Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
salokcinnodrog

Which first, rods or bivvy?

Point taken Steve, But if it was a venue you hadn't fished before your approach changes surely? Im just trying to understand both sides of the coin as I always treat these topics as advice

Look for signs of fish and fish for a bite every time ...... It's the only thing you can do on a short/new venue Pete

I think the main reason my rods are last is the fact that mine aren't made up when I get there. so everything else gets set up first so that I can sit in comfort to sort the rods. but while my rods aren't in I normally put the freebies out then soon as rods are ready im onto the free bait.

I think the main reason my rods are last is the fact that mine aren't made up when I get there. so everything else gets set up first so that I can sit in comfort to sort the rods. but while my rods aren't in I normally put the freebies out then soon as rods are ready im onto the free bait.

I see what you mean Pete but ..... If your not in the water your not fishing ..... I bet the last thing you pack away is your rods .... I don't know anyone who pulls there rods in 1st when there packing up to go home .... I think the point is it only takes a second to get a bite that's why most people get there baits out in the water ASAP :wink:

Pete , i think what dal and stevey are saying , and what nick is assuming in his opening post is that all the fish spotting , watercraft (or in my case guesswork :D ) has been done before you decided what swim you are going to fish .

Nick was asking what goes in/up first , the rods or the bivvy ?

Now , taking his question quite literally , yes my rods go out before my bivvy goes up but putting the rods out isnt always the first thing i do once i've decided where to fish .

Its just a fact that my rods are fishing before my bivvy gets erected ...

...and i think thats the point thats trying to be made .

If you feel you want to make yourself comfortable first , all the time watching the water and deciding exactly HOW you are going to tackle your chosen swim , before you actually cast a line then that is totally your decision , everyone to his own , and you can tell them to go to hell :lol:

I have to say to me this is a no brainier , 3 rods thrown in the margins has to be better than 3 rods lent up against the bivvy doing nothing .

Thats the bottom line .

As I'm usually there for 3 - 5 days or more anyway, therefore time is not critical. So its bivvy up first, gear inside, (in case it rains), then and only then, do I chuck out the rods.

BOF :wink:

Pete , i think what dal and stevey are saying , and what nick is assuming in his opening post is that all the fish spotting , watercraft (or in my case guesswork :D ) has been done before you decided what swim you are going to fish .

Nick was asking what goes in/up first , the rods or the bivvy ?

Now , taking his question quite literally , yes my rods go out before my bivvy goes up but putting the rods out isnt always the first thing i do once i've decided where to fish .

Its just a fact that my rods are fishing before my bivvy gets erected ...

...and i think thats the point thats trying to be made .

If you feel you want to make yourself comfortable first , all the time watching the water and deciding exactly HOW you are going to tackle your chosen swim , before you actually cast a line then that is totally your decision , everyone to his own , and you can tell them to go to hell :lol:

I can see the benefits of getting the rods in first especially if your rods are already set up then its just a case of putting the rods together and clipping your chosen hook length on. Because of the way I travel to the lake and the way I transport my gear it just wouldn't work for me. Yes the rods are the last thing I break down to pack away as I always have to have that last cast.

As I'm usually there for 3 - 5 days or more anyway, therefore time is not critical. So its bivvy up first, gear inside, (in case it rains), then and only then, do I chuck out the rods.

I'm the same in most cases, at least fishing for 48hours, although I do still do occasional overnighters or day sessions.

I suppose I should have said you've decided on swim, and then chosen on its merits, but wanted other thoughts as well.

As Pete said, hopefully we are all learning from these threads.

I'm nearly always one for putting the rods in first (after setting landing net up :wink::P ), unless the rain is torrential; in which case bivvy goes up, just to keep the PVA dry :wink::lol:

Day or overnight session, I know the water, not usually a need for a marker rod, rods out (maybe not bother with shelter at all).

Other trips, it is marker rod out first, I tend to know the features, but I still want to be spot on (http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57425) then the rods get cast out long before the bivvy gets put up.

I can fish without a bivvy, but I can't fish without the rods :wink:

My hooklinks are already tied on. I have checked them before I left home, and I check the hook and hair before I cast out (possibly needing a change if I have bent a hook point over, very rare). The only addition to the rod before I cast in, is that PVA bag or stringer.

Once the rods are in, I can set the bivvy up in no hurry, even in the dark and then get comfortable and tidy.

We will all do things differently, but there are a fair few occasions when I have had fish before the bivvy has been set up!

It doesn't matter so long as you have your net out, mat down, pliers or hemostat out, and a pail of water sitting there before you cast out. After you cast and set your rods up then you can zero your scales to the wet sling and start building your house. The one thing you don't want is a surprise fish and no where to put it.

Exactly the same as BOF.

Ian

Last time I set up my bivvy first, I went to cast out after and couldn't as it was in the way!

I made this mistake once and instead of moving the bivvy, I tried to avoid it. At some point over that weekend I lined up a 120 odd yard cast and went for it. The hook caught in the bivvy and CRACK! top section of the rod snapped and splintered all over the place.

Since that day, the rods go out first :)

Landing net and mat/sling out for me first, followed by the rods. Brolly is the last thing to go up, and if it's a nice day that can wait for a while too.

I made the noob mistake of putting my rods out first once, before I had got my net and mat ready. How was I to know that a great big lump was going to take my bait on the drop??? I'll never do that again

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

but there are a fair few occasions when I have had fish before the bivvy has been set up!

Yeah I used to have a bivvy like that, but since the advent of "pram hood" style bivvies, I dont have that difficulty any more. :lol:

IMO this discussion will be irrelevant in 5-10yrs ( if that long) :cry::x:evil:

You thinking about those otters again andy ?

Never stop, they've been seen in the Cotswold water park :cry: how long till they get into horseshoe and farriers :evil:

Rods before a Bivvy for me.

I walk round the lake always before fishing, you see a fish crash a couple of times infront of an empty swim.

So for me, I want to get a baited rod ontop of that fish as quickly as possible, of I set the Bivvy up first then put a rod out out there the fish could be long gone and missed a possible fish

always the command center up first then cup of tea and survey the situation and finaly when happy take all the time it needs to get the rods out as they can be rushed and hastily done the other way round, i make better decsions when comfortable and relaxed.

Exactly the same as BOF.

Ian

\

So you put your bivvy up - then see that the fish are boshing down the other end! Are we hunting carp or camping?