Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
theobeeus

Problems fishing small platform swims please help

Fair enough mate.. you can pick up them up for under 20 notes.

Is it not possible to set up on the bank behind the platform and just leave your net on the platform for you stand and land the fish, as it sounds like it could be tight with you and your rods on there.

Fair enough mate.. you can pick up them up for under 20 notes.

Is it not possible to set up on the bank behind the platform and just leave your net on the platform for you stand and land the fish, as it sounds like it could be tight with you and your rods on there.

I just don't like pods much mate t.b.h, lol

Yeah this setting up a bit further back could well be 'the one'

I could set the tips high and 'out' as much as poss to keep the lines clear of the stage.. indeed re: rods.. There is very little room on the stage hence more interest in things like this and the person that spoke about the bungs in the scaffold poles as opposed to the poddy/plant pot pod/stage stands options.. These stages really are tiny.. we are talking a little square of metal for a match angler to perch on!!!!

Anyway I am doin well and takin it gradually.. I haven't just thrown money at the problem and bought 4 very expensive long banksticks and/or buzzer bars.. All I have bought so far is one buzzer bar with a view to taping that to one of the poles and just resting the rods up on that.. could work, just looking for other clever ideas such as those that have been so kindly shared..

Glad other people appreciate that there just has to be a limit somewhere and a time when you say 'enough is enough' with kit and how much it all costs. I spent 80 quid on 4 superb banksticks that will last a lifetime. I have absolutely zero intention of spending another penny on hardware if I don't have to, especially just for the sake of fishing an extra peg or two out of the ordinary!!!

Thanks guys. Am actually off down to the lake now with a bankstick to get a feel for some of your ideas.. nothing like actual field testing to help you decide what's what in carp angling, lol

I just repeat my comment be careful, if they are metal ( slippery ) and small you are in danger of knocking into your other rod/rods while landing a fish. These platforms are for match style where you never leave the seatbox and land straight back and drop into keepnet

I fished a very good venue like this before and nearly slipped in landing a fish and vowed never to risk this again.

Often landing a sizeable carp with a 42" net needs a lot of side ways room in my opinion

If you plan to single rod float or ledger then I guess you will be fine

I just repeat my comment be careful, if they are metal ( slippery ) and small you are in danger of knocking into your other rod/rods while landing a fish. These platforms are for match style where you never leave the seatbox and land straight back and drop into keepnet

I fished a very good venue like this before and nearly slipped in landing a fish and vowed never to risk this again.

Often landing a sizeable carp with a 42" net needs a lot of side ways room in my opinion

If you plan to single rod float or ledger then I guess you will be fine

Thanks mate.. Actually I was just thinking this morning that these swims are probably far more suited to a ONE ROD approach.. you read my mind

Good thinking about the single rod approach. A bait dropped close in to the reeds etc is bound to produce a bite. If possible dont set foot on the platform until you absolutely have to.

Guest stagg

Just a thought on this one , a good fewv years ago a pool I used to fish had only one place to fish due to beeing surrounded by woodland and reedmace out to 10 feet , an old steel staircase covered in steel sheeting had been dropped over the reeds and was a right dodgy afair to fish ,

I made up a bankstick holder from an old Magnetic CB antenna base , it had a 3/8 bsf thread that took a double headed stick [ home made and was ideal . this may work for you???

Cheers Stan.

I like welders idea, if It was me I'd just drop sticks plus alarm down the scaffold and tape them like you said, (I haven't got 80 quid sticks though!!!) also I guess this would give you the most amount of room with one rod each side (?) sounds likely the hassle could be worth it as I'd bet these awkward swims where no one fishes will be the best on the lake! :wink:

I am like you and pretty much have zero money for kit (my cash goes on bait) my pva loader is a plastic olive oil bottle, works perfectly!

I've got to say though staying back may be a good idea, I'd be quite nervous of making any noise via the metal stand.

Or another idea, do the scaffold poles sit higher than the stand? If so could you cut some plastic tube, waste pipe or something, with a hole on one side at each end to drop it on top of the scaffold poles and then drill a hole big enough for your sticks to go through the tube, bit of tape on the sticks to stop them at the level you want, and is the stand short enough to then put the back end sticks into dirt?

Either way it sounds fun! Good luck and hope it works put for you!

Like the rubber bung idea myself, as a couple of the neglected swims on the local lake have scaffolding supports that stick up above the platform edge.

Nice one Welder!

BOF :wink:

hi mate, if the platform is not big enough for a rod pod can you not put your bank sticks in the ground before the stage? then your rods with go across platform, failing that one time I forgot my pod at a wooden board venue so I ended putting my 2 full sports holdalls sideways and a few feet apart and put my bank sticks with alarms on sticking out of the front main pocket on holdall then rested my rod butts on other holdall worked a treat