Soaking frozen boillies

frogy

Mate just defrost them slowly in the bag, keep turning them around and give em a shake so they re-absorb the flavour that has frosted out evenly.... then throw them in a dry bucket with a load of fresh pellets, micro ones are best...... they will absorb a little of the oil from the pellets, get a nice drying and dusting, and this helps them form a tough skin and is just as good as air drying them.... they will last weeks then.

And if you can't use or pre-bait them once thawed, then air dry them.

I would never refreeze boilies that I had not been able to use.

This may give the answer on refreezing boilies:

http://www.carp.com/topic/2024-frozen-boilies/

I would never refreeze boilies that I had not been able to use.

One question.......

You order a few kgs of "fresh" boilies from a company. How do you know (for certain) that these haven't been sitting in a large freezer and have then been thawed out and sent to you as "fresh"?

Personally, I have no qualms whatsoever about re-freezing bait I haven't used at the end of the day. I've done it before, and have noticed no difference whatsoever in the quality of the smell/consistency of it. 

I re freeze mine,never had any problems,and when I get my bait delivered from ABS you can tell it's fresh :)

One thing I do is split my bait into 1kilo and half kilo bags and if I do bring a bit of bait home I just mark the bag with a marker pen so when I go for my next session I know what bait to grab...... Normally it only gets refrozen once that way :)

I re freeze mine,never had any problems,and when I get my bait delivered from ABS you can tell it's fresh :)

One thing I do is split my bait into 1kilo and half kilo bags and if I do bring a bit of bait home I just mark the bag with a marker pen so when I go for my next session I know what bait to grab...... Normally it only gets refrozen once that way :)

Exactly what i do steve .

I dont leave em in the bags on the bank though lol

Look I am not being big headed here guys but the sheer simplicity of shaking thawed out boilies for a couple of minutes in a load of dry mini pellets is an idea that shouldn't have been totally overlooked and glossed over so easily, lol

What is the point of buying yet another tackle item an air dry bag and hanging them in a tree for two days for the pigeons and squirrels to muller when you can just throw em around in some pellet for 20 seconds, riddle the pellet out again, and have a perfect dry skin on the boilies for a couple of weeks of happy storage (plus a little dusting of extra flavour)?

Look I am not being big headed here guys but the sheer simplicity of shaking thawed out boilies for a couple of minutes in a load of dry mini pellets is an idea that shouldn't have been totally overlooked and glossed over so easily, lol

What is the point of buying yet another tackle item an air dry bag and hanging them in a tree for two days for the pigeons and squirrels to muller when you can just throw em around in some pellet for 20 seconds, riddle the pellet out again, and have a perfect dry skin on the boilies for a couple of weeks of happy storage (plus a little dusting of extra flavour)?

Don't think it has been overlooked,just each to there own really

Get ya boilies in a pair of ya mrs old tights ..... Save ya the £7 on an air dry bag :)

Unless I'm fishing a water with crays, I NEVER air dry my boillie, leave em in bag they de-frosted in. Then refreeze in same bag.

If I do air dry, I'll use a bread tray ( costs nothing, nicked from supermarket ) then glug in matching liquid, just call me weird :)

Unless I'm fishing a water with crays, I NEVER air dry my boillie, leave em in bag they de-frosted in. Then refreeze in same bag.

Same as.

I keep them in the shade (in a proper container) and try to keep them as cool as I can.

If I have half a kilo left over they will just go back in the freezer. I only keep a small quantity (maybe 3kgs) in there anyway as the wife requires the remaining space to put daft things like burgers, fish fingers, ice cream etc. 

Same as.

I keep them in the shade (in a proper container) and try to keep them as cool as I can.

If I have half a kilo left over they will just go back in the freezer. I only keep a small quantity (maybe 3kgs) in there anyway as the wife requires the remaining space to put daft things like burgers, fish fingers, ice cream etc.

Get your own freezer( I got 2 :D) full of bait :wink:

Air drying is a time tested way I completely srying out the bait, from the outside in.

I don't understand what your method does, except lightly coat the bait in a poor quality fish oil. Not something I would want to do with a milk protein bait, or during cold weather.

Propperly air dried boilies kept propperly will last indefinitely.

Rehydrating them in molassus is a a great edge though!

Air drying is a time tested way I completely srying out the bait, from the outside in.

I don't understand what your method does, except lightly coat the bait in a poor quality fish oil. Not something I would want to do with a milk protein bait, or during cold weather.

Propperly air dried boilies kept propperly will last indefinitely.

Rehydrating them in molassus is a a great edge though!

Did I say halibut pellet?

NO

I use good quality coarse pellet.

Another myth: NO they will NOT last indefinitely air dried, and thinking like that is a sure fire way of poisoning carp with dodgy bacteria.

Another myth: NO halibut pellets are NOT a bad winter bait anyway, IF USED IN SMALL DOSES, the oils are so massively high pressure pressed into pellets, that they will 'thin out' way beyond what any oil in a boilie is capable of and disperse in water near freezing easily

Yet another myth: NO to milk protein baits. They are an absolute waste of money and carp prefer a bait with about a 20% protein content and a good flavour profile rather than 60-80% protein rip off mixes

My method does work, maybe you should try it.

It is up to you if you want to waste your time and money, but I am sticking to my guns so don't rubbish what I am saying with rubbish born of reading too many magazines please. 

Edited by theobeeus

Did I say halibut pellet?

NO

I use good quality coarse pellet.

Another myth: NO they will NOT last indefinitely air dried, and thinking like that is a sure fire way of poisoning carp with dodgy bacteria.

Another myth: NO halibut pellets are NOT a bad winter bait anyway, IF USED IN SMALL DOSES, the oils are so massively high pressure pressed into pellets, that they will 'thin out' way beyond what any oil in a boilie is capable of and disperse in water near freezing easily

Yet another myth: NO to milk protein baits. They are an absolute waste of money and carp prefer a bait with about a 20% protein content and a good flavour profile rather than 60-80% protein rip off mixes

My method does work, maybe you should try it.

It is up to you if you want to waste your time and money, but I am sticking to my guns so don't rubbish what I am saying with popular assumptions born of reading too many magazines and air dry bag manufacturers please.