Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
peg101

Spring Campaign on Japan`s Lake Suigetsu

I`ve just got back from a 10 day session which was the end of around 1 month`s activity on the Mikata 5 Lakes area in Japan. It was a fantastic campaign with a new weight PB (20kg), 2 x 40s and 10 x 30s caught. As the fishing deteriorated for the last few days I moved around the big lake and then finally to Lake Yogo for 1 night and managed 5 bites from there for another 3 x 30s!

I`ve moved from a written style of blog to a The-Carp-Catcher/Jim Shelley/Kevin Ellis video format and I`m uploading the first 2 parts to You Tube now. These 2 parts are me basically fishing around the Mikata lakes whilst preparing a swim for my holiday. I think part 3 will be a bit of an instructional/info focused film on the pre-baiting and with footage from around the lakes.

I need to edit the rest of the camera and video glasses footage together to make the remaining parts and I think that is going to take me quite some time! I`ll try and get 1 uploaded per week. My intention, as always, was to give an impression of carp fishing in Japan and whilst I`ve managed to do this to a certain extent, the fishing was unbelievable and nothing like carp fishing in Japan is normally!

I look forward to sitting down and watching em when i get the time mate , have to say i really enjoyed your last diary/blog so lets say im expectant :)

This looks really interesting.

I've loading it into my cache for the train journey home tonight.

The camping car looks brilliant!

.......not sure what happened to the end of that post. I'm going to guess that Apple's incompatibility with anything none Apple has thwarted me again (I'm finding I-movie painful if you can't guess). I'd welcome any constructive feedback on the films before I get too far into editting the remaining footage. I can't do much about the wind noise, car noise or footage itself but I can edit it differently .

Nice stuff Adam.

Out of interest, how much are you prebaiting with?
Mikata looks much smaller in the video than I thought it would, its practically a puddle.

Longing for that 3 acre farm lake full of mirrors...
Cheers,
James

Edited by carpy_james

I just finished watching them, great stuff typical reaction...

36 minutes into the second movie, the Japanese guys 2nd question after "have you caught something" is "will you eat it?" Sashimi (raw fish, ie not cooked).

A bit more chat about eating it and the other carp from the lake...

Adam says its about 50cm, the guy says its "big". Adam says 1m + is big.
He then says Adam`s Japanese is good, and asks him if hes a teacher, to which Adam says hes an engineer.

Japanese translation endeth :)

Edited by carpy_james

Really interesting to watch - I'm not sure what I was expecting, but apart from the scenery and the car / van, you could be fishing in the UK! Same tactics / rigs / tackle / bait!

Interesting Adam, have you tried substituting the pellets for peanuts (not tons of them), I have found pellets are just eaten by black bass pretty quickly, as bass are usually pellet reared in Japan.
Ive seen them clear out 5kg of pellets on Fuji 5 lakes in a matter of minutes

Carpy James, i used peanuts for the last 2 years but didn`t use them this year as they are another thing to prepare, are quite expensive to buy and don`t bind the mix like pellets can.  Later in this session I was letting the pellets break down so that i could just ball up the mix.

Whilst there are some sea bass, these lakes don`t have a bass bass / blue gill problem like other lakes do (yet!).  And i`m not worried about getting cleaned out by those fish; the hera-buna are more of a problem to be honest but must be helping to keep the peg clean.

I thought that bass were an invasive species in Japan and couldn`t be reared or stocked here?

Part 4 is up now, there are some fish in this one!

It will take me longer to get the next parts up as I was editting the first parts whilst i was fishing and the next parts are still raw footage.

"

I thought that bass were an invasive species in Japan and couldn`t be reared or stocked here?
"

Isnt it the same for us Brits? :)
Yes they have been designated as such a few years ago but theyre still VERY plentiful over this side.

Peanuts can be bought for about 4000 yen a 20kg sack, its like everything finding the things.

If you want some proper trout pellets I can get them for 6000 yen a 20kg sack (but theyre 3mm), again not easy to find here.

If I were you Adam, I wouldnt bother with trying to bind it for the kind of distance your putting it out.
Id use a groundbait spoon on a landing net pole, it will get as far (as long as its all wet) and take a fraction of the effort/time than spodding.

Its good determination though, and you deserve to catch a load.
By the way Im going to Yogo with Chris next Friday for the weekend if your up for it.

We used a long spoon in Chris` peg as there was nothing in his mix to bind it but chucking in mini-football sized balls was much faster for me. 

I think i`m going to Yogo next weekend, not sure if it will be the Friday night after work or on Saturday morning yet.  Guess i`ll see you there.

Mouths were all good.  A couple had torn dorsal fins but i don`t think they see the bank very often, if ever.

Part 6 is up now.  This has lots of fish including the fish from thumb nail picture at 20kg.  It is a bit longer than the others as well as i got a lot of the carnage on the video glasses / camera.  There are a couple of screaming takes in there as well.

http://youtu.be/gNs-zs4Q26A

Great stuff Adam, your making it look easy.

These are the not the sort of lakes you can rock up to and expect to catch on a short 5 hour session.

Not sure if you know about this tool...

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

I was playing about with it last night and roughly tracing the water outline on google maps Suigetsu is 1050 acres (ish).

I will watch the latest one later...

Just watched the last one.

Unbelievable!!
Great stuff Adam

I remember a similar session on my own where I had 4 20s and 2 30s in an afternoon, and similar carnage.
I too just ended up looking to the stars laughing.

9000 miles from home, in a totally foreign country thinking what the heck do I do now (nets full of fish, one on the mat), no one to take photos...

The scary thing is Id bet good money theres fish in that lake 1.5 times the weight of the 40 you had.

Well done mate!!!

PS interesting the time you had the fish, a lot of guys in Tokyo, dont even fish the afternoons because you cant get a bite (yea right!!)
Do you find the lakes fish better when its calmer out of interest?

Edited by carpy_james