Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
fudgecat

Nearly ready to go carping

The disabled chap who i help every other day with his fishing, Has brought me a diawa wilderness spinning rod with a 6000 shimano bait runner reel. He done this without me knowing and forced me in a nice way to accept the gift. Its a lovely rod comes in a prober case too.

Looks like a quality rod fudgey . Not sure what you would use it for though ?

Anyway , nice of the old boy :wink:

Some spinning rods make excellent stalking rods, and for floater fishing :wink:

Well to be honest Nick i was kind of thinking that cos the term spinning can be confusing cant it ?

Thats why i didnt reply to the post immediately before yours :)

Spinning taken literally . We know what that is but i dont think that is fudgey's thing at the moment .

Even the term "spinning reel" is used as a term to describe ALL fixed spool reels not just those used for lure fishing .

Indeed , we know that carp WILL take a fly or a lure but i couldnt see the mill barn fishery taking to kindly to fudgey slinging a plug around their match lake :)

Yes i would get banned for life if i did that at millbarn.

But it seams i could use the dawia spinning rod for float fishing. :wink:

Yep and float-er fishing ( on the surface ) ....:wink:

33xk1me.jpg

Ok i getting fed up with float adaptors and may go back to useing split shots that are a pain sometimes, I know you can buy a special tool to help attach shots to the fishing line.

But would a good set of small long nose pliers to the job ???

Ok i still well into float fishing, I recently have been using the old floats including some old quill floats that were given to me. Its more fun and you get a better bite detection. I have even been using river floats for carp fishing as well. They much better than the pre - weighted floats. I will be looking into making my own quill floats very soon see if i can find something on google.

When i was a kid i used to go over the local park lake and pick up Goose feathers that were always lieing about by the lake ( valsnce moat Dagenham ).

Once stripped down and a couple of float rubbers added all they needed was a bit of bright paint abd you had a quill float that lasted for years.

Apart from the peacock quills available in tackle shops you couldnt get better floats .

Even small ones threaded through a tiny corkball woukd give you a lovely little perch float .

2ikzhx0.png

I brought this item today, Well you have not fished till you have used one of these. Fantastic. I used this with my 10ft waggler rod using the float and caught two 15lb carp, The control is fantastic and you play the fish till it comes to your net. Not sure if i set up right, As the reel had fly line on it think it was silk, But added some 8lb dawia sensor to it. My rod has a limit of 8lb line that can be used so maybe i remove the silk line and totaly  replace with sensor.But to be honest best days fishing ever so far.

Back to basic question coming up....

Is it best when baiting the hook to hide the bait, Would it best to hide sweetcorn so it can not be seen. ? Also the same with other baits like cheese and bread paste ?  :confused:  :wink:

Edited by fudgecat

Back after a long break. Back to using bait runner reels and brought a 6ft stalking rod for fishing in the margins. Getting all set for the winter after buying wet gear and a umbrella tent, camping stove, Wont be much longer then i be fishing for the big carp but on the float. I currently still fishing at millbarn but are looking for a new venu thats local, with the bigger fish. :wink:

5lb244.png

Back to the members lake at millbarn fisheries ( Great Wakering ) in Essex, Was fishing on the float just in front of the rushes about 2 feet deep using good old cheese, Had about 7 carp in about 4 hours the biggest being a common weighing 11 pounds and one other big one weighing 10 lbs and the others were all about 5lb. The heron on the far side of the lake was just sitting there for hours waiting for dinner. I was using a 6ft stalking rod with the shimano bait runner reel seams a good set up, But think its only a matter of time before i try bigger venus for bigger carp.