Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
adders60

What can make some venues harder other easy

Fished a 5 acre reservoir approx. 14ft deep and fished approx. 70 yds out and caught a 14lb common in two hours on single boilie no freebies, to me that's impressive result in a decent size of water

The last 10 visits to my other venue, lake approx. 3 acres 18 ft deep with a lot of natural food and features and not had so much as a missed run

Why are some venues so hard and others appear easy, is it stock levels and how well fed the carp are or other factors ?

For the venue I want to catch is proving less fun as its blank city for most, but the less pretty reservoir seems to produce and catching a fish or two is important to me as I have packed fishing in before when a venue took the fun away from too many visits without a catch

Any ideas ??

Been reading your post mr adders over and over again and i think its such a difficult one this .there will be so many contributing factors as to what majes a venue difficult in one extreme , or , relatively easy in the other.

Fish stocks (you dont mention numbers or size in your opening gambit) , angling pressure , how the fish feed (ie silty bottom ?), are just 3 of many possible factors .

There are one or two threads on here from people asking for advice having blanked upwards of a dozen straight sessions that may be of interest to you ( one is something about a new water) .

Fortunately i have never been in a similar position but i would like to think i would relish the challenge and try and find positives from each blank session.

Someone will be along to help you with this .

In the meantime . Chin up

its a very good question this. ive been thinking about how to answer this and its hard. now im going to put my head on the line here and say that no lake is hard :shock: ( and no im not the best angler and yes i blank as much as the next man), i just think that its all about finding the right method on the right day, if you can get on the fish that is and if they are willing to feed if you do :shock: . for instance your 18feet deep lake might one day respond well to bottom baits and the next day maybe the complete opposite like a 15feet zig rig. not only that you might turn up and not be able to get on the fish. but as has been said fish stock, conditions, features and angling pressure all play there part on any given day and they will all make one lake harder than another.

I know this is a difficult question and we can never be sure, but it seems very true that some waters seem to be a lot harder for no real reason that we can see.

Stock per acre is important as is amount of available food, natural or angler provided and angler pressure is another factor

We also know that fish to showing fish is key at hard venues, what about when there are no signs, what then

Is it practical to fish very hard waters lets face it we all go to try and catch if we are honest, nobody sets out with the belief they will blank

Regardless, hard venues can produce nice fish and rewards for the long wait, then what do you do it all again ??

I think maybe having two regular waters, one hard, one easy maybe is the answer perhaps

I think you would soon get bored if it was TOO easy mate ?

I reckon that (to me anyway) half of this carp fishing lark is about the challenge surely ?

What i'm trying to say is that if i wanted to whip fish out all day then i would just buy a pellet waggler rod and set off for the nearest commercial muddy puddle .

The water i fish , i dont consider it easy by any stretch of the imagination but then i wouldnt call it hard either .

I can usually expect to catch on a 48hr session but quite often i dont also.

3 fish in a session is what i call a GOOD session but of course , one fish is satisfactory because it tells me that i'm doing something right and keeps morale up .

As you know mate , there are a lot of good very experienced anglers on this forum that can help you but i think you need to supply a bit more information on the venue ?

I can understand you wanting to keep the actual venue hush hush to an extent but lets start with the fish shall we ? How many and to what size ? Is it heavily pressured ? I know you've had your marker rod out because you know how deep it is. Is it that deep all over or does it vary ?

Are carp the only species ?

You know the sort of stuff i mean mate , what do the fish that do get caught fall to ? Boilies ? Naturals ?

I try NOT to look on a water as hard or easy, sounds silly I know, but I reckon that the more time looking and understanding both the fish and what other anglers are doing will give you a head start and can make things a whole lot easier. It can also be a whole lot easier if you can fish when most other anglers are not at the water.

This may mean that the lake could suffer from 'weekend syndrome', when every angler arrives on Friday, does the pile the bait in when he arrives, and then blanks until Sunday packing up. If you can fish midweek it could be easier, although with how people are changing lifestyles to suit now, some lakes are just as busy midweek as at the weekends.

I'm not so sure that venues are hard or easy, much of that is also dependant on the angler in addition to all the other factors:

The fish stocks obviously make a difference. Fishing for 2 carp (of any size) in 10 acres will make a water hard. Trying to pin down their location in such a water could make things difficult, and as such will be classed as a hard water.

To some extent the size of a water will make things difficult; Fishing for carp in a water of 160 acres could make that a hard water if it holds a regular stock of fish, but if it is overstocked with the fish competing for food, then it could be a whole lot easier.

Another thing that can make a water a difficult venue is pressure. If it is regularly fished, and the fish know that they are being fished for, and are used to dealing with a specific or particular baiting scenario, rig or etc that every angler fishes the same, then that can also be classed as a difficult water. It could be made easier by being different :wink:

I always think that an overstocked water where the carp are competing and needing anglers baits as easy waters, but if every angler fishes the same and the rig thing is always the same the fish can often get used to dealing with it.

As you have said the smaller venue has an abundance of natural food items, I have watched fish picking off snails off reeds with 2lb of hempseed right below them, as its a smaller venue, maybe it does receive more pressure per acre than the other and over time the fish are a bit more cautious. Again its mind set, each water presents you with a new set of rules, its your job as an angler to work out what these rules are and come up with the answers.

Agree with everything both nick and gary have said .

I think that , along with fish location , being different is paramount .

That said , you would need to know what everybody else is doing and thats sometimes easier said than done .

Personally i dont always agree with the secret squirrel approach , it depends who's asking

totally agree with nick regarding lakes having "weekend syndrome". one of my syndicates suffers from this big time. id confidently say that 75% plus of all captures come out midweek, not good if your a 9 to 5 monday to friday worker and weekends are your fishing time. if your not down there by midday on friday your out of luck regarding getting a swim let alone on the fish at a weekend :shock: . that said this year it is opening in the close season for the first time so fingers crossed it will be like taking candy from a baby :D , if i can get on them :shock: . plenty of my holiday will be in april/may me thinks :)

Hi Newmarket, yes you have hit the nail saying if you had time.....

Day fishing at weekends is the most I can squeeze in

However over the last two weeks I have fished the place hard and no results

I am fully aware that some anglers will fish a place for months without any fish, sadly I do not have the patience for that nor the time, I fish to catch and need to way this up in my venue choice, maybe I should just stick to commercial or high stocked club venues perhaps :D

I can't be the only one on here that loves the 'harder' lakes. You know the type, the ones where most people do a few sessions and give up because they can't handle the blanks.

Most of my chosen target waters are this type, low stock, mature gravel pits. In these instances, it's usually the lack of people fishing it that makes it 'hard'.

What I mean by that is, if every swim was taken every week, fish would get caught regularly, but not by everyone. A well known example would be Savay lake, hard, but by no means impossible.

Doesn't really answer the original question, but for me, a big fish from an 'easy' water means far less than a smaller fish from a difficult venue.

Horses for courses I suppose!

I can't be the only one on here that loves the 'harder' lakes. You know the type, the ones where most people do a few sessions and give up because they can't handle the blanks.

Most of my chosen target waters are this type, low stock, mature gravel pits. In these instances, it's usually the lack of people fishing it that makes it 'hard'.

What I mean by that is, if every swim was taken every week, fish would get caught regularly, but not by everyone. A well known example would be Savay lake, hard, but by no means impossible.

Doesn't really answer the original question, but for me, a big fish from an 'easy' water means far less than a smaller fish from a difficult venue.

Horses for courses I suppose!

I can see your point and understand the thrill of catching in a hard water, but I would guess you have carp fished for some time so this type of venue would be more appealing.

Can I ask did you start fishing hard waters or runs waters ?

I have been carp fishing since the mid 80's mate, and we actually started on one of the hardest lakes I've ever fished, and still do. Having said that, we did in those days take frequent trips to easier lakes just to get a bend in the rod.

As a measure, I fished three full seasons for two fish, a low double common and my first ever 20 at 23lb 10oz. That fish will never be beaten on merit by any other, unless I get a 30 from the same lake!!

IMO it mainly comes down to the natural food to stocking dencity. If the stock outweighs the amount of natural food avaliable, soon enough they are going to have to eat something that they are worried about eating. Comercial 'muddy puddles' have very little in the way of naturals, and the fish rely on anglers bait.

'Hard' venues, and I mean hard as in 10 fish a season to the top rod, generally have several things in common, huge expanse of water with very little fish per acre and abundances of weed (naturals)

I would agree large water, huge amounts of natural food, huge population of birdlife, and low to mid stock levels means you will seldom be in the right place at the right time in 8 hours fishing

This would explain to me why it seems so easy to catch at many venues yet impossible or so it seems at others

Thanks for the good advice

IMO it mainly comes down to the natural food to stocking dencity. If the stock outweighs the amount of natural food avaliable, soon enough they are going to have to eat something that they are worried about eating. Comercial 'muddy puddles' have very little in the way of naturals, and the fish rely on anglers bait.

'Hard' venues, and I mean hard as in 10 fish a season to the top rod, generally have several things in common, huge expanse of water with very little fish per acre and abundances of weed (naturals)

I agree with that to a certain extent, but I think that there are some smaller lakes that can be very hard waters as well.

I have fished a 2 acre lake where baiting rules, pressure and other anglers all made the lake difficult. The water is not overstocked, nor is it packed with loads of natural food, 'just enough'; and anglers may not pile bait in by catapult or spod etc.

In my opinion a venue is as hard as the angler makes it. If your on feeding fish, with a reasonable presentation and you have a rig that hooks them then in time you will get them. Blanking happens as said already take something positive from the sessions you blank. Things will come together. The other thing is stock of fish. If you only have a few to go at then obviously you chance of getting one is less than a lake that holds a couple hundred. I've blanked loads of late as you may have seem in one of the threads i started. Things always get worse before they get better. Just be confident in your self all the time. Its very hard but it works. That's how you catch in low and high stock lakes. Its all about confidence in your angling. That includes your skills, like casting, finding spots, watercraft etc. Not in order. As well as rigs, baits etc. All in all myself i think that no venue is hard, its how hard we make it.

Many well fished lakes have a "weekend turn off" time, including the syndicate I fish. It's noticeable that most of the fish that do come out do so during the evening on Sunday, or during the week. Some folk blame the numbers of lines that suddenly appear on a Friday, some the extra bankside noise, either way its a real turn off for the Carp.

BOF :wink: