Soaking frozen boillies

frogy

That wasn't intended to be a complement in any way. 

I was going to reply to your above post, but its not worth my time. FYI course pellets contain fish oils :lol:

Air drying is a myth created by the air dry bag manufacturers? :lol: Milk protein baits (such as Hi-Nu-Val based) are a myth (?) and do not work? Dipping baits in some pellets is better than air drying.

Please, tell us more. This stuff is gold. 

No less an authority than Jim Gibbinson said that HP (As in high protein.. HNV are altogether seperate) baits are only really good in winter, but pretty pointless in warmer temps as carp will prefer low protein baits such as bog standard readymade boilies, tigernuts, particles etc. in summer

IMO far too many people believe far too many myths in carp fishing and for me the king of them all is the holy grail mega high protein bait that like I said is, I think, an utter waste of time and money

I did my own testing on the lake I fish and an extremely expensive old school high protein mix was time and time again blown out of the water by a handful of my favourite brand of pre drilled halibut pellets, in winter as well as in summer

Tossing frozen boilies in dry coarse pellet is like I have now said about four times a very quick and simple way of drying the skin of a bait and thus allowing the baits to continue drying naturally without any hassles at all

Like I said it is a good method and you should try it, be careful though because you might like the sheer convenience of it and the fact that it works brilliantly

Feel free to carry on air drying baits though, but please don't even imagine that an air dried bait will 'last indefinitely' as that is absolutely not the case and is dangerous thinking as their have been many reported problems of carp deaths due to mouldy old boilies mate

Edited by theobeeus

No less an authority than Jim Gibbinson said that HP (As in high protein.. HNV are altogether seperate) baits are only really good in winter, but pretty pointless in warmer temps as carp will prefer lower protein baits such as bog standard readymade boilies, tigernuts, particles etc. in summer

IMO far too many people believe far too many myths in carp fishing and for me the king of them all is the holy grail mega high protein bait that like I said is, I think, an utter waste of time and money

I did my own testing on the lake I fish and an extremely expensive old school high protein mix was time and time again blown out of the water by a handful of my favourite brand of pre drilled halibut pellets, in winter as well as in summer

Tossing frozen boilies in dry coarse pellet is like I have now said about four times a very quick and simple way of drying the skin of a bait and thus allowing the baits to continue drying naturally without any hassles at all

Like I said it is a good method and you should try it, be careful though because you might like the sheer convenience of it and the fact that it works brilliantly, yet another way it is better than air drying is that the baits do not shrink as much and retain their original texture

Feel free to carry on air drying baits though, but please don't even imagine that an air dried frozen bait will ''last indefinitely'' as that is absolutely not the case and is dangerous thinking as there have been many reported problems of carp deaths due to mouldy old boilies 

Edited by theobeeus

So you have gone from saying milk protein baits are a complete waste if time, to saying High protein baits all together are only good in winter.

Milk protein baits, generally are people's go to winter baits. So by your logic, milk protein baits are good, especially when used in winter when they are pretty widely used. :?:

Your test you did doesn't sound very extensive...not to mention earlier you stated that carp prefer a 20% protein mix. How come you are catching on halibut pellets, that are generally around 50% protein? :lol:

Maybe the halibut pellet out fished your 'old school' high protein bait, because the halibut was a higher more digestible protein source.

Oh right so halibut pellets have gone from being ''low quality fish oils'' to ''50% protein baits'' have they?

My old school high protein bait was 80% protein

Look each to their own, just use what you like

My point was that there are too many popular myths around carp bait

If you want to spend all your money on fish food then do it mate

Thing is a good old humble worm that costs nothing from your garden will stil catch you nice fish ...... If somebody wants to spend an arm and a leg on bait then it's up to them ....... You seem as tho you despise the way carp fishing has gone and live in the eutopia of days gone by ....... Yes a grain of corn will catch a fish ..... But so will a top end expensive boilie..... STOP telling everyone how what you do/know is right and stop preaching your sermons on here ..... As your signature says you're digging a big hole for yourself..... Don't be silly and jump in ......

Let's not spoil what is a good start to the new forum ..... By all means be part of it but come on,do you really think you know everything about everything :-0

Thing is a good old humble worm that costs nothing from your garden will stil catch you nice fish ...... If somebody wants to spend an arm and a leg on bait then it's up to them ....... You seem as tho you despise the way carp fishing has gone and live in the eutopia of days gone by ....... Yes a grain of corn will catch a fish ..... But so will a top end expensive boilie..... STOP telling everyone how what you do/know is right and stop preaching your sermons on here ..... As your signature says you're digging a big hole for yourself..... Don't be silly and jump in ......

Let's not spoil what is a good start to the new forum ..... By all means be part of it but come on,do you really think you know everything about everything :-0

YOU use worms and a grain of corn do you?

(Yeah RIGHT).

Yea your right I,ll leave you too it ......

Last time I used corn, Friday for a couple of hours :wink: lol

I own an allotment so I have a never ending supply of worms :D

I still float fish prawn in the summer for carp...... Lovely summer bait

It is sad that he got so 'het up' that he was forced to take the ejection seat as occasionally some of his ideas or opinions were on target.

Now I do not think that a milk protein bait is the best bait going in the slightest, and Hi-Nu-Val worked best when an additional enzyme was added to assist in protein breakdown and utilisation, as a plain and straight bait, there were, and are better, with a mix of protein sources. (animal, fish, meat etc).

I do think that in many cases extremely high in protein is wasted, since only around 40% is used for tissue growth, repair etc, and any more than that is used for energy first. 

Halibut pellets, designed for feeding to halibut, and as such, not the best bait for carp. Fine in small doses, but it is when more and more people use them (or trout or salmon pellets), that problems arise. The high level of oils in these pellets are not suitable for carp, and can lead to problems (http://www.newtonangling.com/documents/Are%20we%20killing%20our%20carp2-1.htm

http://www.carp.com/topic/2207-trout-pellet-problems-and-ill-informed-anglers/?hl=%2Btrout+%2Bpellets

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/bruno14.htm

Particles, best in the summer? To some extent I agree, the oils that they provide the attraction, are more free flowing in warmer water. In addition to that, fats are more digestible in warmer months for carp, although vegetable oils are better than fish and meat oils (see above). Particles also provide more carbohydrate, energy than most boilies. Being as the carp are more active, the particles provide better regular energy.

That does not mean that other baits won't work. Worms, maggots, snails, slugs, caterpillars all have been known to catch carp.

At the end of it, this thread was about soaking, rehydrating boilies etc. Air dried work, can be used straight from the air dry bag, but why not add some extra attraction if you feel it works, for that is the question. By the way, personally I never found the need, use them straight from the air dry bag and caught :wink:  

I see he quit and closed his account .

There was nothing wrong with any of his posts that the inclusion of the phrase "in my opinion" wouldnt have put right .

In general , it just come across as rude and ignorant and there was no need for it .