Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
esminthecarper

winter pre baiting?

I was wondering the same thing and I have trawled the net for answers and I cant find a definitive one they all conflict. we all know that carp are less active when temps drop to conserve energy and the metabolism slows right down. however they will still feed if they come across something they want to eat. so in my opinion pre baiting will help but not in the quantities you would use during spring and summer. this then brings us on to hook bait size again conflicting info out there a lot say small hook bait but I have read about one guy who still uses a 20mm boilie with 1/2 pop up snowman and catches throughout the winter. now I have no reason to disbelieve what anyone writes so its just a case of suck it and see.

Iv been trying to find some info on about this as well guys, my local lake is around 4 acres, spring fed, depths around 4-5 feet, mixture of sand/gravel some silty patches. and allot of snags. All the carp in the lake are wild and estimations are there are around 30 carp in there upto 23 1/2. I do some pike fishing there through the winter. Do you think its worth just trickling a small amount of bait into some spots as im pike fishing? which can then be fished and built up on as it warms up. Dan

Iv been trying to find some info on about this as well guys, my local lake is around 4 acres, spring fed, depths around 4-5 feet, mixture of sand/gravel some silty patches. and allot of snags. All the carp in the lake are wild and estimations are there are around 30 carp in there upto 23 1/2. I do some pike fishing there through the winter. Do you think its worth just trickling a small amount of bait into some spots as im pike fishing? which can then be fished and built up on as it warms up. Dan

hi Danny, its deff worth a go you have nothing to lose and may end up with a bonus carp from it, last year during the summer all my catches came from the margins and when I say margin I mean right in close I could actually watch them take the hook, this was happening every session and so I exploited it to the max. as the weather has got colder they have moved out to deeper water and like you my pool is of similar depths so I will prebait where the deeper water is, on another note some guys I know are still using zigs and catching up in the water

id never say its too late to start pre-baiting even if there is a cold snap between now and spring. in my opinion the carp would now be used to their colder surroundings and would be moving about, infact probably not really holed up at all yet( a mate of mine has been out on his local lake in a boat and has seen carp moving about, not all lakes are the same but its a good pointer) . though i always start my winter pre-baiting in september so that the carp are still on the feed big time and get a taste of my chosen bait and more importantly will know where to go to get it as i will only bait 1 area, sometimes 2. by doing that in my opinion the fish would have been feeding on your spots for a few months before winter really arrives. i do not fish these spots either, but rather get there confidence up on feeding on the spots, well unless there having it big time lol. when ive done this i have more often than not caught some winter carp, not loads but i do catch and ive invariably caught the bigger fish in the lake, whether thats down to my bait or the fact the bigger fish need to feed more to keep their weight up i dont know but it works for me

I would have thought that if you have the time and you can afford to then its always worth pre-baiting a couple of areas es .

Of course , this time of year i would be using less bait to do it with .

Its a difficult one really . Chances are that most people winter carping will have already fished the summer and autumn so therefore it would be simply a case of continuing to put the bait in only on a smaller scale .

Starting a campaign on a new venue at this time of year may be a completely different kettle of carp :D

Some other lads have more experience than me they will help you with that .

Personally i have neither the time nor the budget to prebait . I know it can be done relaively cheaply with particle baits but im a boilie man so i dont .

Also , es , take into consideration the chances of you getting to fish the swim you have baited ?

I wouldnt be pre-baiting for those goons on your lake to take advantage of.

scaling down on the amount of bait can be a negative in my opinion, especially if your usimg just boilies at this time of year due simply to the fact that there is so much more birdlife at this time of year, tufties :evil: . i tend to use mainly boilies but will know and again use some particle/carp pellet if the tufties are getting on my spots regularly. and one other point that i feel is very important when pre-baiting, especially over winter is that if you have been doing it a while don't stop. in the past few weeks ive literally had to bait up wearing my waders as my lakes been flooded, so no matter how wet it is out there or cold in my opinion keep it going in. even when its iced over i will freeze groundbait balls and catapult them out to break through the ice. if you stop feeding then the carp will stop and they could then hole up and thats them for a however long. its a lot of effort but the rewards are there. one winter i baited twice a week every week and only fished 1 night between mid nov' to mid feb' and blanked but all that effort didnt go to waste as the next night i done produced a mid 40 for me and id have taken that at that start of winter :D

I've always believed in pre-baiting to get the fish onto your bait winter and summer.

A few years ago I was fishing a small local (runs) water for a week over Christmas and New Year.

I kept up with baiting with a food source bait every day, but fishing 1 rod with hi-attract baits for 3 days as well as 1 with the food source. After day 3 the fish switched onto the food source bait, and I then only had takes on that food source.

It may have been baiting while fishing, but really it was a case of pre-baiting a bit until the fish switched onto it.

I don't think that with particles in winter it is so viable as many particles rely on the natural oils to attract, and since in winter the oil may well congeal they are not so good. There is an exception though in a couple, small amounts of hemp can work, and sweetcorn, which is very visual, and is also very rich I believe in lysine, Wikipedia for the easy option:

As an essential amino acid, lysine is not synthesized in animals, hence it must be ingested as lysine or lysine-containing proteins.

In terms of continual pre-baiting, I don't usually change the amount I put in (when I pack up) at the end of a session to that which I use in summer (1kilo of boilies) per week if possible. I want the fish to find the food there, I may get ducked (try to put bait in areas they don't go if possible) or other fish taking some of them , but there will be some found by the carp. If there is too much, I may potentially reduce my chances, but the fish will be used to eating the baits. Add to that a good food source bait will also break down on the lakebed (other fish and bacteria as well as naturally) and won't do any harm.

My winter results are often as good as my summer results due to having the fish comfortably eating the bait.

I've always believed in pre-baiting to get the fish onto your bait winter and summer.

A few years ago I was fishing a small local (runs) water for a week over Christmas and New Year.

I kept up with baiting with a food source bait every day, but fishing 1 rod with hi-attract baits for 3 days as well as 1 with the food source. After day 3 the fish switched onto the food source bait, and I then only had takes on that food source.

It may have been baiting while fishing, but really it was a case of pre-baiting a bit until the fish switched onto it.

I don't think that with particles in winter it is so viable as many particles rely on the natural oils to attract, and since in winter the oil may well congeal they are not so good. There is an exception though in a couple, small amounts of hemp can work, and sweetcorn, which is very visual, and is also very rich I believe in lysine, Wikipedia for the easy option:

As an essential amino acid, lysine is not synthesized in animals, hence it must be ingested as lysine or lysine-containing proteins.

In terms of continual pre-baiting, I don't usually change the amount I put in (when I pack up) at the end of a session to that which I use in summer (1kilo of boilies) per week if possible. I want the fish to find the food there, I may get ducked (try to put bait in areas they don't go if possible) or other fish taking some of them , but there will be some found by the carp. If there is too much, I may potentially reduce my chances, but the fish will be used to eating the baits. Add to that a good food source bait will also break down on the lakebed (other fish and bacteria as well as naturally) and won't do any harm.

My winter results are often as good as my summer results due to having the fish comfortably eating the bait.

Hi again, so Gordon you say you put in a kilo a week. Do you introduce this slowly over time? Should I say bait up twice a week. A handful or 2 over various spots? The thing I worry about is that because one of the lakes I fish is small like 1-2 acres that whereever I bait other people will fish over the top of it.

I don't think that with particles in winter it is so viable as many particles

rely on the natural oils to attract, and since in winter the oil may well

congeal they are not so good. There is an exception though in a couple, small amounts of hemp can work, and sweetcorn, which is very visual, and is also very rich I believe in lysine, Wikipedia for the easy option:

Hi again, so Gordon you say you put in a kilo a week. Do you introduce this slowly over time? Should I say bait up twice a week. A handful or 2 over various spots? The thing I worry about is that because one of the lakes I fish is small like 1-2 acres that whereever I bait other people will fish over the top of it.

Its Nick not Gordon lol sorry it made me smile don't know why..

As I pack up I leave a kilo of boilies out of the gear, along with catapult or throwing stick.

I then fire them in around the lake (walking round if not going to bother anyone), or just the area in front of me if there are people who would be offended by my firing baits in.

Nick

Sorry Nick, got it the wrong way round, I just remember you saying years ago that your user name was your name backwards nickolas Gordon, sorry about the misunderstanding.

So essentially you don't pre-bait in choice ares, just whereever you have been fishing? Do you fish at least once a week?

Thing is I want to fish with mainly boilies but I don't want to pay the earth for them. In the angling press they always go on about using quality baits, but I wouldn't say sweetcorn is quality. I was chatting to Adam penning on my facebook (I'm pretty sure its him and not an imposter) and he says he only uses 3 bait companies. Obviously I want what I'm feeding the fish to be good for them, but what is good quality? Can a bait be to good a quality, making it not necassary.

Sorry Nick, got it the wrong way round, I just remember you saying years ago that your user name was your name backwards nickolas Gordon, sorry about the misunderstanding.

So essentially you don't pre-bait in choice ares, just whereever you have been fishing? Do you fish at least once a week?

Thing is I want to fish with mainly boilies but I don't want to pay the earth for them. In the angling press they always go on about using quality baits, but I wouldn't say sweetcorn is quality. I was chatting to Adam penning on my facebook (I'm pretty sure its him and not an imposter) and he says he only uses 3 bait companies. Obviously I want what I'm feeding the fish to be good for them, but what is good quality? Can a bait be to good a quality, making it not necassary.

I think that there are some baits that are as good in terms of attraction and nutrition, and are instantly acceptable, and will catch.

In that though after a period of time, the carp may well start to avoid that bait from repeat captures if every time they pick up the bait they get hooked, therefore, by pre-baiting you are allowing them to have freebies, and the more they eat, then the risk becomes less if that makes sense.

I think everyone knows about my recent bait history and the baits I was using, but before I used B&F I was rolling my own Trigga, Enervite, BFM etc.

In fact there are now only 2 bait companies that I really feel happy using, Nutrabaits and Richworths base mixes/boilies as I feel that they offer best quality and ethics within the market place.

A kilo of Trigga a week may be £11 in the lake (if buying frozen ready mades), but I thought that 4 of 5 fish a session between 10 and 25lbs meant it was worthwhile.

There are probably some good honest bait companies out there who do bait cheaper than £11 a kilo, although after being caught out recently, I would look carefully.

Unfortunately at the moment, fishing is when I can grab a session, but I keep in touch with the lake to find out what bait does go in most, and then try to match it. In the past it was fishing every week, or working 3 weeks and then fishing the 4th, so pre-baiting was always possible