things KILLING OUR CARP

nathanhuynh

Doesn't everybody wonder, why in the last 30 years the life span of british carp has declined by over 30%

Common carp are supposedly capable of living 40 years, but the average of a fish which reached adulthood in 1980 (carp from fisheries) was about 22 years. Almost all those which died under the age of 16 years died from disease or injury (fisheries tagged fish and tested life span/cause of death). Most of those which lived over 18 years died from old age (nackered organs/weak immune system).

In more recent times, since carp angling went industrial and expanded rapidly, the death rate has gone down rapidly until now, where it lies at just over 14 years! Many carp may live longer, but something must have caused it. Remember that carp now, are massively obese with loads of unnatural oils and salt levels, not to mention saturates and the liver constantly dealing with poisons in bait. Another thing which is VERY bad is alcohol in bait. Carp are filter feeders and their liver is used to dealing with minor acids and other natural poisons which occur in silt. The effects of alcohol on the liver of a carp is catastrophic.

Have you any other factors leading to the early deaths of UK carp?

thankyou

Yeah its like a carpy version of embarrassing bodies or the biggest loser .

Hugely obese human beings are said to die younger due to the effect junk food has on their bodies , must be the same for fish i spose.

Its all very good and well eating all this healthy food but you eat too much of it and you'll still burst .

Need to put some ex-lax in that next batch of boilies lads :)

Do you not think the fact that from the day a carp is born it eats food that in its natural habitat it would never see , food designed to tempt the fish into eating and in turn put on weight at again an unnatural rate is the reason why they will die younger .

The strain of carp in the test in the 80's is probably a completely different strain of carp more prevalent today. Rendering the data obsolete.

I think it's really about overstocking and the resulting unbalanced environment. You put a few carp in a nice big mature pit and leave them alone - they will live a very long time.

Overstocking increases toxins that the environment cannot deal with making it perfect for parasites and diseases to flourish. Plus the fish are stressed making them prone to infection.

Then we have fast growing strains of fish which have a shorter life expectancy.

Both things pretty sad as they are designed for the angler, though its not what I would want, but many do

I think it's really about overstocking and the resulting unbalanced environment. You put a few carp in a nice big mature pit and leave them alone - they will live a very long time.

Overstocking increases toxins that the environment cannot deal with making it perfect for parasites and diseases to flourish. Plus the fish are stressed making them prone to infection.

Then we have fast growing strains of fish which have a shorter life expectancy.

Both things pretty sad as they are designed for the angler, though its not what I would want, but many do

I think that covers 'most every question.

Most carp waters are overstocked, which means to less natural food available, reliance on anglers baits, and then extra stress from both of them.

Add to that, in nature or more correctly, natural waters, there is a balance, perch, pike, and other fish will all eat spawn, fry and then the smaller fish, so it will only be the strongest survive. The strongest will likely live to a ripe old age.