Carp Set up

Hi, i have just come back into fishing after around 6 years out the game now i wasnt the best fisherman back then so im classing myself as a beginner.

I have 2 Shimano carp rods both with Shimano bait runner reels, i am looking at putting new line on the reels i mainly carp fish wasnt sure on the best line i was thinking maybe 8lb? 

any suggestions p.s i usually have 1 rod with boileys and another with either sweet corn, break or cheese depending on the lake etc.

Any advise would be well received.

Regards

Chris

Hey Hoskins just reading your post, welcome back to the bank, I wound 't worry to much about our good and angler you are as long as you enjoy your time out on the bank, just a bit on line,,!,

many fishers nowadays days like you to use around 15lb, bra king strain, I personally use 12lb Contour from Korda ,in summer and 8lb in the colder month, not knowing where you fish and any other problems your water will through at you I'd go for 15lb Catana from Shimano,

adding to to choice of bait set up ,the main line will not be an issue ,As you can always Use changeable hook link that will suit your style of fishing,

Don't forget, to use your float rod. catching big carp on, a light set up is so rewarding ,I use a 4 bb waggelr on 6lb mainline / 4lb hook link fished about a ft. over depth in the margins throughout summer,

I think that many anglers use too high a breaking strain for the fish that they are fishing for, NOT just in carp fishing.

If the carp go to around double figures, maybe just pushing 20's, then I would be quite happy using 8-10lb line. It is only when I start to fish waters with a few snags and a fair amount of weed would I go to 12-15lb. On one of my local waters with fish to 20lb I was floater fishing and stalking with 8lb Sensor and a 7lb hooklink. That set-up also coped with chub and an unintended pike on the river :wink:

We have gotten into the mindset that we need to use 15lb line for everything in carp fishing.

I know it is an old thread, but is this any interest?

http://www.carp.com/topic/922-overgunned/?hl=overgunned

I think that many anglers use too high a breaking strain for the fish that they are fishing for, NOT just in carp fishing.

If the carp go to around double figures, maybe just pushing 20's, then I would be quite happy using 8-10lb line. It is only when I start to fish waters with a few snags and a fair amount of weed would I go to 12-15lb. On one of my local waters with fish to 20lb I was floater fishing and stalking with 8lb Sensor and a 7lb hooklink. That set-up also coped with chub and an unintended pike on the river :wink:

We have gotten into the mindset that we need to use 15lb line for everything in carp fishing.

I know it is an old thread, but is this any interest?

http://www.carp.com/topic/922-overgunned/?hl=overgunned

To be fair nick , many fisheries stipulate minimum breaking strain requirements and many seem to be 15lb

• 2 weeks later...

I use 15lb line for beachcasting. On my reels i currently have 10lb camou line which is joined to my leadcore (where allowed) spliced loop via a figure of eight loop or a bimini twist loop to looped - i find this snaps over 12lb on the "scale test" as for fishing waters that ask for 15lb minimum? Well i've got 15lb line on guvnor...! :wink:

I love berekely big game, its cheap cheerful and hard as nails! Pull a wall down with it... Diawa sensor is awesome too tough as old boots as well.

:rolleyes: