Looking good for a bite

Mufty , if its the lake im on about and its next to those newish flats then i have a feeling i painted em !

And nicked a few mid double carp off the top in me lunch hour too ..

They used to cruise around on the surface and my mate would stand on top of the building and direct me to the biggest ones

was it the one thats very close to bellmarsh?

38 and eaglesfield, grew up in plumstead myself, apparently birchmere suffered a big kill a couple of years ago and lost all the big girls, ive seen some absolute monsters in southmere but only fished ita couple of times as a kid, think its a sydi now.

i take it you moved away from the area.

mufty

Yeah, Southmere is a syndi now. Absolute shame; it was a great day ticket venue.

There was a bad case of blue-green algae in Southmere in 2012 where a lot of fish died as well.

I've moved out, but not too far. I'm a stones throw from Darenth Lakes, but I still have friends and family in AbbeyWood.

im in abbeywood myself now, do you fish darenth mate?, i fished long lake for a season a few years back , i hooked into the big cat one day on floating crust, i swear there was smoke coming off my reels :D , darenth like a lot of lakes round this way have got some cracking fish in , its just a shame there not looked after properly.

mufty

Mufty , if its the lake im on about and its next to those newish flats then i have a feeling i painted em !

They used to cruise around on the surface and my mate would stand on top of the building and direct me to the biggest ones

No mate i remember going past bellmarsh nick every morning in my mates van and it was a few minutes further on from there .

I worked on 2 or 3 different sites around that time over thamesmead and abbey wood way and there were quite a few lakes around . Couple of huge ones too .

Must say , i was surprised at the time . Last place i expected to find fishing lakes . Always gave me something to pass time during tea breaks , carp spotting beats toshing every time ...

No mate i remember going past bellmarsh nick every morning in my mates van and it was a few minutes further on from there .

I worked on 2 or 3 different sites around that time over thamesmead and abbey wood way and there were quite a few lakes around . Couple of huge ones too .

Must say , i was surprised at the time . Last place i expected to find fishing lakes . Always gave me something to pass time during tea breaks , carp spotting beats toshing every time ...

must be the swimming pool lake mate, there are some lovely carp in the the lakes in thamesmead, the one you commented on last week came from gallions lake, the only trouble is the way people treat them,there is a motobike that has been dumped in gallions as well as a rolled up carpet, the litter down the canals in the summer is just awful and then you have to contend with the apex predator that is sweeping lakes in southern england, they may look all warm and cuddly but the eastern european poses a serios threat to the fish stocks :shock::lol:

mufty

This is the place mufty , the buildings i painted are on the bottom right of the picture and if memory serves there is some sort of leisure centre there as well ?

Saw some lovely carp cruising about in there mate and i was there every day for 4 months ...

A49B98F1-5F0A-4C3A-96E2-D41B6B085990_zpsxq7kw7ck.png

This is the place mufty , the buildings i painted are on the bottom right of the picture and if memory serves there is some sort of leisure centre there as well ?

Saw some lovely carp cruising about in there mate and i was there every day for 4 months ...

A49B98F1-5F0A-4C3A-96E2-D41B6B085990_zpsxq7kw7ck.png

thats the swimming pool lake mate, there are some big old cats in there as well,im gonna have at least a day down there this week.

mufty

I've moved out, but not too far. I'm a stones throw from Darenth Lakes, but I still have friends and family in AbbeyWood.

im in abbeywood myself now, do you fish darenth mate?, i fished long lake for a season a few years back , i hooked into the big cat one day on floating crust, i swear there was smoke coming off my reels :D , darenth like a lot of lakes round this way have got some cracking fish in , its just a shame there not looked after properly.

mufty

No mate, I haven't fished Darenth in years.

Extremely poorly run and bad attitude from the woman in the cafe.

I decided to give it another try last summer. There are signs everywhere stating no fishing before you pay. Don't mind that in the slightest, but everything was locked up and no-one turned up in the half hour I waited.

I gave it up as a bad idea and went to my local club water instead.

As you say, it's such a shame because there are some fantastic fish in there, but it's a shadow of its former self.

mufty

No mate, I haven't fished Darenth in years.

Extremely poorly run and bad attitude from the woman in the cafe.

I decided to give it another try last summer. There are signs everywhere stating no fishing before you pay. Don't mind that in the slightest, but everything was locked up and no-one turned up in the half hour I waited.

I gave it up as a bad idea and went to my local club water instead.

As you say, it's such a shame because there are some fantastic fish in there, but it's a shadow of its former self.

haha the lovely old lady in the cafe, she certainly could go on a course to learn people skills.

have you ever fished the glades in sidcup mate?, looks a nice little place for £40 a year.

mufty

Depending on what part of the country you are the weather looks really good for a bite or two

In my neck of the woods come thurs/fri daytime temps could be hitting 14 degrees with 5 overnight and a lovely south south/west wind ....

I've still got 2 days hols to take before the end of March so it looks like my week end is going to be playing good hubby to the mrs for some brownie points :roll::lol:

Happy wife,happy life ...... :lol:

Well it looks like the weathermen got it right last week :shock::lol:

Hasn't changed from what I got last Saturday bar dropping a degree or so overnight but could get up too 15 on Saturday afternoon .... Who said it was grim oop north !!!! :lol:

Roll on Friday morning I can't wait ..... 8)

Went out with my daughter early yesterday morning. Bit frosty to say the least, but turned out to be a gloriously sunny day.

Neither of us had a bite but as the sun got up, the biggest carp in the lake started sunning themselves on top or, as in the 3rd picture, swimming under the rod tips!! No interest at all in feeding.

1904228_10203274258199492_1199303084_n_zps1d0f0aa6.jpg

1896744_10203274618728505_204445132_n_zpsf28fecde.jpg

999127_10203275599873033_1474610484_n_zps92ad25fb.jpg

1947349_10203274877134965_178043796_n_zps6f89486f.jpg

Well I got the day off work,Friday and after a few setbacks finally got down the marshes for dinnertime.

As I've said before it's a pretty exposed place so I'm use to the wind down there but as I got out of the motor I didn't expect the wind to hit me so hard.... It was bad :(

But hey ho I had the place to myself and was gagging to wet a line.

I'd normally get the rods out 1st but looking on the horizon there looked like a few threatening clouds coming over so decided on bivvy 1st..... And that took me nearly an hour :shock::lol: the wind really was that bad :?

By 2.30 I had both rods out and 1/4 kilo spread out over each rod.

A couple of fish came out last week so I was confident that the fish were ready to come on the feed.

One of the bailiffs turned up for the night,the wind dropped and it was beer and curry time :lol:

At 10ish Dave had a 17.5 mirror so my confidence grew knowing there was fish on the feed. Before we turned in for the night he kindly reminded me that I was on a hat-trick of blanks :roll: but I was well happy with how I was fishing and felt a fish was round the corner.

By midnight it was time to hit the sack,no wind and a clear night had our mats/bivvys frosting over nicely :roll:

I sat up reading and listening to some tunes till about 2ish listening to the wind start up again and get stronger and stronger :?

Next thing I knew my receiver is screaming,it's 3.30am and my bivvy was getting blown everywhere..... The wind had changed direction and was blasting straight at me .... And on the damp ground my bivvy pegs was struggling to stay in the ground :?

After a 5 min fight I'd netted my 1st carp of the year 8)

With the weather so bad I slipped the fish into my retaining sling and set about the job of trying to keep my bivvy on terra-firma

The next 3 hrs was spent clinging on and trying to weigh the side down ..... It really was gusting bad and sleep was a no no

It got to 6 and started to get light so a move around of the bivvy a bit seen it become more secure at last .... I was shattered.... Then my rod ripped off :roll::lol::lol:

After a plodding fight I had it in the net and Dave helped me sort a few pics

My normally fishing buddy couldn't make it and he's the photographer out of the both of us so I only had my phone pics sorry

A9EBD432-9CDA-4199-A624-3A6034872F8D.png

The 1st fish 11,7

90315570-6B74-4F43-805E-443800FC3BA3.png

2nd fish 14,4

Dave had to be at work for 9 so I gave him a hand packing a few bits away and said our goodbyes,I was shattered but perked up a bit after a few brews bacon,sausage,black pud and egg :wink::lol:

It was now 10 and I slept for a couple of hours. After a brew I decided to recast and put a bit more bait out,I was going to stay till Sunday morning but after having a few and still knackered I decided to fish till last light n go home for a bath and a Guinness with the mrs ..... Much more appealing than the forcast windy night ahead of me :shock:

Had a little gab with another angler that turned up and then decided to chill for the rest of the day. Just when I thought my day couldn't get any better (I was listening to Arsenal knock Everton out of the cup) 8)8) the left hand rod ripped off about 2ish and after a little scrap I'd had my 3rd fish out

261F6928-69FA-4374-B779-D22760A0BEB0.png

3rd fish 11,2

After the footy finished I started on a slow pack down and called it a day at 5

I'd had my 1st fish of the year but the session as a whole just felt like one big battle :roll::lol::lol: we must be mad us anglers :roll::lol:

A plan b bottom bait tipped with fake corn on a fang twister nabbed the bigger fish,while a snowman with a pink pop up on a similar set-up bagged the other 2

I was still aching Sunday morning taking the kids the park..... In lovely sunshine .... And NO wind :roll::roll::lol:

Three great looking fish.

The common is especially lovely 8)

But that is seriously open, I'm not surprised the wind gave you a battering :shock:

It's the only setback about the place .... How open and barren it is ..... It's on the Mersey estuary and basically the 1 st thing that gets hit with the wind coming off the welsh mountains is us :shock:

Lovely wildlife place in the summer ..... Brutal in the winter :?

Been there since the 1890,s but they are basically holes in the ground :?

Oh and the chemical plant in the background is where I work ..... That's another setback :?:cry::cry::lol:

• 3 weeks later...