Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
newmarket

Very upsetting.

I caught a little common carp the other night pushing double figures it was , and if and when it grows up it will make a stunning 40lber .

I didnt take a photograph of it , firstly because it was dark and i dont yet have the appropriate equipment to do so , but secondly (and i know there are lots of similar threads on here) it was very upsetting to see that it had been towing this little lot around with it....

4036B7C0-B5D0-4E3A-A32A-6753757E96D5_zpssjtysaht.jpg

Not a great pic i know , but theres a 4oz fox lead in there somewhere , a lead clip that wouldnt've dumped it in a million years and a strange kind of thick tubing that i've never come across before . This had the lead clip glued into it .

The really upsetting thing about it was that there was some kind of large goldy coloured swivel of a kind i've never seen before embedded in the carps bottom lip .

As hard as i tried , i couldnt remove it with forceps and i swear i could hear the fish squeaking or making some kind of painful cry as i was trying to remove it.

In the end i had to leave the swivel in the fish . I treated it with whatever gardners version of klinik is , and reluctantly returned the fish .

I always treat hookhold wounds with this stuff after every capture anyway so my conscience is clear .

But still , very upsetting all the same :cry:

It's not the first and won't be the last time you see this sort of thing.

With ALL the help and information there is at hand you would think Anglers would have some sort of education and knowledge of how to fish safely. Unfortunately there are those who aint interested in learning and aint got a clue, and never will have, about what they are doing, this can only be bad for the fish and Angling as a whole.

That's never nice to find and, unfortunately, as Mach says, it won't be the last time :evil:

The good thing is that you have caught it and removed it from the fish.

A small sharp pair of electrical side cutters are a great bit of kit to keep in your tackle box that can help to cut out some mugs old tackle if you need to.

I could have took a photo of the fish it was that beautiful . Stunning gold scales with a lovely bronzey coloured back but posting it on here would have been tantamount to x rated material it was that gross.

I keep wondering whether it will ever get rid of that huge golden swivel that is still deep in its lip . I've never seen anything like it used before .

The fella in the next swim who asked me if i needed any help reckons it was something used in catfishing , i dunno tho .

I could have took a photo of the fish it was that beautiful . Stunning gold scales with a lovely bronzey coloured back but posting it on here would have been tantamount to x rated material it was that gross.

I keep wondering whether it will ever get rid of that huge golden swivel that is still deep in its lip . I've never seen anything like it used before .

The fella in the next swim who asked me if i needed any help reckons it was something used in catfishing , i dunno tho .

mach3

Posted: 12th Jan 2014 08:29 Post subject:

It's not the first and won't be the last time you see this sort of thing.

With ALL the help and information there is at hand you would think Anglers would have some sort of education and knowledge of how to fish safely. Unfortunately there are those who aint interested in learning and aint got a clue, and never will have, about what they are doing, this can only be bad for the fish and Angling as a whole.

That this post is so true really annoys the heck out of me. There is so much printed about fish safety, even the tackle packets contain instructions, yet people simply don't bother or don't care.

I also keep a pair of electrical side cutters in my tackle box for a few reasons, and this looks like a time that they could have been useful

Occasionally I get a fish that is hooked so well in the bottom lip that I need the side cutters to cut the eye of the hook from the shank, slide point out, and then treat (Klinik) etc.

Pike fishing, easier often to cut the point of a treble free, or even the trace so that you can unhook the fish safely through the gill cover on deep hooked fish.

Also works for cutting the swivels off leads.

I'm glad that you were able to retrieve that little lot from the fish, and did your absolute best for it

Im going to have a look around for these electrical sidecutters .

I too have some in my kit... In fact I use them for everything (instead of scissors).

They are cheap as chips, and dead easy, to get hold of... Online, Halfords, B+Q etc.

They're great for cutting through Line, Tubing, Braid, Line Clips, Hooks, Swivels etc.

Even the expensive ones will obviously blunt if used for "metalware", so it's not worth paying mega money... Better off to get a couple of pairs of the cheaper ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=side%20cutters&sprefix=side+cutters%2Caps%2C143&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aside%20cutters

I too have some in my kit... In fact I use them for everything (instead of scissors).

They are cheap as chips, and dead easy, to get hold of... Online, Halfords, B+Q etc.

They're great for cutting through Line, Tubing, Braid, Line Clips, Hooks, Swivels etc.

Even the expensive ones will obviously blunt if used for "metalware", so it's not worth paying mega money... Better off to get a couple of pairs of the cheaper ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=side%20cutters&sprefix=side+cutters%2Caps%2C143&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aside%20cutters

Me to wire cutters and grips, you will be surprised buy how much you use

Them once there in the tackle box

Sounds as if the tackle shops should sell them .

Anti-numpty forceps .

Think i'll give danny boy a ring ... :evil:

These aren't exactly cheap, but they will outlast 30 cheap pairs easily (They are designed for cutting hard wire, rather than cheap sets, which are designed to be cheap).

A set of those with a 3 monthly squirt of WD40 will be in your tackle box for the next 20 years easy.

I used to do rig checks on my local club water and most anglers were using safety clips it was not till I should them the dangers of putting the saftey sleave on to the clip to far they realised how dangeres they were

First thought is, well done for doing rig checks. Once the anglers in question are educated, they won't do it again.

Secondly, Fox have redesigned their safety clips, there is now a semi circle cut out of the sleeve, which means even when they are fully pushed on they will come off in a snag situation and I think that other manufacturers should follow suit.

That's shocking. I had a similar thing happen to me a few seasons back on a small day ticket water I used to fish once or twice a year.

I got a run as normal, then when I landed the fish it was hooked with a rig that was trailing 2-3m of leadcore and a load of line that had got tangled up with my mainline somehow And caused me to get a run(Luckily it had a lead clip and the lead had ejected)!

Luckily it was my mainline it got caught up in so I could unhook it and release it safely as it could of so easily got caught up in a snag with the amount it was towing about!

Sounds as if the tackle shops should sell them .

Anti-numpty forceps .

Think i'll give danny boy a ring ... :evil:

These aren't exactly cheap, but they will outlast 30 cheap pairs easily (They are designed for cutting hard wire, rather than cheap sets, which are designed to be cheap).

A set of those with a 3 monthly squirt of WD40 will be in your tackle box for the next 20 years easy.

When I did my electrical training back in the late 1980's I bought myself a decent set of sidecutters. They were still going strong until last year when I eventually lost them during one of my problem housemoves :evil:

I've never had a rig checked whilst fishing. I've had a balif ask me a few questions about rigs to see if I knew what safe meant, but that's as far as it has ever gone.

It's about time the fishing license actually lived up to its name.

I think that bailiffs are often worried to ask anglers to show their rigs.

If they ask them to retrieve then they could be accused of being awkward and difficult, especially if the angler has taken the time and effort to cast in as close as possible to a feature, or be on the receiving end of a load of verbals :roll:

I think that too many anglers assume that whatever they do is ok, yet they are only there at the permission of the owner, manager, club or their representative, and the bailiff is that.

A staff member in a shop, pub, club or restaurant can refuse to serve someone if they feel that what they are doing is wrong offensive or against the rules, well a bailiff as far as I'm concerned should be able to check and do exactly that.

It comes down in many cases on Day Ticket waters, to the owner being too scared to turn away money.

I think that Grangemilky has it right, but we need to go further, the Fishing Licence should be done on a test. You do not drive a car unaccompanied until you have passed your driving test, and then when you are proved competent you get a full licence.

Fisheries, anglers and all should be tested to get a licence.

Im quite friendly with the bailiff at my lake and he said the only way to eradicate it was to put a stop to day ticket anglers ...

That wont be happening any time soon .

Does he check day ticket anglers' rigs on his rounds?

Of course not !

Or at least , not to my knowledge .