Nearly ready to go carping

fudgecat

Hiya i have placed my order for my carp rod and reel and all the other stuff, landing net 42 inches, carp matt, scales, sling.etc etc.Canvey go fishing was very good and won my order.

I have been looking at various  rigs and hooks to use, i will only use barbless hooks.I looked at method feeder but feel i need to use something more simple to begin with. I feel confident with baiting pellets or sweetcorn with a baiting needle. But not sure what rigs would be the best please and what hook size ? Would be grateful for any advice. Also not sure how you attach the weight to the line.

For me, I spent most of my time float fishing, and randomly gave the flat method feeder a go with a quiver tip, just took a pint of 3m pellets to mould around the feeder and double corn on the hair, Soon started catching the carp everywhere i went with it, the explosive bites got me carp fishing more and i found it to be the easilest way to set up, and by tying my own hook lenghs gave me a really good build up and knowledge of rig tying. I tend to fish a method rod as well as a carp rod and at night i put a second rod on where i was method feeding all day. Tends to work really well.

Thank you for great advice i have two rods coming and i been watching videos of method feeding, I feel i want to try and have a go. The video i been watching the guy carefully mixes but not a preston method he just applies the mix with his hand while in the bucket, Adds a sweetcorn which in the middle.He just uses his hands not using anything to pat into shape. Then he sometimrs adds an egg to the mix which bonds the mix for longer casting.

Fudge , take a look at the safe lead set ups sticky and the rig/hooklength stickies ( posted by hnv i believe ).

They'll sort you out . Then you can come back with specific questions matey .

I suggest straight forward braided knotless knot hooklength to begin with , always keep it simple as you gain experience , along with a running lead set up .

The stickies are really helpful mate so have a gander ....

Nice and simple is the key.

Light running lead set up, or "legering" as we used to call it years ago.

This carping lark can seem very daunting at first, what with all the various rigs and methods.

But find one that you are comfortable with and stick with it.

A mate of mine prefers fishing the method. Me? Can't stand it. Too much sploshing around for my liking.

:wink:

I totally agree, i would get yourself a good "how to" book, and fully read it and take it in. Keep asking questions via posts on this forum, if you got questions you wanna ask but dont want them public, then PM one of us, ive answered lots of private messages from new lads over the years.

Walk about your local water and have a discret chat with the anglers on there, to get some hints. Ask your tackle dealer for some hints and demonstrations on the gear your buying. Readymade rigs with readymade tubing/lead setups are plentiful - you just need to thread the mainline and attach the hooklink. Or even a free running bomb with mono hooklink can, and will catch carp, thats all i used for many years, couldnt afford braid!

As for bait? Find out what sells best in the shop as it is popular and working, and stick to proven baits that your confident will work.

Picking a venue is very important, choose a pond with a high stocking density of lotsa hungry carp, no point in fishing a 100acre pit with 15 carp in it as you will blank and lose interest very quickly, now a hungry water packed with hungry carp will give you a much higher chance of success and catching will help improve your confidence and skills as you find what works etc.

Oh, never forget margins too and dont try to run before you can walk. (in the nicest possible way!) just get out there and enjoy it mate, thats the whole idea! Any questions, dont hesitate to ask!

:rolleyes:

Thank you so much for all above advice. So would it be ok to thread a 1oz line weight  on to a 10lb line, Then attach a link, too stop the weight moving down the line, Then attach a basic hair rig. I been looking at various methods but there so many and it gets confusing. Just want the simplest method to start with.

Well to be honest as i will have 2 rods i fancy one ledgering and the other one float fishing, or is this a bad idea.

Hia Fudge, the method feeder is a great way to learn how to fish on the bottom for carp, just don't use an elasticated feeder, if they still sell them? Get the in-line feeder.

If you buy ready tied hook lengths to begin with, you could pass your main-line through the feeder and tie the line to a kwick link swivel, that would be the only knot you need to tie yourself. The Palomar knot is very easy to tie, best to put a drop of Loctite super glue on the knot too. You can find guides on-line that show you how to tie the Palomar knot.

That way you have the feeder on the line and the ability to quickly clip the hook line on.

Go to a water with fish to the 20lb size and a large number of fish, best to fish with one rod to begin with, two rods can lead to all sorts of tangles and what not, chances are any fish you try to land will swim into the line on the other rod. I struggle to fish three rods from the same swim, so I only use two. Don't worry, you will soon swap the feeder for a 2oz lead and have both rods out.

Is this your first time out fishing? Don't worry if so, just keep your gun-hand on the rod, you can use a bite alarm, but do not get out of quick reaching distance of the rod when fishing the method feeder, the takes can be fast and strong, as the fish are in a group all trying to get the best bits off the feeder.

I had a stroke of luck, The place where iam going to fish the owner of the lakes is going to coach me. As i have no experience of carp fishing he advice that i start float fishing and gain experience, So i have canceled my previous order and re-order a match rod for waggler fishing, He says i will catch roach, perch and carp and still have chance of catching a 20lb carp with the set up he told me to do. This way i wont get bored waiting to catch a big fish as i be catching smaller fish hopefully most of the time. I know the lakes are very good as many fish are caught.

Thats great news mate, sounds like the owner is a half decent bloke to make an offer like that. This is the best way to learn your trade, catching "silvers" and small carp - too many people are in too much of a hurry to get the 2oz leads and boilies out after 20lb carp! You will be a far, far better angler if you start "from scratch" and work your way up. You will enjoy it more and stay focused longer with regular bites and fish coming to the net.

I "did my apprenticiship" on the thames fishing for roach, rudd, perch, bream etc, started fishing when i was 5, caught my 1st carp at the age of 10, been hooked on carp ever since, but i never stopped fishing for the smaller species, caught loads of roach, rudd, tench etc whilst quivertipping. Even caught a 16lb mirror! That was a buzz on 6lb line...

Yeah iam lucky think the guy old school he catches huge carp with method fishing, Hates complicated rigs and bite alarms and loves to use simple bait with simple tactics. :wink:

So i collect my tackle tomorrow and start fishing on friday.The only tackle apart from rod and reel etc is just hooks, which are hook to lyon size 12,14,16 and some split shots BB, no1, no 14.

I have seen this guy catch about 20 fish in an hour weighing from 1lb to 5 lb like mixture of roach, bream, tench and carp all on sweetcorn. Carnt wait till friday :roll:

Mate, the name of the game is to enjoy yourself! Those who get too wrapped up in the technicalities will soon burn out! You will learn everything in time, just have fun and the rest will come.

Its only a hobby after all!! :lol: any questions, just stick them up on here, and good luck on friday, you should have a cracking day.

As above good luck and have fun. Sometimes even when you have all the carp specific gear it's nice to leave it behind and use the simple methods we started with. I still carry a few corks and plastic rings from drink bottles in my tackle box for impromptu indicators.

Sometimes even when you have all the carp specific gear it's nice to leave it behind and use the simple methods we started with.

This is so very true! I like nothing better than leaving all the carp gear at home and just trotting breadflake on the current of the Avon in search of chub and roach, or running a fly for brown trout, it reminds me of the magic of it all and why it (should be!) is such a brilliant relaxing pastime!

Hey dude welcome to the forum.  All of the advice that has been given is worth its weight in gold. :)

Keep your rigs mega simple.  To me, you would be best off by sliding a 1/2oz - 1oz lead onto your line, then tie on a size 10 hook, and 18" away from the hook, squeeze on a split shot to prevent the lead from sliding to the hook.  A few bits of sweetcorn, maggots, luncheon meat or bread on the hook and away you go.

Its as basic as it comes, and safe.  I couldnt count how many fish I have caught using this simple setup since I was a kid.