Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
salokcinnodrog

Choosing a water

Oh well, after the past few years it looks like I may have to start fishing a new water a bit closer to home. I really wanted to stay down on Nazeing and the lagoons, but practicality means it may be time to stay in Suffolk.

I have a few waters to choose from, but with at the moment having to rely on public transport I need somewhere nearby.

How do you go about choosing your waters?

Is it down to cost, the fish, even the locality or the scenery?

I really struggle to fish an overstocked hole in the ground, and prefer places with a bit of a 'sacred' atmosphere, so how do you choose why and where you fish?

I dont choose to fish anywhere , the venue chooses me .

I cant drive and , although i intended to put that right , recent events mean i probably never will at my age .

I do wish that i could afford to choose a venue but have resigned myself to fishing the chase for the rest of my life.

Fortuneatly , even though i have fished there on and off for 40 years , carp wise i havent even begun to get to the bottom of the place yet which does keep me motivated because i know there is at least one 34 lber in there and probably more.

In addition to this there is another lake on the complex which has lots of bigguns and will probably throw up a 40 pretty soon.

I consider that lake hard (for me) i cant get my head round the weed, but it is there for me when i want the challenge .

In an ideal world with transport and funds no object i would like to hit the main essex day ticket waters such as churchwood and par , maybe return to crow green too cos i have unfinished business there .

Mate , in my head i have such a great campaign worked out . Bait , tactics everything but deep down i know its just pie in the sky.

I would love to know how you manage public transport . I only fish for 48 hrs max but my gear totally fills a ford galaxy with seats down and i've tried travelling lighter but just cant .

My ambitions for this year ?

To fish as often as i can and enjoy it . And to one day attend a carp.com social to meet up with you lot. Ohh and dunno why but swp appeals to me as well.

for me it has to be a syndicate and hold a good head of 30's and some 40's and maybe a 50 or two, not asking much am i :shock: . fortunately i live in an area where i can drive half an hour north south east or west and i will find such waters :D . getting on them though is a different matter :( though i do hold a few tickets for such waters :D and my name is nearing the top of a list or two on another couple of waters . i do fish a club water during the spring but it is soley for getting a bend in the rod and is nice and quiet which is nice compared to what can be a circus on a couple of my syndicates

Wish I had such a luxury. Very very few waters around me hold 30's. Some of them hold a fish that goes 30 at a certain time of year, or when someone's scales says it does, and some hold 30's on the permanent missing list. Fish size really doesn't come into it anymore as I wouldn't be fishing round here, a few lads I have fished with travel 4+ hours each way to their syndicates!!!

I like character fish and that's what I look for. I'm lucky enough to have one reservoir 12 mins from home, its not ideal, but it has a few originals left in it. Its also season ticket only, so keeps some of the muppets away, not all of them mind, but its fairly peacefull.

There is a syndicate 35 mins away I am on an waiting list for, hopefully this year....however, its a shadow of its former self, with practically naff all left in it worth catching, however, its just such a beautiful lake, I would be happy to sit there and watch the otters play all day long.

I like fishing alone, and I couldn't be more happy if I didn't see another soul for my entire session. I would take dog walkers over fishermen all day.

For us ( my fishing buddy an me ) the lake had to be safe , hold some decent fish , not get so rammed you couldn't fish it , not have idiots , not be a total hole in the ground .

The lake we have now fished for four years fitted all those requirements , it's not a big water but there are swims you can fish with no chance of interference from others , you let him know when your fishing so it never gets to the point where it is over crowded , the owner lives on site and will not tolerate ANY idiots noise or any of the things that annoy most of us about fishing .

It's not the cheapest or nearest place we could fish but it suits our needs and to us is worth the extra money .

We had many sessions spoiled over the years by the actions of others and our limited times out are precious , to know you are going to have a peaceful time

while on the bank and not get into pointless arguments with people who just don't get it is a nice feeling.

I would love to know how you manage public transport . I only fish for 48 hrs max but my gear totally fills a ford galaxy with seats down and i've tried travelling lighter but just cant .

My ambitions for this year ?

To fish as often as i can and enjoy it . And to one day attend a carp.com social to meet up with you lot. Ohh and dunno why but swp appeals to me as well.

Getting to Nazeing was fun, and was managed by either train from Derby Road Ipswich, a small station about 600metres from the house, with a change at Ipswich and Cambridge to Broxbourne, or with the occasional and carefully negotiated lift from my step father as he went to and from work in London.

If it was train, I had carefully reduced my gear to minimal levels. I had to pack everything in Rucksack and Rod Bag, then carry bedchair (with sleeping bag inside) and my tackle box.

When I arrived at Broxbourne, I would book a taxi to take me the last 4 miles or so. I'd then get gear to the swim, and set up, followed by a trip to the shops for groceries.

Step Father was a whole lot easier as he would give me a lift direct to the lakes, but I would also be dog sitting the two dogs, so I did have an extra couple of bags, my food as well as the things that the dogs needed.

Even now the local waters are not local as such. I'm still going to have to rely on public transport to get from mine to Melton or wherever!

Good afternoon mr woodchester , long time etc etc :lol:

Nick. , i currently have a holdall so i think a rucksack might be a good idea in the future , probably get more in a rucksack and jeeps both hands free .

More trouble is the bivvy . Its a jrc sti and i love it but its just so damned heavy and my bivvy bag is enormous :cry:

For me it has to have old wily carp. Don't like puddle chucking! Lol. Not many waters in Cornwall that have 30s and the ones that do are either busy or clicky. I prefer quiet lakes where i can have a real campaign and not fish it now and then. Saying that when i pass my car test, when lol ill be travelling a bit more and hope to get on a lovely clay pit syndicate one day. IM on the list. I like a lake with history. Size is wonderful but the challenge gets me going even when its near impossible to fish there or insanity kicking in fishing in storms for what feels like no reason lol. Blanked for weeks but still at it every weekend. Ill get that big common this year. If i was in your position i would just go someone that you can get a bite somewhere. If it makes you smile when you leave then your on to a winner.