Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shade

Winter zig rig location question.

Ok, so I fully understand the concept of zig rig fishing, albeit I've not actually done it much.

My query is about location when the fish aren't showing in the colder months.

If you think that the carp may be off the bottom, in the warmer layers, unless you have actually seen evidence of fish in the swim, how do you decide where cast the rig, given that they will not be fully active and swimming all over the place?

I have real mental issues just chucking out a bit of foam into the great blue yonder, and so most of the time just leave the bottom bait rigs out there!

Its no different to bottom bait fishing - observation is always key. I did a couple of 24 hour sessions over Christmas and the fish were moving from one end to the other whenever the wind switched - I knew this from the liners that people were getting. A quick chat showed me that the fish had gone from in front of me to the other end between two guys over night to get themselves to the back of the wind when it switched.

By day they showed up on top in a little sun trap in the slack behind an island. That was zig material - just couldn't reach them. Looking hard enough I spotted the fins popping out.

The birds can give it away too, gulls diving on fizzers and coots etc diving on food sources.

Find the dense weed beds and fish a zig over the top of it, cover and food!

Ok, so I fully understand the concept of zig rig fishing, albeit I've not actually done it much.

My query is about location when the fish aren't showing in the colder months.

If you think that the carp may be off the bottom, in the warmer layers, unless you have actually seen evidence of fish in the swim, how do you decide where cast the rig, given that they will not be fully active and swimming all over the place?

I have real mental issues just chucking out a bit of foam into the great blue yonder, and so most of the time just leave the bottom bait rigs out there!

This is where if you have seen them, or know where they are and can cast to them, that adjustable zigs are handy.

I would use a hooklink or around 60cms, or 2feet for the old :wink::lol: and then zig floats on the hooklink swivel and lead above that. Cast out and when you discover you're needing to move the bait up, allow so much line off the reel.

This is where if you have seen them, or know where they are and can cast to them, that adjustable zigs are handy.

I would use a hooklink or around 60cms, or 2feet for the old :wink::lol: and then zig floats on the hooklink swivel and lead above that. Cast out and when you discover you're needing to move the bait up, allow so much line off the reel.

Have you used the adjustable zig?

I've helped my mate cast and set one of these - tangle nightmare, not for me! and at range you cant see the damn thing.

I've helped my mate cast and set one of these - tangle nightmare, not for me! and at range you cant see the damn thing.

I have used one on Brackens, although I didn't catch :roll::oops:

I used a standard zig kit, although looking at Fox tackle they seem to have changed the adjustable zig kit :?

I also don't use the sighted version that are being marketed, I use the submerged pike paternoster floats (http://www.fishingmegastore.com/fox-paternoster-sunk-float~chap_6850.html), and the lead up the mainline above it, so the float is closest to the hooklink swivel. The free running lead on the lakebed then gives the run indication, and with everything fairly free running and the short hooklink, I found quite tangle free, although as with anything, the longer hooklink the more chance of tangles.

(edited to make link work)

I'd love to zig on a regular basis because i believe ( along with kevin nash ) that the fish spend most of the time NOT on the bottom .... But i use the fox adjustable zig kit and it is like tangle city . An absolute nightmare .

I'd be better off fishing a pop up on a 3 ft hair...

Might be a silly question but why do you need to see it at range? Then you wind down to the lead and pay off line from there to know what depth your at

We were trying to get the float to come upto the top then pulling down a foot at a time until the 3ft zig bait was then just on the top, then pulling it down a foot at a time to your desired depth.

By the time we had spotted the float in all the surface debris the PVA nugget had come off the hook. Saying that half the time the float doesn't come up anyway coz it's tangled.

My mate got so frustrated with it he was ready to go home - soft lad! :D