Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jontain

Entirely new to fishing...

Hi all,

Hope you are well, I thought I would pop in and say hi. So hi! I have been fishing since November (only carp so far, had one other species on but it got off so no idea what it was), I know... great time of year to start right?

Still I have had a absolute blast so far and really enjoying the learning process/bettering my technique, no idea of my personal best yet (no scales at the moment) but I have had some fairly decent doubles. I am hoping that this year I will be able to get my first 20!

I have been fishing local day ticket/runs waters around me, trying to get my head around all the different setups, the different rules on lakes and trying to improve my casting technique etc. All the stuff I image most new guys go through learning, my face when I walked into my first tackle shop must have been a picture! Working out the difference between fashion products and function products was the first challenge!

Now I realise there is a separate forum for venues but I will ask this in here first before opening more threads:-

I enjoy my days fishing when the lake is at its least busy, I am lucky in the sense that few people seem to come out in winter so have had my local to myself a couple of times. However I am very aware that with spring and summer coming the day ticket lakes that I have cut my teeth on will start filling up more than I am comfortable with.

So can anyone recommend any decent lakes to get onto in the Cambridgeshire area (I am not sure of the difference between a club/syndicate lake however with the lower numbers these do sound attractive to me); I have seen the thread with a good list of lakes however I am more looking for some advice on a decent lake to move onto from a small runs water (fish all single to mid/high doubles but no 20s that I know of) to catch my first 20.

Or would you say I should stick to day ticket waters for my first season? I just believe being on a quieter bank with some trickier fish will give me more chance to focus on my fishing and better my skills as an angler.

Onto the second question, again I am sure this would be better placed in a separate forum section but will try in here for now:-

What would you guys suggest as a hookbait on waters that have a boilie ban? (I don't want to go into the merits or issues with boilies themselves as from what I have read this just opens up a big can of worms... so just suggestions of alternative hook baits please) I am at a bit of a loss with these waters that do not allow boilies as I have to admit boilies have been the main focus on my hookbaits while I have been learning.

Thanks for all replies, any information is always appreciated.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum. and such a lot of questions, but fair play for asking. I am by no means an expert and you will probably get better advice off a more experienced carper than me, Going on a syndic lake first personally I would advise against it I would do all your learning on day ticket water as there is more likely to be someone there to lend a hand if you do hook the big one, a big carp can seriously play up when he sees the net and netting alone I think is a skill in itself and takes practice.

As for alternatives to boilies........ the worlds your oyster there mate, Plastic imitation bait. corn, maize, chick peas, luncheon meat, worm, maggots. that's just a few, there are literally hundreds of alternatives its about finding out what they want on whatever venue you are on.

As for venues someone will no doubt be able to advise you : :wink:

Hello jon welcome to the forum .

By the sound of your first post you seem to have your head screwed on which , believe me , will stand you in good stead in this game.

I dont know how old you are , and the last thing i want to do is sound patronising but there is a saying .

Dont run before you can walk .

Learn your trade on the day ticket and runs waters and get invaluable experience there.

I've been carping for about 5 or 6 years and i'm learning all the time ( even though i was fishing for 35 years before THAT ) .

Its said that there is no substitute for being out on the bank & catchin' 'em but you will learn bundles on this forum . Its the best forum by a mile .

Read , ask , get involved , dont be afraid to ask silly questions cos we ALL do .

:lol: you will learn loads .

And dont get caught up in the numbers game , the bigguns will come .

I would look for a nice club water. Syndicate waters have limited tickets, and can be very clicky as an inexperienced angler, or even experienced anglers alike, unfortunately you might come up against some difficult people.

Club waters generally have members who have been members since before time began, and are more willing to help you on the bank. Club water are also more likely to ban troublesome members, meaning the banks theoretically will have a better class of angler.

Day ticket waters are businesses, unlike syndicates and clubs, they are trying to make money, be it honestly, or otherwise. Day ticket waters are more likely to have a higher ratio of jobsworths to nice anglers!

""I am more looking for some advice on a decent lake to move onto from a small runs water (fish all single to mid/high doubles but no 20s that I know of) to catch my first 20. ""

The more you catch on this runs water the more you can try different things ,the more you will learn.

Sitting behind rods for hours/days on end not catching will make learning a very long process .

It realy is not alll about the weight of a fish, but more the pleasure in catching .

Never be put off by the ""Clique "" they are not worth your time and are on very nearly every venue.

Hi Jon, welcome to this cracking forum. I'm impressed by your first post, it's lucid and intelligent.

I agree with Milky and Dal in that a club water would be your best bet for a first serious carp campaign, for the reasons given.

Enjoy your fishing. :wink:

Ian

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated!

Re newmarket: I am 24 mate, learning every minute when I am on the bank. I do have a mate who introduced me and helped me get off the ground with my fishing but what I have learned from fishing solo has been so valuable.

Re dayvid: Oh don't get me wrong, the excitement from every take is awesome. Every carp I land I will check over and get a picture, big or small they all make it worth it at the end of the day. Although having said that the bigger ones I have landed so far have offered up some great battles that I have learnt an awful lot from. Then again the smaller ones do seem to test how good a hook hold you have!

Going from most of the replies I will start doing some research into some local club lakes, any nods in the right direction from you knowledgable folk is very welcome.

Welcome to Carp.com

My advice is to enjoy your fishing, learn what you can, and don't think that a big fish makes you a good angler :wink:

Just because you can catch fish above 20lbs (maybe), it doesn't mean you are the best. It may be that you can afford to fish waters with 20's in, when the reality is that there are probably more fish below that than above it.

In fact I would say, enjoy your fishing, but don't think that carp fishing is the be all and end all. There are many other species, and learning and enjoying them will likely help in your carp fishing as well! In fact if you can stalk chub from a fast flowing river, then you will likely be able to stalk carp. The chub is far harder, and probably smaller :wink::!:

If you can catch tench, then your fishing is effective as tench are far more suspicious than carp, and likely smaller.

In other words it is only the size of carp that makes them an anglers dream, yet the truth is that are probably the easiest species to catch, the other species are far harder.

So to get the best from them, I would join a local club that has a good mix of species and waters

I'll reply on this:

It is not just a vitamin deficiency, it it a total lack of vitamin E and as such are probably one of the worst baits to use in carp fishing.

Peanuts are addictive, and carp search them out, they cause severe lack of condition to the fish, which if no other food is available (and if there is when carp get totally addicted to them) will cause fish deaths, even if properly prepared.

If you do decide to use them, then the only amount you will need is about 4/5 peanuts around your hookbait. Do not be tempted to fish anymore, and do NOT prebait with them.

The best way to fish them is as hookbait only, over a bed of other particles.

Yeah I have heard alot of things about the use/overuse of any nuts (tigers and the like) being a bad thing. Possibly something to consider for a hookbait but obviously not for any kind of baiting. Maybe adding a few crushed up peanuts to a stick mix could give the desired effect of bringing the carp in without having to actually feed them many nuts at all?

For me it is really the hookbait I struggle on when there is a boilie ban as a boilie gives such an easy and neat presentation, I have made a few balanced hookbaits from large pellets and some plastic corn which was actually the downfall of my largest fish to date but I wasnt very confident in the presentation after casting as the pellet would move around alot on the hair.

I have started shooting off some emails to a few clubs/syndicates to try and get a feel for what would be best. Getting some very helpful replies from some much more knowledgeable folk than myself! Any one got any experience at Earith Lakes or Belvoir Lakes?

Really keen to get onto a club or syndicate now as my nice quiet winter runs water was absolutely mobbed with match fishermen, keep nets an' all, on sunday just gone. Had me quite disappointed as I was watching them catch all day on some of my favoured swims and I barley had any knocks all day. They either had a much more appealing bait than i did or the fish where just not on the bottom all day. Any way either it was just because it was the first nice day of spring or that place is going to be so busy through summer than I will struggle to get any real focus on my fishing!

Carpmachine and I have had an exchange of Pm's on this, and as I don't have anything to hide, I'll print most of my reply to him, minus the insults :lol::wink: : (I am joking about the insults)

The peanut one is down to an enzyme inhibitor that prevents utilisation of the protein and vitamin E. I know that Tim Paisley's Birch Grove had issues with peanuts, fish deaths, loss of condition until they were banned, and I had problems with fish condition on Taverham Mills with high quantities of peanuts being used, and again, a ban was put in place

Tigers also have an enzyme inhibitor, and yes lack of preparation makes them even more dangerous.

Like you say many bans are put in place to stop the 'catchers' as the hemp on the Thames was. It dominated matches, and anglers not catching without it put forward all sorts of theories, including addiction.

I agree with you totally in moderation, which is why I tried to temper my post with the recommendation to use small amount of peanuts over particles or ground bait, where I still think they are very successful.

When ground peanuts are used in the groundbait, or crushed nuts as part of the particle feed, they don't seem to be so addictive, maybe because the fish are actually eating a mix of foods. Add to that, heat treated peanut meal is often used as a groundbait ingredient in many of the proprietary groundbaits.

Ahh ok, good info, thanks for that.

Through seraching I have noticed you have posted up some details on Earith Lakes salokcinnodrog, any info you can give on this syndicate/lakes? Friendly bunch? Does it get overly busy? Have shot an email off through the website but am still waiting on a reply.

As I'm going to have to sort out the venue in my head to give a run down, here are a couple of threads you may find useful in the meantime:

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24059&highlight=virginia+lake

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46616&highlight=virginia+lake

probably get this censored Jon, but I suggest you google Steve Whitby

TheCarpcatcher :wink:

A member on here, shame he hasn't posted in a while. He is the YouTube phenomenon doing loads of carp fishing stuff around Cambridgeshire :!:

sTEVE ,DONT CATCH MUCH BUT HE WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO COOK A GOOD CURRY, GREAT ENTERTAINMENT.

You got your Caps Lock button on, I presume in error (re; the small 's' at the start), you mind turning it off please :wink:

I may have been fishing for a long time, but I am afraid, with computers

limitations are all to obvious.I spent my youth out doors, not playing computer games, sorry Nick.

I saw it was an accident, done it myself, although usually manage to stop myself before posting when I notice. Doesn't help if the light for the Caps lock is not near the Caps lock button

Strangely enough when I print (by hand) I nearly always print in capitals myself.

Sorry if I seemed a bit short, that wasn't my intention, just to get you to look at your keyboard and put it right :wink::D

Hi jon, If i can give one bit of advice, i would say "avoid the syndicate route " at least until you have mastered a few techniques and got all the right kit around you.

join a good club first, most clubs have a web site so they are fairly easy to sort thru. look at the club galleries to see the sort of catches they get ( they sometimes have a section on the bait used to catch that particular MONSTER too lol)

i myself took some bad advice and joined a syndicate with a more experienced mate in my first year of 'carping', it wasn't long before i had been reported for using an undersized landing net, 36" instead of 40" also given a warning by another jobsworth about the size of my unhooking mat, again 36". i now have a 5ft 'doggy bath' type. either one of these could have been a quiet word to put me right but the people involved decided to show their superiority with a put down, this sort of thing can demoralise a "noob" but most clubs have the type of client that will put you right with a bit of sound advice.

as for alternatives to boilies, most pulses will do the trick. i have found chick peas to be a good alternative, especialy when glugged in a bait oil like hemp oil, strawberry, halibut, tigernut oil they are about the same size as a boilie too.

gonna wrap up now with a "welcome to our world" and best wishes for the future :wink:

Thanks for the replies.

I really do need to start trying some other hook baits than boilies, I have some chick peas ready to try!

Recently I have joined a few small club waters, finding them a harder fish that the runs waters I was fishing through winter but have been appreciating the challenge of a lower stock water.

In regards to the syndicates most have been pretty helpful with information but suggest as you guys do that another year fishing some club lakes and day tickets should get me up to speed. I did think ahead when buying a lot of my gear so I went for a 42in net etc to future proof, albeit it looks a bit strange landing singles and low doubles in such a large net! Still I wanted to be sure that I wasn't buying gear that I would just have to replace not to far down the line.

I do have one syndicate that a mate is in charge of running so he was going to show me around but would have to decide on:-

A) If my rods and gear etc would be up to the job should I hook one of the larger fish (as mentioned)

B) If I can afford/justify the cost

C) If it is a friendly atmosphere or as mentioned if it would be a case of more experienced members looking down on my lack of experience rather than wanting to lend a hand or a bit of friendly advice!

I have joined onto a couple of small club waters so far:-

Ewart Lake - Cambourne - Nice little park lake, friendly bunch that run it. Very shallow margins and only about 5-6ft deep max in the middle. No luck on this lake as of yet but the last two times I have been there the carp have been jumping and crashing (making me think that the warm weather has brought this shallow lake on to spawning already)

Thriplow Pit - Thriplow - Run by Royston Club, again seems a friendly water. The lake is currently much higher than usual, making it really quite deep, would guess between 10-15ft. Only one catch from it so far which was on a chod, flew off last minute whilst I was packing up my gear. Only one I have had from it so far, I am thinking here that the deeper water means that the fish are still not as active as the warmer weather wont have quite warmed the lake through?

Also had an afternoon down Lenton Lakes just near Brampton? Fished lake one from about 12:30 till dark and again had one on the chod, at about 14:30, but did notice even on a week day the lake started to get very busy towards the end of the day (friday filling up for the weekend) so it seemed like a very pressured lake, a young local said I did well to get on as a lot of people blank there. Lake two is the club lake and looked very interesting, pretty wild and unkempt but one that I will defiantly have to get a better look round.

And that has been my last month or so of fishing, hopefully have some more and join onto some more lakes! Thanks again for all your replies! Here is a pic of my last minute carp from Thriplow, lovely gold colour!

579231_10154025460790045_157543684_n.jpg

I honestly don't know what is the best bit about the post above, the story that goes within the post or the fish at the end.

It seems to me you are enjoying yourself, setting challenges and sensible targets, and from the pic catching some lovely looking fish.

Also the way you are looking to learn.

Top Man