Otter Petition 2014

salokcinnodrog

This is this years Otter Petition:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/59529

Whatever your thoughts on whether it will do any good, as anglers we really must stop burying our heads in the sand, even if you don't normally sign petitions, then PLEASE sign this one. The Government then have to discuss this once it reaches the required amount of e-signatures.

The more we keep on, then eventually people have to sit up and take notice. As anglers, we are at the forefront of protecting nature

Apathy Apathy everywhere there's apathy, not my problem so what :evil:

WAKE UP GUYS, believe me it WILL BE :evil:

Should this petition reach the 100'000 number and inturn should someone in government decide to raise the subject in parliament what do you actually want to happen or what do you think will happen ?

Should this petition reach the 100'000 number and inturn should someone in government decide to raise the subject in parliament what do you actually want to happen or what do you think will happen ?

Hopefully protected status removed so fisheries can protect their livelyhood

If I'm honest nothing will be done, I wouldn't mind betting the petition won't even get 5000 signatures :cry:

.......If I'm honest nothing will be done, I wouldn't mind betting the petition won't even get 5000 signatures :cry:

While I agree with you, that should not stop anyone from signing; no matter how many times we have to sign it.

Everyone moans about things wrong with the country and then are to lazy to type their name on a keyboard that they are already using when someone tries to solicit change.

Hopefully protected status removed so fisheries can protect their livelyhood

If I'm honest nothing will be done, I wouldn't mind betting the petition won't even get 5000 signatures :cry:

I agree as well but im prepared to help in any way i can and signing an e-petition is easy peasy and their are millions of anglers in this country SO .....

And this is the problem , no one is going to announce open season on otters .

Agreed, but if we don't try there's no point discussing about " 3 rods 1 licence" or " which 1st Bivvy or rods" cos there'll be no fish to catch :shock::evil:

I fish Horseshoe in the Cotswold water park, there are otters on lakes there now, how long before Horseshoe or Farriers gets wiped out :cry::evil:

I have signed, just like I did the two other and I will continue to sign for as long as it takes. There are 2.4 million carp anglers in this country, its not a lot to ask for is it. Everyone always thinks its someone else's problem, well it won't be soon, give it 10 to 12 years and your water will be affected in some way. Otters dont even eat the whole fish, its like taking a whole pig for a bacon butty, and guess what, they will do it again and again until a fishery is empty. Even if you don't think signing will do much good, give the powers that be a fighting chance to change things for us all.

Take a look at the PAG page and look at what they are proposing, just dont sit on your hands and do nothing, dont leave it for somebody else, because believe me you won't be worried about the next bivvy to buy or what rods you will need as there won't be any fish left.

I have seen 6 to 8 fisheries I know of being affected with in the last 6 months, so just look and sign, dont sit on your arris like everyone else.

Something that may help get more signatures is if anglers can make people like the RSPB aware of how otters are also killing birds.

The RSPB has a lot more clout in government than anglers, because they are so well organised, and not fragmented as anglers are always going to be.

I have put a post on The British Bird Lovers website, showing the Youtube video of an otter killing a heron, and the link to the e-petition. (https://www.facebook.com/BritishBirdLovers)

It may not be much, but if it makes more people aware of how damaging the otter can be in this unchecked spread, then I believe it will be successful

Well done nick i reckon that will be a big help .

And im not being sarcastic before anybody else suggests it , its all about publicity . Making people realise thats its not just anglers who are affected .

Organizations like the rspb , organizations that this so called goverment consider important.

Unlike us .

Copied from the PAG website

Otters are protected by the EC Habitats Directive

In England and Wales otters are fully protected under the Conservation (Natural Habitats, &c.) Regulations 1994 (as amended) (the Habitats Regulations). In the following description an otter holt includes hovers and couches, which are otter resting places above ground. Artificial holts are not considered as holts under the legislation until they are known to be used by otters. The Habitats Regulations make it illegal to:

• Deliberately capture, injure or kill an otter

• Deliberately disturb an otter in such a way as to be likely to significantly affect the local distribution or abundance of otters or the ability of any significant group of otters to survive, breed, rear or nurture their young

• Damage or destroy an otter holt

• Possess or transport an otter or any part of any otter

• Sell (or offer for sale) or exchange an otter

Otters have become exempt from many of the provisions of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended). However, otters are still protected under Section 9(4)(b) and © and (5) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act. This means that, in addition to the provisions of the Habitats Regulations, it is also illegal under the Wildlife and Countryside Act to:

• Intentionally or recklessly disturb any otter whilst it is occupying a holt

• Intentionally or recklessly obstruct access to a holt

You can't even fart in their direction :evil:

AS said before otters will become the modern day fox, moving into towns Scavenging for food

In some parts they already are :shock::?[/quote

When they start attacking children it will be " why is this happening, why have we not done anything about it. Most of us remember when a fox would run away from a human, now they attack, Badgers the same will attack, you can just see it in the "Sun" newspaper infant attacked in garden by otter......

• 1 month later...