hole to cap and vent the demijohns. The taper suited neck sizes between 1.25 and 1.5 diameter while the vent hole was about 12mm. Banksticks are usually 12mm in diameter.

Slide a cheap bankstick into a brewing bung and push both into the top of the scaff tube.

Worth a try, surely?

Ian

Nice one mate and thanks for reading what I said in detail :D will try..

I know a venue like this and ok if you match fish sitting on a seatbox but not good for carpers

Also if the platforms are small you are in danger of losing gear or slipping in if they are tight for space.

The venue I know like this has short metal platforms which are stepped down so even if you got your pod or sticks in place there is no where for the back end of the rods to go !

It is the best club lake in the UK mate..

Not all the swims are like this, just a few of them :D

Doesn't sound like the best UK lake for carp fishing but I understand your desire to fish it

hope you find a solution soon matey

Hi mate is buying a second hand pod out of the question? Could be the best solution and of use in other situations you come across in the future.

There is very little room on the platform mate and even second hand pods cost big bucks

I am tight when it comes to fishing, must be something to do with the second mortgage I have already forked out on all the 'usuals'

lol

Doesn't sound like the best UK lake for carp fishing but I understand your desire to fish it

hope you find a solution soon matey

It's the best venue in the UK for ME mate! I mean location (5 minute walk), and finances (50 quid a year). It is just a down to Earth (but very well run) club water but it happens to be extremely beautiful, challenging, and very rich in terms of somehuge mystery fish lurking about the place.. so trust me this headache of opening up all the options of the difficult swims, on my ever so tight budget, will be well worth it!!!

Cheers fella. Laughing