Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
grangemilky

It's that time of the year! Discussion.

Rather than clog up another thread, thought I would carry on here....

rod licence, worst value for money item you can get in fishing

Really? For what reasons?

£27 a year to use 2 rods is good value I think.

Let me just wind my calculator up........

£27 a year or

£2:25 a month or

£0:51p per week or

£0:07p per day.

I for one never resent having to buy a (2!!!!) lisences. You have to do it, so I do. I used to fish a drain, and the EA were constantly dredging and pulling weed from it, this was a few years back mind, but I certainly saw my money being spent.

These days I, and probably most of you fish private waters, where the EA are not involved, and don't do anything we see, so I understand why people get angry about it.

Has anyone ever even had their lisence checked?

You can't buy a gun, or even rent a car without getting your lisence checked, so why can a fishery sell you a ticket?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I bought my season ticket yesterday.

I showed the bloke my 2014/15 EA licence and all he said was, 'I don't need to see that'. In fact he was more interested in what fish was on it !

If I was the owner of a fishery I would demand to see respective licences before issuing day/season tickets.

I seem to get regularly checked by the local bailiff, so much so that he doesn't really look at my licence, but spends more time chatting.

I seem to think that bailiff checks are higher in areas with less anglers buying licences, maybe more non purchasing anglers being caught? and also in areas where poaching has gone on regularly.

In response to the above about poaching, you have to put forward as well. That means ringing the Environment Agency if you see poaching in your area, or even fishing out of season on the rivers:

0800 80 70 60

Some fisheries want to check licences, and those that do, I am glad. I think all fisheries should do it. That would save the EA money as they would be having voluntary bailiffs around. We can moan as much as we like about lack of support for anglers, but like everything at the moment, budgets are tight, short staffed, and it is not just fisheries, rivers and lakes that the EA now have to answer for; flooding, building in flood plains all seem to come under Environment Agency remit.

Like Grange says, I can remember the days of having to buy individual licences, and I would happily go back to that, for each rod, then I would buy what I needed rather than having to buy 2 2 rod licences to cover 3 rods, but it would end up losing money as match anglers who only fish 1 rod would buy 1 licence at (say) £14 as opposed to 1 at £27.

I've never been asked. That's a lie, I was asked one about 10 years ago, I didn't have it on me, so he reminded me to bring it next time.

My dad once got checked, whilst fishing a very remote fen drain, around a mile and a half from his car, which was miles from civilisation! No idea where the bloke came from!

I buy four, two each for me and my lad, can't remember the last time either of us used three rods though.

Value for money, yes i'd say so when you look at the price breakdown .

Last time i was asked to produce, 11-12 years ago :shock:

Digressing slightly a local guy was recently fined £200 + for leaving his mate in charge of his rods whilst he went to the loo :shock:

My licence gets checked 3 or 4 times a year , every year .

In fact i've had my licence checked 3 times in 3 days one year , by the same EA bloke ....i wanted to strangle him on day 3 :lol:

I'm satisfied that the EA do their job .

Would be nice though to hear that the rivers dont flood into fisheries again but i dont really know whose job that is .

Oh and death to otters And that SHOULD be EA business if its not now :lol:

Been fishing six years, only been asked for my licence once, and that was by a campsite owner who had a fishing lake onsite. He said he checks everyone in case the EA come onsite.

All day ticket waters should ask for licences before allowing people to fish, but how many fishery websites say "set up in your swim and fish, the bailiff with be around to collect your fee during the day" or something similar. Honesty boxes at some lakes? It's these types of fisheries the EA should be spending their money on, bringing them into line which will help the EA in the long run.

I try and get a few 48 hour trips too linear each year and have been checked a few times their, ive also been checked on the river severn ive got no problem buying a license 27 quid for a year is a bargain and if you havent got one ul be looking over your sholder all day wich is no good, the people who dont buy them are the morons who arent real anglers just scum who want everything for free.

In all my years of fishing I have never been asked to show my licence.

Fishing my club waters, I have twice been asked to show my membership booklet by bailiffs. Neither of them asked to see my licence. It wouldn't have taken them much longer to add "and your licence please" on to the end of "Can I see your membership booklet" would it.

:cry::cry:

If i ran a commercial fishery ,why would i want to see peoples EA Licences, i would be wanting them to PAY for a days fishing not be turning them away for not having a licence.

Lets try and keep people in JOBs and let the EA police their licences.

Hell next youll be asking we show our drivers licence and insurance when we next fill up with fuel.

I have not been checked in well over 15 years carp fishing but over the last 2 years match fishing , i have probably been checked 7/8 times ,

I was told it was all about numbers

If i ran a commercial fishery ,why would i want to see peoples EA Licences, i would be wanting them to PAY for a days fishing not be turning them away for not having a licence.

So you would allow them to fish even if they didn't have a licence???

Lets try and keep people in JOBs and let the EA police their licences.

Hell next youll be asking we show our drivers licence and insurance when we next fill up with fuel.

I have not been checked in well over 15 years carp fishing but over the last 2 years match fishing , i have probably been checked 7/8 times ,

I was told it was all about numbers

If everyone was checked then no one could get away with it why should people be able to fish if they have no license

And with regards to the petrol comment , good idea . Would go along way to stopping people driving illegally .

So you would allow them to fish even if they didn't have a licence???

Exactly my point from an earlier post on this subject, some fisheries are just in it for the money, they don't care whether you have a licence of not.

I seem to remember reading (Although I don't know where, so I could be woefully wrong) that the only person that you have to shows your licence to is an EA bailiff (Or an officer of the law).

While it may be a good idea for fishery owner / local bailiff (And, I agree with Dayvid, no commercial fishery owner really cares if you have your licence so long as they have your cash) to check your licence. I don't think that they are legally allowed to.

I seem to remember reading (Although I don't know where, so I could be woefully wrong) that the only person that you have to shows your licence to is an EA bailiff (Or an officer of the law).

While it may be a good idea for fishery owner / local bailiff (And, I agree with Dayvid, no commercial fishery owner really cares if you have your licence so long as they have your cash) to check your licence. I don't think that they are legally allowed to.

It used to be any other licence carrying angler, but was changed to officer of the law and the EA bailiff. While I agree they may not be entitled to, I would be happy if they could, and think the checking that owners or lake bailiffs do on various day ticket lakes would reduce a lot of people not carrying a licence.

This is where I think that all fisheries should be licenced, and the ticket seller/owner/bailiff, be a given voluntary EA bailiff rights.

It used to be any other licence carrying angler, but was changed to officer of the law and the EA bailiff. While I agree they may not be entitled to, I would be happy if they could, and think the checking that owners or lake bailiffs do on various day ticket lakes would reduce a lot of people not carrying a licence.

This is where I think that all fisheries should be licenced, and the ticket seller/owner/bailiff, be a given voluntary EA bailiff rights.

Or fine the fishery for having non-license holders fishing their waters , harsh but it'll cut down on people who think, because they've not been checked in last couple of years, that they don't need one

I agree 100%.

I'll C&P a couple of posts from the 'Latest purchases' thread:

luke_bristol

Posted: 12th Mar 2014 19:40 Post subject:

£27 a year or

As for my latest purchase, I've just renewed my lake membership but upgraded to a day & night ticket rather than just days.

£27 a year or

As for my latest purchase, I've just renewed my lake membership but upgraded to a day & night ticket rather than just days.

I imagine 7p is about how much of it goes towards anglers!

£27 a year or

I imagine 7p is about how much of it goes towards anglers!

The EA fish farms and the restocking they do up and down the country are worth the licence fee alone in my opinion

They are far from perfect (Aren't we all :wink: ) but they are a benefit to angling.

Sorry if that is awkward to read, but I figured the views spread would be valid on this thread

In over 20yrs fishing, ive only seen an EA baillif once, where he tried to do me for using 3rods on one licence - the 3rd rod was a marker rod!! When i called the EA to report a chemical spill, they did prosecute the company responsible and restock the stream.

:)