best mode of bait deliverance?

nathanhuynh

It is a question often asked nower days in carp fishing: how best to deliver bait. Personally I hate spods because I think that carp must flea like hell the second a spod foams up the water. I use a korda easy stick for boilies (20mm) and a big catapult for particles. If I MUST use a spod because its a long way off then I use a spomb. But what in your opinion is the best way of getting bait out there, thinking about disturbance, accurancy and range (if nessesary), one for boilies and one for particles

thankyou

Got to be the spod/spomb for me :wink::lol:

I can put bait out as far as I can cast my fishing rods, and it doesn't get raided by seagulls. I've never actually found spodding bait out off-putting, and it can deal with a mix of bait, groundbait, pellets, and whole/crumbed boilies in one hit, from short range up to extreme distance.

Another advantage is that a spod or spomb will get bait out faster than it takes to fire out with the stick or catapult, unless you are able to ball up groundbait and throw it in.

Again, I have had carp taking my hookbait within minutes of the last spod being reeled in. It may spook them on some waters, but sure as heck noy on every one. In fact in Tim Paisley's To Catch a Carp he mentions spodding baits in, and within minutes had a 'bream like take', which turned out to be a good sized carp

I can also use the throwing stick for boilies alone to over 100metres, and a catapult for boilies alone up to around 75metres, and at short range for particles. I must admit though, I don't get on with the Korda models, at least not one handed, they don't go right for me, I prefer the Cobra shaped sticks (Is it now Nash Cobra shaped?)

Then of course, there is the expensive way, but sometimes you need to do it, and that is big bags, mesh or stringers made with PVA.

In other words, in my view you need to be able to put bait out by all methods.

It all depends on where I'm fishing.

If I'm fishing close in and catapults will reach, I'll use a catapult.

If I'm fishing further out, then a spod / spomb for particles.

If I'm fishing further out still then a spod / spomb for both.

I do have a throwing stick for boilies, but I'm useless with it :oops: I'll try and use it for a couple of handfuls of boilies, put 95% of them 3 foot in front of me and change to catapult / spod / spomb (i quite regularly snap catapult elastic by using it to get baits out further than it can handle :oops: )

I cant use a stick any more , my shoulder is to decrepit nowadays and a veteran of many a ct scan .

Fortuneatly i've never had to fish at long range so a catapult (esp) has always served me well . That is untill last year when the seagull population appeared to quadruple overnight so i've had to look at other methods.

Yes i'm also a believer in the spod scaring scenario . I can never be sure it spooks the fish but because i only fish shortish sessions i wouldnt take a chance . Purely a confidence thing that would probably be different if i was there for a week.

Besides i dont own a spod rod :)

I have taken to using a mini spomb. Minimum disturbance and i can use it on a normal carp rod.

Oh and lots and lots of pva... :lol:

For me, close in I'll lob bait in by hand. Absolute best methods in my opinion are use of a method feeder or pva bag. You know you are right where you need to be.

Catapult is ok for boilies, but I usually on use a boilie as the hook bait.

I think spods sound great. I've used them maybe three times but when you watch guys fishing them over zigs they seem to do well. You can use a real sloppy mix that quickly distributes odor in the water. I don't think carp are scared by them. If anything they'll be attracted to that dinner bell.

It is a question often asked nower days in carp fishing: how best to deliver bait. Personally I hate spods because I think that carp must flea like hell the second a spod foams up the water. I use a korda easy stick for boilies (20mm) and a big catapult for particles. If I MUST use a spod because its a long way off then I use a spomb. But what in your opinion is the best way of getting bait out there, thinking about disturbance, accurancy and range (if nessesary), one for boilies and one for particles

thankyou

Go on nathan get a bait boat you know you want to :wink::wink:

thankyou

it's CHEATING!!

But that for another thread!

thankyou

it's CHEATING!!

But that for another thread!

But so are alarms :roll: