Pop ups/wafters

Been using:

14mm premier wafters "pear drops" flavour.

6-18mm home made Premier pop up (white) "pear drops" flavour.

Same again in pink.

14mm Cell pop ups (sorry!) :P

8mm Essential B5 pop ups.

10mm shellfish B5 pop ups.

18mm Nutrabaits bunspice pop ups.

12mm Source pop ups.

12mm Source bottom baits.

14mm Grange pop ups.

14mm Red plum pop ups.

14mm Premier matrix + cranberry pop ups.

14mm Richworth tutti fruitti pop ups.

10mm Pineapple pop ups.

Sure ive missed something out...

I like to have a big selection of baits in differing sizes, flavours and colours in order to ring the changes if required. Lost count of the times ive swapped hookbaits and nicked a bite when the going gets tough. My main go to baits are the white/pink premier pop ups and shellfish B5 pop ups, 1st two 20's of this season have been out on Cell (only done 7hrs over 2 sessions and had 2 20's, one each session.)

:rolleyes:

I can honestly say, I have never caught a fish on a 'wafter' hookbait.

I may have caught fish on critically balanced hookbaits, snowman, pop-ups and a bottom bait balanced or even a pop-up weighted so that it sinks under the weight of the hook and hooklink/putty, or that over weighted pop-up, but I have never ever put a wafter on the hook on its own. 

I try to get the fish accepting a food bait, so that the hookbait is just knocked back. Or I feed a food bait and then fish a food bait and pop-up over it, (bottom bait and a foodish pop-up).

That may be my pop-up is a squid and octopus, monster crab or even my garlic spice hookbait, and the food bait is the bottom bait. It works for me, so others may experience different results, so I'm not saying I'm right, but this time, I'm RIGHT :lol:

I try to match to some extent a dull bottom bait with the pop-up, nothing mega bright as the top bait on a snowman. I have tried using a bright pop-up, and not caught on them, even if the fish are feeding on the food bait, almost as if the high visibility puts them off and spooks them.

Bravo! Great idea. I have been considering how to use a good bait on a zig. Seems so obvious now!

I've used pop-ups in combination before.

I'll also enjoy drinking more wine in order to get some cork! Cheers!

Wine. Cork. Now this really makes some sense. Our nearest Offlicence is much, much nearer than the nearest tackle shop. :idea:

Thank you.

Ian

Wine. Cork. Now this really makes some sense. Our nearest Offlicence is much, much nearer than the nearest tackle shop. :idea:

Thank you.

Ian

...and I'm sure the hint of any left over wine steeped into the cork will be a great attractor! The fish will probably be weaving all of the place after though! :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

Only managed one productive trip this season so far, this week actually. Had 3 carp all to Krill wafters fished with a tiny PVA mesh bag of pellets. Baited approx. 2kg of standard krill boilies. Also fished white krill pop ups and buch berry pop ups but didn't get a touch on them so ended up with all 3 rods on the wafters and pellet mesh set up. Also accounted for 12 tench, 1 bream and a rudd!

Im a big fan of using a pop up with a small shot on the hair .

Cant remember what they call it tbh but its the xxx again .

They tend to love it and i cant say its ever accounted for anything smaller than a double :)