This year has to bring me a 30

Welcome to Carp.com.

Like it has been said, size is not everything, and its just a number.

There is a massive difference in catching a 'genuine' fish from a water as opposed to catching from an overstocked puddle.

In 25 years of carp fishing, I've only ever caught 3 30lb carp, and for years my largest fish (actually I'll call it PB) was a 28lb carp from a river, which I reckon was worth a lot more than the weight alone; Looks, from the river and effort to catch it made it a worthwhile PB fish.

I've fished waters with 30lb carp in from 1998, and only 3 have I been lucky enough, and at least one of them was exactly that, luck. It wasn't until 2009 that I caught a carp over that weight of 30lb, and carp of that size as Grange has said, are few and far between or one fish in an overstocked puddle.

The most important thing in fishing is to not put pressure on yourself to catch a PB, but to enjoy what you do, and learn from every fish and every trip.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I do enjoy my fishing and mostly all of the carp i catch, i think most carp fisherman who havnt yet had a 30 do aspire to put one on the bank and i have been close to that weight a few times now but.......im not rushing to a muddy puddle to pull one out as there would be no sense of achievment in that, to be honest the overstocked waters do not do it for me.

Anyway....the 30 will come.

Cheers all

good luck in your quest mate. the only thing with your aim is that you obviously need to fish a lake with 30's in it( yes that is obvious :roll: ). do you know the number of 30's in your chosen lake? for me you want the numbers stacked in your favour. ok there are "muddy puddles" full of 30's and if there not your thing then you got to find a lake that holds a fair few to give you that chance. all obvious things i know but some people dont know what their chosen lakes hold. as has been said dont pressure yourself and just enjoy it, it will come im sure :wink:

There are a few day ticket waters that i am going to try this year (lakemore in crewe and also blakemere) which both have 30s in them.

But I like a challenge so i want to also get my warrington anglers ticket back again and try the big lake at sandiway, there is loads of natural fish in there and with it being such a large place that isnt really fished alot, well the times i have been on in the past i practically had the plae to myself, i would get a sense of achievment pulling a 30 out of there.

But i am just going to enjoy my fishing and the 30 will be a bonus :D

• 1 month later...

29.7lb? Shouldve given the scales a shake! Lol!! Only joking!

I got well into the 30 hunting game years back, devoting every free minute to hunting one down. one night, i finally had the take i was after and the hook pulled at the net!

Went back for a purely social session, just picked a swim next to my mate at random, chucked out two single hookbaits under overhanging bushes, no effort shown! Sat back with a beer and a rollie and chill out with some good mates, at 1145pm, i hooked and landed a 30lb 5oz mirror, only time this mirror went over 30.

Once i joined the army, i moved all over and i couldnt get on a water i liked the look of, i found one water with 30s in it, but it was nails and i struggled to get my head around the place.

i moved to a nearby lake just for a change and had a 28lb and 35lb common in one 6pm-7am session! Last thing on my mind was a 30, even though i was aware there were a few present, i certianly didnt expect to land one of them!!

The (self applied) pressure was off and i could relax and fish for fun, went to a holiday park with a lake, chilled out on a "runs water" and landed a 31lb mirror!

When i actually set out to catch one, i had real issues, when i just fished to enjoy it i caught 2 30s, both Pb mirror and Pb common.

im now on the 30 trail again... although none of them will beat my current Pb, (as far as i know anyway!) i cant wait to get in there and have a few out, as it s, 1st session out yesterday, had a 22lb ghostie (biggest ghostie to date) and im buzzing at the thought of getting more.

those who let the numbers game overtake them will soon burn out and fade away, as rod hutchinson said in "a carp strikes back," "dont forget to stop and smell the hops along the way!!"

:)

I'd love to catch a 30 this year....but won't be too upset if I don't. My current pb is 25lb 11oz. 

I went out the week before last and caught 5, my scales were playing up and the 1st one I caught I would put money on that it beat it....but I couldn't blooming weigh it!

Had 4 out last week, three mirrors at 19lb, 16lb and 14lb and a Common at 12lb. The 19lb fish came in like a wet sack (read Bream lol!) didn't put up much of a scrap at all. But the 16lb one went off like an exocet and this gave me the most pleasure. 

Hay clayton what happens after you bank your 30, you'll be wanting a 35,then a 40. your 30 will come I promise you, when I cant say ,

tight lines mate good luck  

you can always cheat and pop over to France ,Plenty more lakes that hold big fish, it will be frond apron bye the purists, if the lakes you fish only hold a few big one it will be a lot harder to take the target, find yourself a water that as a good head of big fish to reduce the odds in your favour,

take Conningbrook in Kent 25 plus acres  not many fish, very hard venue I tried and failed. bream pike tench but no carp ,

Edited by MrToftman

I

You can always cheat and pop over to France ,Plenty more lakes that hold big fish, it will be frond apron bye the purists

I am off to France at the end of June. Small, natural lake. No massive great "force fed" lumps in there, biggest I think goes to mid 40's.

If I am lucky enough to oink out a 30, will that count, or will I be treated with disdain by "proper" carpers??????

:confused:

I

I am off to France at the end of June. Small, natural lake. No massive great "force fed" lumps in there, biggest I think goes to mid 40's.

If I am lucky enough to oink out a 30, will that count, or will I be treated with disdain by "proper" carpers??????

:confused:

A 30 is a 30 if you ask me. I couldn't care less where a fish is born and bred; I much prefer a good looker than anything else.

If that stops me from being a 'proper' carper then Woo Hoo  :wink:

A 30 is a 30 if you ask me. I couldn't care less where a fish is born and bred; I much prefer a good looker than anything else.

If that stops me from being a 'proper' carper then Woo Hoo  :wink:

That's what I think. At some places in France a 30 would be considered a pastie. But on the lake I'm fishing, a 30 would be a good fish.

The lake I do most of my fishing on at the moment holds carp to just under 30 and I've had a near 26 out. I consider that to be a "good" fish whereas somebody that has pulled a 60 out over in France might sneer at it.

Weird old game isn't it.

I don't think it's that strange at all. France has a different climate, that makes bigger fish quite common.

In the UK our 'harsh' winters and poor summers tend to lean towards smaller fish. Making bigger fish more rare.

If the odds in the weight game are stacked far more in your favour, then it's much less of an achievement. And for that reason, I'm from the school that believes UK PB's and other country PB's should be kept seperate.

It's kind of like Catching a snake in Australia, and comparing it to a snake someone caught in the Antarctic. They may be the same genus, but they are completely different animals.