Flummoxed

ukfrosty

I'm flummoxed by carp fishing. I just can't understand why fishing a tiny lake, smaller in area than a football pitch, I can't catch a carp quickly or even at all, each time I go fishing.

When I started carp fishing I thought a boilie, with it's tough skin, locking in all the goodness was a bad way to go. Why seal in all the goodness. OK now I understand that gluggs, de-skinned boilies and even freebies around them either by pva bag, bait stick or spod etc can get over these limitations. Add to that liquid attractants. I can see where a boilie fished on the hook for hours can have it's place. You can be sure the bait is on there unlike say bread that will possibly break down or be slowly devoured by smaller species.

For the reasons above I often fish bread, method mixes on a feeder, corn etc. Later swapping to a boilie hook bait along with the feeder and method mix. I've also tried prawns, pepperami, luncheon meat etc.

Still I'm failing to catch. I try hair rigged boilies. Pop ups, sometimes high viz etc.

It often leaves me wondering if carp fishing doesn't have better undiscovered methods. Zig rigs for example. I like most other people fish most of the time with a bottom bait, yet the fish may never be down that deep. I suppose my point is that carp seem far more difficult to catch than I would have imagined. It may just be the one venue I fish. Other venues have proved far easier for some reason. Maybe it's because the cold makes carp a bit slower and more sluggish also because I really do feel that fish in warmer climates just seem so much easier to catch.

Anyone feel the same?

:confused:

Well yes . I think its a well known fact that carp are easier to catch in the summer.

But dont forget , up until recently carp were actually considered pretty much uncatchable .

There have been a few threads just lately from people with similar problems and i take it you have read those and maybe even contributed to them ?

I think you may have answered your own question with zig rigs although they are hardly undiscovered .

I was reading an article by kevin nash a few months ago . Now admittedly he was trying to plug his new riser pellets at the time (similar to solar's up & down stuff) but he reckoned that carp may spend as much as 20 hours a day NOT on the lakebed.

He suggested fishing 3 (or 4) zig rigs at various depths and moving them up (or down) by as little as 4 inches at a time every 20-30 minutes until you find the depth the fish are feeding at .

His theory was that carp are water pigs and will eat all day every day if you let them , you just cant tell WHERE and while you are fishing all these zigs at varying depths then you are doing everything you can to make things happen instead of slinging out a bottom bait and sitting there for days waiting for the carp to come across it .

As i said , he WAS trying to plug one of his new baits at the time but there is definatley food for thought there .

I wish i could fish zigs .

I have an absolute nightmare with . Tangles .

:oops:

That's carp fishing mate. Have you been fishing long?

I don't really understand your dislike of boilies; it's not a bait made just for attraction, it's the stuff 'locked' inside that keeps the carp coming back on a regular basis as it provides everything a carp needs in its diet. That's why it's such a good bait

All the fun of carping. The carpy conundrums:) love it. As said every method bait etc has its place at certain times in the right areas. If you get it right you catch wrong you don't. That's the beauty of it, never 100% and you could be literally seconds from hooking one when you reel in. Without knowledge of it. Why i love catching or trying to catch carp more than any other species. There's more to it than catching like the scenary, the effort, the rewards, the highs, the lows and most of all the enjoyment. When i don't enjoy it ill sell my gear. Never will this happen. Its an addiction :D glad in hooked excuse the pun. Good luck i have been where you are and i am at the minute. These times test an angler and his ability's

To post a cliche; it's called fishing, not catching.

Changing things up to outwit the fish is part of the challenge that I love.

Fishing such a small water, I think the main thing that I would do is fish with light tackle. 6 or 8lb line with a size 10 or 12 hook.

Good post . Back to basics might be the way to go , float fishing etc.

Thats the trouble with modern carp fishing , not enough have served the apprenticeship ( to coin another cliche).

The apprenticeship teaches kids the patience they will require when they want to try and catch a big carp .

Or a barbel .

I'm flummoxed by carp fishing. I just can't understand why fishing a tiny lake, smaller in area than a football pitch, I can't catch a carp quickly or even at all, each time I go fishing.

When I started carp fishing I thought a boilie, with it's tough skin, locking in all the goodness was a bad way to go. Why seal in all the goodness. OK now I understand that gluggs, de-skinned boilies and even freebies around them either by pva bag, bait stick or spod etc can get over these limitations. Add to that liquid attractants. I can see where a boilie fished on the hook for hours can have it's place. You can be sure the bait is on there unlike say bread that will possibly break down or be slowly devoured by smaller species.

For the reasons above I often fish bread, method mixes on a feeder, corn etc. Later swapping to a boilie hook bait along with the feeder and method mix. I've also tried prawns, pepperami, luncheon meat etc.

Still I'm failing to catch. I try hair rigged boilies. Pop ups, sometimes high viz etc.

It often leaves me wondering if carp fishing doesn't have better undiscovered methods. Zig rigs for example. I like most other people fish most of the time with a bottom bait, yet the fish may never be down that deep. I suppose my point is that carp seem far more difficult to catch than I would have imagined. It may just be the one venue I fish. Other venues have proved far easier for some reason. Maybe it's because the cold makes carp a bit slower and more sluggish also because I really do feel that fish in warmer climates just seem so much easier to catch.

Anyone feel the same?

:confused:

A boilie is the prefect bait in some cases, and very inefficient in others.

They are hard skinned to deter being attacked and ripped apart by smaller fish. You can create better attraction by not using them as hard skinned baits, in other words, use a paste bait, made from exactly the same ingredients. The attraction is increased, and the bait will work for carp.

Then there are other limitations, a boilie can be made up of ingredients that feed the carp, a food source bait, or an attractor bait that is just a ball of attraction.

There are other baits that are better, especially in the summer, in the form of particles which provide some food source, (carbohydrates, limited protein and fats), although sweetcorn is a very good winter bait in limited amounts as it is visual and provides a good source of lysine (an amino acid).

Other baits can be even better in winter, worms, maggots, peperami, bacon grill/spam and the like.

The hard part though is finding the fish. In winter they often prefer to be in particular areas, near snags, natural foods, gravel drop-offs dead weedbeds, or silty areas.

As I say though, it is finding the fish.

When it comes to rods, I would actually go down to one or maybe two rods in winter, float fishing, maybe even for smaller silver fish, with maggots, casters, bread or tiny amounts of corn, and then the carp may possibly move in to where the silvers are feeding (as pike sometimes do).

All the fun of carping. The carpy conundrums:) love it. As said every method bait etc has its place at certain times in the right areas. If you get it right you catch wrong you don't. That's the beauty of it, never 100% and you could be literally seconds from hooking one when you reel in. Without knowledge of it. Why i love catching or trying to catch carp more than any other species. There's more to it than catching like the scenary, the effort, the rewards, the highs, the lows and most of all the enjoyment. When i don't enjoy it ill sell my gear. Never will this happen. Its an addiction :D glad in hooked excuse the pun. Good luck i have been where you are and i am at the minute. These times test an angler and his ability's

Well put SW could not agree more. Salok is bit frustrated which guess we all get at some point. I dont fish in the winter months mainly due to time and light plus have to plan my ventures months in advance. some one said back to basics which brings a memory back to me. as a 16 yr old i ventured on to a caro lake for first time was bemused at the carpers out with their alarms ect there where carp showing in the margins amongst the reeds, so i made up stick float bit sweet corn threw in some freebies with in mins had a fish on played it for about 30 mins never got to see it as befor landing it the hook came out feet from landing net. i look bk now was i being an optamist or was the other anglers respecting spawning carp?! i dont recall if it was spawning time or not. but i do achknoweldge that if that was the case nowa days i would not have put my offering in place to start with. guess what im saying it is like a journey with fishing and we always learning

Well this one particular lake is just proving very difficult, that I've written about in other posts. Still fishing other venues it also appears very difficult to get bites. I may have been spoiled in the past. Lower densities of fish in the water is probably the main factor and their different mentality in this more difficult climate. I've had great success with carp species abroad but not here in the UK.

I have a couple of ideas for the weekend. One will be fishing on the move. Try a spot, after 20 to 30 mins move the bait. The second and maybe try in tandem or the next day will be zig rigs. Its hard to be confident the bait isnt tangled.

Ahhh zigging, something i say year after year im going to try and always fail to. I also read the nash article on carp being mid water alot of the time and this i think is enough for me to at least give zigging a fair go. Maybe try on two rods with adjustable zig float? and have the third rod on a more familiar rig set up. Cant loose.

Ahhh zigging, something i say year after year im going to try and always fail to. I also read the nash article on carp being mid water alot of the time and this i think is enough for me to at least give zigging a fair go. Maybe try on two rods with adjustable zig float? and have the third rod on a more familiar rig set up. Cant loose.

It's always a little bit of a worry that you could be sitting behind a huge tangle, with a bait that can't hook a carp. It also means that unless you spod or rely on some bait deeper down than your hookbait, you can't have freebies right next to your hookbait.

There's not a carp around that could resist a nice big lump of free-lined luncheon meat. You've just got to find him and serve it up.

:wink:

I have tried it. No bites but like you say location is all. I'll get some for the weekend. I really like the idea of a bait straight out of the supermarket. I've seen how some people add things like chilli powder or liquid to it in a plastic bag. No I won't bring the tin on the bank.

I don't fish zigs much and the lake bottom of this place is very stinky. I often wonder if on the 2 metre deep pond the carp are just swimming a metre above my bait and not heading down to feed until the early hours.

Luncheon meat is another bait that attracts with its oily fatty scent,....when its cold it just congeals up and really isn't fantastic.

Best cold weather baits have a water based attractant, like a high attract single pop up, or similar.

A lot of fish may have completely shut up shop feeding, but unflavoured bits of foam, or popups can still arrouse their curiosity ratherbthan their hunt for food..

Also....don't hit your self up for blanking, its not a good time of year, three fish have been out of my lake so far this year.

Luncheon meat is another bait that attracts with its oily fatty scent,....when its cold it just congeals up and really isn't fantastic.

Best cold weather baits have a water based attractant, like a high attract single pop up, or similar.

A lot of fish may have completely shut up shop feeding, but unflavoured bits of foam, or popups can still arrouse their curiosity ratherbthan their hunt for food..

Also....don't hit your self up for blanking, its not a good time of year, three fish have been out of my lake so far this year.

Thanks grangemilky, actually what you just wrote above is what another angler suggested. Not much feeding going on, try just tempting them with a bright and smelly pop up, just to entice a bite. That will be my tactic next weekend. I'll probably go for one rod and be as mobile as possible.

Nash Zig floats..... brilliant imo

GOTTA be better than the fox equivalent .

Tangles r us :cry:

GOTTA be better than the fox equivalent .

Tangles r us :cry:

I've tried fishing boobies a few times in a zig setup, thinking that would work. No luck yet.

2480-Chartreuse_and_Black_Booby.jpg

They are killers for trout!