Average cost of a session

blanksalot

Just wondering what you guys spend on a days/nights fishing.

My lakes vary between £15 -30 a night so £20 is probably average, add fuel, food and bait , which could certainly up the cost using several kg or more.

So for me i'm thinking £50-60 for 24 hrs :shock: probably a lot more in the summer with beer & bbq :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering what you guys spend on a days/nights fishing.

My lakes vary between £15 -30 a night so £20 is probably average, add fuel, food and bait , which could certainly up the cost using several kg or more.

So for me i'm thinking £50-60 for 24 hrs :shock: probably a lot more in the summer with beer & bbq :lol:

Way more than I would like to think. I don't pay by the session, I only hold season tickets....so thats one lump sum that's already out of the way, so I always kind of consider a session to be free...

Reality is, not including depreciation of main tackle, with diesel and food, gas etc its probably more like £30!! Certain times of the year when they are having it, and I'm up for it, I can blow a lot of bait.

Let us also think about what I have to buy the Mrs to keep her happy, and a spomb or two in a tree, Probably more like £100 per 24h!

2 club tickets £80 for year and£50 for 18 months

7 lakes loads rivers canals drains

So just fuel and bait for me sometimes £5 or if carping on lakes £10-25 but can fish on the cheap when I bulk buy

Food can be up to £10 if I'm hungry

Roll on march 1 that's the start of spring for me :P

I have just added up the cost of my membership , what it costs \ 24 hrs , bait , food , cost of a competition i enter , fuel , guess on what I spend on end tackle and bits , EA license .

I get to fish around 8 x 48 hr sessions and it works out at just over £90 / 24 hrs .

And that doesn't include loss of earnings , self employed . :cry:

Know what I wouldn't change a thing . :D

A yearly ticket for me costs £200 a year ( runs out 31 march) or £20 for 24 hrs .

So after the first 5 48 hr sessions it becomes free .

Plus of course about £10 grub & tea/coffee/ milk and £20+ in cigarettes , £5+ in batteries for my DAB radio .

Bait hasnt cost me zilch for a while as my freezer is still half full from when i could afford to buy in bulk .

The moneys now ran out so the yearly ticket wont be getting renewed abd about june/july time i may be looking at going down the particles route which may be an edge in itself , what with most of the lake being filled in with "C" :lol:

Currently, I'm paying £150 for the season on the lake. Then I usually buy my bait in bulk at the start of the spring, this usually lasts me into the winter. Apart from what I've already paid out, I usually spend around £10-£15 on food then, should I need tackle of any kind that's added. As for petrol, it's only around 20mins from my house so I don't really consider it.

I think this is an easier question for people that fish day ticket lakes. People that do more campaign fishing find the overheads are very inconsistent. Some seasons I end up spending far more than I did the season before.

I know my average cost is in terms cheaper with my season ticket for Nazeing than it would be on day tickets locally!

Day ticket locally for 48hours is £20, plus my food £10, and then travel a minimum of £10

Season Ticket is around £90, and is paid up front, so no more worries.

Travel £30 and then food for a 5 day session is around £20 as I would with groceries anyway at home.

As Willi says, what I spend on bait is the difference when fishing longer sessions. I can't afford to take too much weight wise, and the crays soon munch it, yet on shorter sessions locally I can pile a bit in knowing that the fish will get it as opposed to the other wildlife.

I usually have a fair bit of bait in the freezer and bird food is cheap :wink:

This is why I like to go with bulk

vitalin - 10kg around £15 (Can't find the 15kg bags local)

Maize - 20kg sack around £12

Bran - 20kg sack around £9

Halibut pellets - 20kg sack around £39

Add to these a few liquid flavours or things like condensed milk, sugar, cream style corn etc.

Saves a fortune. Use the boilies as a hook bait.

Add to these a few liquid flavours or things like condensed milk, sugar, cream style corn etc.

Honestly, I've been through the whole cheaper baits thing. But my catch rate is never a high as straight boilie. At the right time of year Catcher Baits do £65 for 12kg of boilie. A much better investment in my eyes.

Honestly, I've been through the whole cheaper baits thing. But my catch rate is never a high as straight boilie. At the right time of year Catcher Baits do £65 for 12kg of boilie. A much better investment in my eyes.

Your almost certainley correct mr milky but buying boilies in bulk is all about having the dosh at the right time isnt it ?

I mean , in a financial emergency , we could make do with maize and maize alone and still probably catch fish .

When i could afford it a while back i filled my freezer and copped 35 k of shelf lifes as back up on a cc moore deal .

When they are gone they are gone . I'll personally not be able to come up with that sort of money for the forseeable future so am considering going down the particle route as it can be bought in dribs and drabs as when the dosh is available.

Having said that frosty , i wouldnt be slinging in kilos of particles and fishing boilies as a hookbait .

But thats another thread ...

Your almost certainley correct mr milky but buying boilies in bulk is all about having the dosh at the right time isnt it ?

I mean , in a financial emergency , we could make do with maize and maize alone and still probably catch fish .

When i could afford it a while back i filled my freezer and copped 35 k of shelf lifes as back up on a cc moore deal .

When they are gone they are gone . I'll personally not be able to come up with that sort of money for the forseeable future so am considering going down the particle route as it can be bought in dribs and drabs as when the dosh is available.

Having said that frosty , i wouldnt be slinging in kilos of particles and fishing boilies as a hookbait .

But thats another thread ...

A guy once told me he had a pot next to his chest freezer, and used to charge himself £5 a kilo everytime he took some. When it was all gone, the Pot was emptied and the freezer refilled!

I love the idea, but I would just steal from myself!

If I venture Staffordshire way to a few places I like then I'm looking at prob £60/£70 for a 24hr session when taking ticket,bait,petrol,food,cigs and few Guinness into consideration ......

My local club water is £30 for the year and very local so that prob breaks down to £25-£30 a session..... Problem is there's only a couple of fish that go over the 20lb mark but for £30 a year I can't grumble.... And there good looking fish aswell :wink:

Considering your looking at £42 for a footy ticket then I think fishing is quite reasonable priced .....

If I venture Staffordshire way to a few places I like then I'm looking at prob £60/£70 for a 24hr session when taking ticket,bait,petrol,food,cigs and few Guinness into consideration ......

My local club water is £30 for the year and very local so that prob breaks down to £25-£30 a session..... Problem is there's only a couple of fish that go over the 20lb mark but for £30 a year I can't grumble.... And there good looking fish aswell :wink:

Considering your looking at £42 for a footy ticket then I think fishing is quite reasonable priced .....

I moaned about about paying £210 for one season ticket....and was quickly pointed out the price of golf. Apparently the people I spoke to pay £700 a year for a fairly mediocre course! And there are joining fees and all sorts of other crap. Sod paying that much to hit a ball with a stick, I would rather pay to sit in a soggy field next to some fishing rods!

I moaned about about paying £210 for one season ticket....and was quickly pointed out the price of golf. Apparently the people I spoke to pay £700 a year for a fairly mediocre course! And there are joining fees and all sorts of other poo. Sod paying that much to hit a ball with a stick, I would rather pay to sit in a soggy field next to some fishing rods!

I think fishing can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

But when you consider you get 12/24hrs for your day ticket money it's normally £1-£1.50 an hr ..... Buttons in today's world ....

Prefer not to think about costs coz it's an expensive hobby for sure.

I bet my 24 hour sessions cost 20-25 quid when you break down the syndi fees.

Then 10-15 quid to get there and back, 10 quid min on food, 100 plus a month on bait.

Between sessions you have those little trips to the tackle shop for PVA refills, mandatory leads and whatever else takes your fancy.

Add it all up silly money. Then your upgrading your tackle bit by bit through the year (£840 so far) - I'll stop now - gotta ring debt line :D

Prefer not to think about costs coz it's an expensive hobby for sure.

I bet my 24 hour sessions cost 20-25 quid when you break down the syndi fees.

Then 10-15 quid to get there and back, 10 quid min on food, 100 plus a month on bait.

Between sessions you have those little trips to the tackle shop for PVA refills, mandatory leads and whatever else takes your fancy.

Add it all up silly money. Then your upgrading your tackle bit by bit through the year (£840 so far) - I'll stop now - gotta ring debt line :D

You can't take it with you kev, get out there and enjoy it while you can.

I was keeping the families van gogh in my safe to pass on to the kids,

got £50 for it at cash converters and spent it on bait :lol::lol:

You can't take it with you kev, get out there and enjoy it while you can.

I was keeping the families van gogh in my safe to pass on to the kids,

got £50 for it at cash converters and spent it on bait :lol::lol:

Indeed mate enjoy what you love doing, you only get one life as carpcatcher says. A saying I'm using all the time since turning 40 last year.

I'm cutting out the cigs since working out that I could do with the extra boilies more. So thanks boilies!

Getting excited for spring now, great to start the hunt and not so much time internet shopping for new tackle - winter boredom is bad! :D

I have spent the last 2-3 months stocking up for my first session of the year on 1st April (33 days away 792 hours away) not that im counting!!!!

I have spent about £350 on tackle and bait so this first one works out expensive but that ties me over for the year, i am also going to start rolling my own boilies so theres the cost of bait out of the window......

Probarbly cost me about £60 a time for 48 hours this season, so if you have time to make your own baits and stock up on tackle well in advance its only tickets and fuel to pay for.

Happy days

i am also going to start rolling my own boilies so theres the cost of bait out of the window......

How you work that out? Cost of making your own is more than it is from a decent bait company.

As soon as I got rid of my chickens and no longer got free eggs - it proved cheaper to get them rolled at the factory and no time wasted on my part anymore.

Unless your going to make a cheap mix that puts everyone else ahead of you?

i am also going to start rolling my own boilies so theres the cost of bait out of the window......

How you work that out? Cost of making your own is more than it is from a decent bait company.

As soon as I got rid of my chickens and no longer got free eggs - it proved cheaper to get them rolled at the factory and no time wasted on my part anymore.

Unless your going to make a cheap mix that puts everyone else ahead of you?

Never knew you was a chicken man kev ....

Its something we've (well SHE :? ) just ventured into :roll:

I know fishing worked out expensive compared to my American Football!

American football cost me around £200 year, yet fishing is whole lot more than that, with the little bits and pieces, PVA and the like that need topping up.

I had forgotten the cost of PVA during a session at Brackens, when due to the 'no free bait to be put in except attached to PVA' I would use around £20 worth a week.

Kev's point about bait making being quite expensive, I found that buying a ready made base mix, then the additional bits and pieces was prohibitive, as was buying ingredients and rolling my own. It may have worked out cheaper long term, but I have no need to buy a whole sack of some ingredients when I only use small amounts in a mix.

I moaned about about paying £210 for one season ticket....and was quickly pointed out the price of golf. Apparently the people I spoke to pay £700 a year for a fairly mediocre course! And there are joining fees and all sorts of other poo. Sod paying that much to hit a ball with a stick, I would rather pay to sit in a soggy field next to some fishing rods!

I think fishing can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

But when you consider you get 12/24hrs for your day ticket money it's normally £1-£1.50 an hr ..... Buttons in today's world ....

Stevey's contribution has been the top post on this thread .

Day ticket prices/membership fees aside , fishing costs what you want it to cost .

As i mentioned earlier , a sack of maize and you are sorted .

It would make your fishing more difficult maybe , but possible nevertheless ...

I dont see how making your own boilies from scratch can possibly be cheaper than buying 'em unless you are rolling a crap mix as per what kev said....