Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jameschelt85

My bait worked (great feeling)

I decided too make some pop up hookbaits with cork balls, i made some paste using 1 egg, and for the base mix basically used some groundbait and soya flour wich helped them roll nicely.

I also added a couple of other ingredients wich were all from the supermarket for the flavour and smell,adding too the smell from the groundbait in the mix.

I boiled these for 1 minuite each and put them on the rack from my grill too dry out slightly, i then transferred them too a pop up tub and froze them so all the ingerdients i used would stay fresh, the end result was 3 takes out of 5 on my bait and the biggest fish i caught that day was on my homemade baits, ill definetly be making more so i can test them on other waters, i was well chuffed (excuse the boring explenation)

Its good because you can whip up a mix in minuites and just hand roll a small amount for hookbaits, i made about sixteen baits, also their not like pop ups you buy from the shop that are just rock hard baits, when they defrost they are basically a fresh freezer bait but a pop up and i reckon they could be a massive edge as you can put any fresh food ingredients in that you want.

Its good because you can whip up a mix in minuites and just hand roll a small amount for hookbaits, i made about sixteen baits, also their not like pop ups you buy from the shop that are just rock hard baits, when they defrost they are basically a fresh freezer bait but a pop up and i reckon they could be a massive edge as you can put any fresh food ingredients in that you want.

I've been rolling my own bait for 3 years now,well winter bait that is.

I make matching pop ups and hook baits aswell.

The best thing about doing this is I can make different colour and size of pop ups and hook baits.

I only use them in winter as they don't work very well as the water starts to warm up and I haven't got the time to roll a summer bait,that's because I use a lot more bait through the warmer months plus the fish meal bait I buy is brilliant..!

My mix..

4oz semolina

4oz soya

4oz corn meal

4oz ground pigeon conditioner

6 eggs

15mls mainline cell activator

7mls mainline cherry juice flavour

2.5mls mainline sweetener

15mls molasses

This bait really has been brilliant for me every year I've used it,last year I couldn't get out on the bank until the last week in February,over the first 2 weekends of my fishing I managed myself 7 carp over 20lb and continued to catch regularly up to the second week in may.!!

Ill get to the point now.

All those captures make me so proud and the feeling you get from catching these fantastic creatures on a bait you have took the time to put together and make yourself it's just so good.!

It's good to see people having success on a bait they didn't buy in a pot,and I can relate to the feeling you get from it.!

Nothing beats making your own (hook) baits and catching on them.

I used to make my own pop-ups as well, using a mix of my own, or occasionally cheating and buying packs of pop-up mix (usually for the colour factor). I would only ever make a 1egg mix of pop-ups though, making 6eggs worth was a lot of time for sooo many hookbaits that would take years to get through

The good thing with that is you can get flavour combinations of your own that no-one else will be using. :wink: