Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
theobeeus

Boilies aint for me any more

These days in my carp fishing I find myself carrying a bag of unusual naturals and various pellets rather than worrying at all about expensive boilies. 

I do much better on pellets, maybe that is just the lake I fish, but it is very true. Also I never 'fill it in' any more, just top the swim up with a few handfuls of pellet and cooked particles etc. after action only. 

In my opinion mass baiting ruins your swim and ruins things for everybody else. It is just a fad started by the marketing machine to get us to spend money. The lakes where the top boys fish are often virgin, having seen little pressure or bait for years. They also get sponsored so can afford to chuck it out. 

In short, more people need to realise that there is a huge difference between the ultra pressured ordinary places we fish and the places the elite prance about on in the name of the carp marketing machine.

I think people get too obsessed with using boilies and miss out on a lot.

I don't think they are 'all that' at all.

With bait, just as with rigs, KEEP.IT. SIMPLE. 

Yeap,Im with you on this one boy,i would guess you are prob,the same age as me,touching 60.I just this minute got a tex from my son in iaw,he was fishing a small private lake about 3 acres I think,friday he was on his own and he had 3 carp then 2 blokes turned up ,one on either side of him and out went 100's of boilies,his tex was that he had no more!

I couldn't disagree more.

Lots of the lakes the 'top boys' fish, are arguably worse than any situation you will ever fish. High profile waters may have the same amount of anglers as a lake you may fish. But generally get filled up with fulltime anglers, fishing 4+ days a week. These lakes become like circuses, there are no virgin waters in the UK that the 'pro's' have access to. And if there are virgin waters. They are all non publicity, meaning they are no good for people trying to catch for marketing purposes.

His name comes up time and time again for various reasons, but a man I will refer to as JS, has a bad reputation for filling in a lake with bait. Which may be true, but him and others like him don't just turn up and spod out 50kg of boilies, unless they knew from the time of year, or some other factors that would make it the right thing to do. Most of their bait gets used prebaiting, in order to get the fish to see your bait as a natural food source.

People who just turn up and bait huge amounts are not going to do well, but people who actively bait are going to outfish the others that don't.

Bad angling is what ruins the fishing for everyone, and feeding the fish high protein baits in the right situation, is not bad angling at all. Every thing has its day, and generalisation will never get you anywhere,

Edited by grangemilky

Prebaiting eh?

One of the carp worlds greatest red herring myths of all time.

UTTER waste of time and money.

IT DOES NOT WORK, and filling lakes in DOES RUIN IT FOR EVERYBODY.

So in essence, Grangemilky, And in reply to your rather sarcastic rant at me about naturals on another post I made:

A natural is a bait that has not had much human processing.. Boilies are almsot entirely humanly processed, and they ARE rubbish.

You seem to think you know an awful lot about carp angling, but I would say that it is more that you have had the wool pulled over your eyes.

Prebaiting eh?

One of the carp worlds greatest red herring myths of all time.

UTTER waste of time and money.

IT DOES NOT WORK, and filling lakes in DOES RUIN IT FOR EVERYBODY.

So in essence, Grangemilky, And in reply to your rather sarcastic rant at me about naturals on another post I made:

A natural is a bait that has not had much human processing.. Boilies are almsot entirely humanly processed, and they ARE rubbish.

You seem to think you know an awful lot about carp angling, but I would say that it is more that you have had the wool pulled over your eyes.

I'm not sure this post even merits a response :lol:

Prebiating a myth and utter waste of time?

Boilies completely rubbish? :lol:

Everything has its day, nothing is rubbish, nothing is the be all and end all. Stop generalising things!

Please go on, justify your statements.

I couldn't disagree more.

Lots of the lakes the 'top boys' fish, are arguably worse than any situation you will ever fish. High profile waters may have the same amount of anglers as a lake you may fish. But generally get filled up with fulltime anglers, fishing 4+ days a week. These lakes become like circuses, there are no virgin waters in the UK that the 'pro's' have access to. And if there are virgin waters. They are all non publicity, meaning they are no good for people trying to catch for marketing purposes.

His name comes up time and time again for various reasons, but a man I will refer to as JS, has a bad reputation for filling in a lake with bait. Which may be true, but him and others like him don't just turn up and spod out 50kg of boilies, unless they knew from the time of year, or some other factors that would make it the right thing to do. Most of their bait gets used prebaiting, in order to get the fish to see your bait as a natural food source.

People who just turn up and bait huge amounts are not going to do well, but people who actively bait are going to outfish the others that don't.

Bad angling is what ruins the fishing for everyone, and feeding the fish high protein baits in the right situation, is not bad angling at all. Every thing has its day, and generalisation will never get you anywhere,

Its not all that often that i totally agree with mr milky but this time i do albeit only in that i believe that the OP is wrong about boilies .

Its my opinion that small to medium amounts of good quality boilies on a very regular basis can work wonders for your fishing.

As it does for anybody fortunate enough to get in that paticular swim before you do .

Filling in a lake with boilies may well do the trick for the jim shelleys of this world , thats fair comment , but i've also seen examples where overbaiting CAN and has killed things stone dead although that was 25kg sacks of maize that done the deed .

I dont know anybody who can afford to do that with boilies but reasonable amounts of a decent food source boilie fed regularly cant be a bad thing and can only be good for the fish as well as vastly improve your chances of catching.

Look sorry for being a little defensive Grangemilky but let's put this into context a little to do with actual reality

My reality is a wonderful but heavily pressured club lake

I am of the opinion that piling boilies in to rot is not a brilliant method, that encompasses therein both mass and prebaiting

The lake sees so much bait that prebaiting cannot in essence be of any use, also the carp are very nomadic and large in population, if prebaiting was done quietly, they would clear the lot (or not), then move on to new ground, very fast.

In my experience of that and a few other lakes I know well, both pre and heavy baiting with boilies are both definitely of no use

Like I said I do far better on there with pellet and unusual naturals which I am not going to disclose as it is up to more people to be open minded to other baits and the joys of very light sprinkilings of bait, in my opinion, if they want to catch more

Let me give you one example though:

A very experienced angler outshone EVERYBODY else (all blanking) with multiple captures of stunning carp using handfuls of tinned butterbeans around a peacock quill float

Each to their own I guess, and fishing is all about opinions mate.

You like boilies, heavy baiting, and prebaiting, and I despise those things, not just because they are way overused, rather sheep like and slavish to marketing and lacking in imagination, but more because they slow up the fishing, fill up the fish, and rot in lakes in their millions. (If you don't believe me, dive a lake sometime), which CANNOT be good in any way for the delicate aquaculture.

In short, I think mass baiting with boilies is a waste of time and money as well as very selfish.

Firsrly pre baiting is far from a waste of time if the fish are regularly picking up free offerings up and not getting caught they become much more confident and therfore more catchable. You dont have to bait up with loads of bait either little and often is very effective. Its not as simple as going down the lake and dumping lots of bait it takes abit of thought

Look sorry for being a little defensive Grangemilky but let's put this into context a little to do with actual reality

My reality is a wonderful but heavily pressured club lake

I am of the opinion that piling boilies in to rot is not a brilliant method, that encompasses therein both mass and prebaiting

The lake sees so much bait that prebaiting cannot in essence be of any use, also the carp are very nomadic and large in population, if prebaiting was done quietly, they would clear the lot (or not), then move on to new ground, very fast.

In my experience of that and a few other lakes I know well, both pre and heavy baiting with boilies are both definitely of no use

Like I said I do far better on there with pellet and unusual naturals which I am not going to disclose as it is up to more people to be open minded to other baits and the joys of very light sprinkilings of bait, in my opinion, if they want to catch more

Let me give you one example though:

A very experienced angler outshone EVERYBODY else (all blanking) with multiple captures of stunning carp using handfuls of tinned butterbeans around a peacock quill float

Each to their own I guess, and fishing is all about opinions mate.

You like boilies, heavy baiting, and prebaiting, and I despise those things, not just because they are way overused, rather sheep like and slavish to marketing and lacking in imagination, but more because they slow up the fishing, fill up the fish, and rot in lakes in their millions. (If you don't believe me, dive a lake sometime), which CANNOT be good in any way for the delicate aquaculture.

In short, I think mass baiting with boilies is a waste of time and money as well as very selfish.

That's fair enough, you have stated you don't like heavy prebaiting, in that circumstances and that's fair enough. I've seen myself, an overhangimg tree that used to fish well, suddenly died a death. Turned out there was almost half a foot deep of rotten bait! Once cleared the spot got back to its old ways.

The point is, that everything has its time and place, and in the situations you are talking about, where everyone is overfeeding with boilies, doing something a little different will always come up trumps.

Other lakes, at other times, get ripped apart by groups of people who boat 30kg of boilies out every other night in huge baiting teams.

Some lakes, in fact you mentioned your club lake, are highly stocked, and just cannot support the head of fish in there without anglers bait supplementing their diet. I could argue that feeding just a hand full of particles is bad fishing and shellfish...but I won't.

Every tactic has its right time and place. Prebaiting so much the bait rotts is bad fishing, but feeding enough regularly to keep them searching and keep them feeding through out any weather, is very very good fishing.

I find myself in agreement with Grangemilky on this.

Pre-baiting does work, and can catch an awful lot of fish for you. I do however agree that at times overbaiting with boilies is a bad thing. There is a massive difference in quality between a good food source boilie, and a cheap (but expensive) shelf life. If you overbait with a poor food quality shelf life, then many of them do get left alone. When even the bugs and bacteria don't go to them, then there is a problem. However a good food source (often freezer) bait will not sit and go mouldy. It will break down itself over  time, as well as be picked apart by smaller fish if the carp don't eat it.

There is also the point that if the fish don't visit an area, then pre-baiting there won't always draw them in. If they don't want to go there for whatever reason (pressure, rotten bottom as some types of silt can be), then by dumping bait in that spot, it may well go off, especially if in large amounts. That is both a waste of a bait, and a bit of bad angling. Pre-baiting has to be done judiciously, bait where the fish will happily eat it.

I think shelflives have really come on a lot, many now are superior to frozen bait, depends what you use. Luckily I don't have to worry because I don't use boilies any more, happy days, no more confusion here! There are too many around, and they are too expensive for me, but good luck to you all.

Earlier it was mentioned that some high profile anglers throw in 50kg of boilies in a session at certain times. I'm not so sure about this.

Bearing in mind that some sponsered anglers have lost their bait sponserships due to them selling their freebies on the bank, does anybody else think that actually they only say that they threw in 50kg to cover up the fact that they sold 45kg on the black market?

Just a thought & maybe a cynical one at that but I cant help thinking that this could be the case.

When i first started to fish i would listen alot to other anglers who said "oh no you dont want to use boilies on this lake" or "this is a boilie lake". I now just tend to use what ever people are not using. I will just use what works now, I have a bag of boilies with me and i do tend to use them as hookbaits alot, or in pva bags with micro pellets or even some sort of stinger. As for baiting up i normally find my spot and crash little out to scare any fish away so i dont spook them when dropping leds for a day ticket i would struggle to put in a whole bag of anything to be honest. I will bait up either a couple of times an hour 1/2 handfulls or after i see feeding or catch. I have never fished beds of bait. I have however Pre-baited with "munga" haha.

All I've ever caught on boilies is catfish and suckers. When I prebait I notice that the bite is much slower than if I use just packbait or method mix. I think less is more is the key. I have found no benefit in putting down a bed of bait. Just a little bait near your hookbait is all you really need. If the carp are there they will eat. If you load the place up, the carp will come, eat their fill and leave. These are my opinons on the waters I fish. YMMV

Edited by dunkel

I tend to follow a similar pattern to Kierandocherty in as much as i prefer to do my own thing.

TBH i couldn't bring myself to pile kilos of boilies in, i'd be too concious of the cost and would be rather miffed if i didn't catch. possibly to the point of snorkeling in and taking it back out if they aint gonna eat it lol.

I like to throw a little groundbait in every few days then when I fish a spot pult out the boiles getting dodgy in the bag and all dried up ones in the top tray of my tackle box from last session just to clean things up. Season starts here in a month and I'm going to need to get busy preparing.

When I prebait I notice that the bite is much slower than if I use just packbait or method mix.

I have heard that a few times, i think it is because of competition when method feeding or using less bait they almost take a chance on your bait but when its sat there overnight ect they are much more methodical in what they take ive heard from some people that they are having to use white or dull baits to catch because the fish are ignoring there nice new fresh bait and going for the washed out baits.

Edited by kierandocherty

Prebaiting is different to fishing on top of a bed of bait. Prebaiting is done in unfished areas for you to come back to when your swim runs dry. Topping up a swim after catching with just a few handfuls is sufficient when fishing in your swim. I also find in most instances just a hook bait presented is enough. So long as the fish are there of coarse.