Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
APE

Hello and a query about overnight fishing

I night fish more on my own than with others - and I prefer it that way!

Just a few other things:

Just because your bivvy has a door, doesn't mean you need to use it - It's a lot easier to watch your rods, and more importantly your bobbins (if you are using Isotopes) without getting out of bed. It's not that much colder than with the front zipped up. I also feel a would-be thief is less likely to approach your swim if you can see them. In fact, the only time I have in the last 4-5 years fished with the front zipped up is if it's heavily raining and blowing into the bivvy, if it was snowing, or if I'm going to the toilet!

Toilets - Not all lakes have them. Be prepared!! I use a bucket which I line with a bin bag, which then gets tied up, and dumped appropiately.

Don't underestimate night vision - you can see quite a lot WITHOUT torches.

Self-take shots: Be prepared to take a self take at night. Tripods / resting the camera on a bucket, timers, flash etc. You will be glad you spent time sorting it out prior to getting a fish on the bank. Most cameras these day's have plenty of pixels to play with. It's better to take a photo zoomed out a bit, and crop the photo, than cutting off the tail / your head - If you have a flip around screen - even better!

This photo I took by myself at night - it's probably better than some of the other people on the lake could take if I asked them to.

7294404786_e617fc7f11_z.jpg

Edited by sharpy86

Check out the cheezy grin with the fully scaled!!! Lol! :lol:

All proper carp anglers have to frown or gurn in their photos... Big carp are not supposed to be enjoyable... :lol:mata7ame.jpg check out the gurning!! :lol:

As for night vision, here is some army medical info to consider!

You can see a remarkable amount without torches. Remember though, the rods in your eyes take about 10-20mins to "warm up" at night, once all light is extinguished. They tire pretty quickly too, so closing your eyes "recharge" them. The "rods" in the eye are angled slightly, so if you look directly at something, it will appear blurred, look at it from an angle, and it will be clearer. Human nightvision is pretty ineffecient, but once tuned in, you can see pretty well. The moment the "rods" are exposed to light, then they are "fried" and you lose your night vision until the "rods" recover in 10mins of darkness.

:rolleyes:

Ouch, I've always been aware that if I screw my eyes tight shut for a few seconds before leaving a brightly lit area I can see far more when opening them in the dark.

Is this to do with iris reaction?

Ian

Carrots help you see in the dark .

Well they may if you lack in vitamin A

Rhodopsin is the key to night vision -- it is the chemical that the rods use to absorb photons and perceive light. When a molecule of rhodopsin absorbs a photon, it splits into a retinal and an opsin molecule. These molecules later recombine naturally back into rhodopsin at a fixed rate, and recombinati­on is fairly slow.

So, when you expose your eyes to bright light, all of the rhodopsin breaks down into retinal and opsin. If you then turn out the lights and try to see in the dark, you can't. The cones need a lot of light, so they are useless, and there is no rhodopsin now so the rods are useless, too. Over the course of several minutes, however, the retinal and opsin recombine back into rhodopsin, and you can see again.

A fun fact: The retinal used in the eye is derived from vitamin A. If a person's diet is low in vitamin A, there is not enough retinal in the rods and therefore not enough rhodopsin. People who lack vitamin A often suffer from night blindness -- they cannot see in the dark.

so eat your carrots  :mrgreen:

Ouch, I've always been aware that if I screw my eyes tight shut for a few seconds before leaving a brightly lit area I can see far more when opening them in the dark.

Is this to do with iris reaction?

Ian

As blanksalot has pointed out in his post, it is down to the intra-molecular activity in the rods in your eyes. magumute.jpg they are found within the retina, not the iris, the rods are angled inwards too.remeqysy.jpg Screwing your eyes up helps protect and starts the "recharging" process with the rods. Thats why when you see squaddies on patrol at night, if we are exposed to light (torches, headlights etc) we close one eye so the night vision in our dominant eye is unaffected and we are not blundering about in the dark completely night blind until the rods reactivate.

Bit like the two below posted on page one  :wink:  :P 

http://www.carp.com/topic/17648-night-fishing-items/?hl=%2Bnight+%2Bfishing

Here is one link to a thread , I'm sure there's another , and welcome

Hello mate and welcome to the asylum.

Have a look here as well.

I've been angling for the last 10 years and tried every style of angling that I've had the opportunity to with the exception of one. Overnight carping. I have most of the kit I would need (bivvy, barrow, cooking gear, etc) but have no camping experience or overnight fishing experience. Does anyone have any useful tips for a rookie wanting to get out and spend more than just a day fishing?

All ican say is "RATS" beware of the pesky little, well big orrible things my advice..... wee all around you bivvy keep a mallet in your doss bag and listen out for scratching sounds oh and gnawing sounds. by the way ive never night fished lol

All ican say is "RATS" beware of the pesky little, well big orrible things my advice..... wee all around you bivvy keep a mallet in your doss bag and listen out for scratching sounds oh and gnawing sounds. by the way ive never night fished lol

You dont know what your missing pete .

I see you are busy this morning making up for lost time :)

Maybe you should have an overnighter :)

I love overnighters. It's just all the crap that you have to take with you that I hate.

:cry:

I constantly cut my kit right back. Yet i constatly seem to have a massive bag with me, that i realise i have only opened once, and that was because i thought my torch was in it. Yet when i get home and go through the bag, i can never find anythig in the bag that i 'couldn't' live without!

My sleeping bag is attached to my bedchair, with an inflatable roll mat (priceless issue kit!) and thermal liner. My change of clothes are in a waterproof canoe bag which is in my bedchair and doubles as a pillow. My 50" brolly is in the holdall with rods, reels, alarms, nets, mats, sling, scales, pod, tentpegs, groundsheet, issue poncho etc. I use a small issue daysac that has all my bait, tackle, food and water for the session. Plus wallet/phone/kindle/catty/binos/compass/keys etc and a small change of warmkit + issued waterproofs, stove metal mug and mess tin. Head torch/maglite/candles. Painkillers for wounded shoulder, other odds and sods. So on one shoulder - rod holdall, other shoulder - bedchair with sleeping system. On my back is a small daysac- i can move about as easily as anything. Takes just 5mins to pack up and relocate, i have everything to keep me fed watered warm dry and fishing and my entire session kit is a fraction of most peoples day kit! One of the advantages of being a squaddie, you quickly learn to live quite comfortably with what you carry on your back.