starting fishing times

Hi guys, I had a discussion last night with my neighbour about what time to start a fishing session. I go fly fishing with him every fortnight at our local club and i'm always down the lake at the crack of dawn, I just cant hang about, I want to get down there. My neighbour will get up at say 6ish but its usually 9ish before he's at the lake [its only 10mins away] he cant see the point in rushing down early. Im taking my boy carping for the first time tomorrow at a local lake but he cant get to mine till 7 tomorrow morning and that's driving me crazy too as I wanted to be there at 5.

Anyway my question is what time do you guys like to start fishing if you were going for the day, the crack of dawn like me or do you like to come down later? 

When i was a kid i was always at the lake before it got light and would leave after dark if possible .

When your 12 , clambering on and off buses with all your gear is one thing but when your 52 ? :)

These days i have to rely on other people to pick me and my gear up so i am reliant on them for times etc.

I only ever fish 48 hr sessions nowadays so it doesnt really matter.

If i had to fish days only i probably would have give up fishing if the truth be told but if i was able to i would be arriving and departing in darkness ...

Edited by newmarket

When I fish Kingsbury I have to be there before it opens, as it is days only (these days) I’m out the house by 04.30 as they always open 10-20 mins earlier than stated on the board.
If I’m doing over-night and the next day, I don't mind getting there mid-morning to late afternoon.

Thanks guys, glad you all think the same as me, I was beginning to think im a numpty for getting down there so early! I just think if you get there early you get the choice of swims, hopefully anyway, and you cant beat watching the sun rise and the mist coming off the water :P

Well if im carping then sod getting there early in the morning, I would rather get their the night before! that way your more likely to get the swim you want (i will usually go on a Friday night) Also i find that because there has been next to no pressure on the lake during the week the carp are alot more active and jumping so easier to spot! you see everyone start turning up real early saturday morning and the race is on to find a swim. If i am doing a day only, i will just go as early as possible, Out the door by 4AM, im usually excited so cant sleep anyway hence usually getting to the bank the night before!

Going at 7 will be driving you mad i know how you feel, When i go to my dads club we dont get on until mid day but you book a swim in advance so you know your getting a spot at least! Just make the most of that session, If its a new lake then use the session to scout about, Speak to people etc!

Yesterday I was at the lake by 4am, I had to pack up at midday as I had my bike in for MOT early afternoon, once that was done, I was back in the car and back down the lake, packed up at 00:30 and home by 1am. 

Unfortunately only 5 fish all day, all doubles mind so I shouldn't complain.

But generally, I am there well before it gets light, 'Carpe Diem' as they say, 'seize the day' !!

I've joined that exclusive club of anglers that like to have a lie in,

I usually rock up at the lake around noon, look for a swim nearest the car park, if one is not available i'll slip in between two other anglers,

dump the gear down, open a few tinnies of super strength lager then start making camp,

Always use a proper hammer for bivvy pegs, none of those silly rubber mallets,

get the marker out and cover every inch of the lake in view, strangely enough the guys either side of me always seem to get a take whilst i do this, i must be bringing them luck although they seem to lose the fish when i bring the marker in.....noddies!!

Then i'll get the spod out and build an island out of particle and boilies knowing the carp will flock to my bait,

Hard work done, have another can, spark up a doobie and fall asleep with my alarms on full pelt to the next day,

god i love fishing :mrgreen:

I don't rush anymore, I'm not fishing day tickets now so I don't have the mad rush for a swim that produced last week. I tend to fish midweek too, leaving on Friday afternoon, usually with someone waiting to drop in the swim, watching them do the swim wait two step as they hop from foot to foot in frustration as I take 4 hours to pack up is really funny!

Depends on the season to some extent, if it's summer then I like to be fishing when the sun comes up.   If it's the middle of winter, no point hitting the water until the suns been up for a few hours and warmed the water a little in my opinion.

I love to be at the waters edge as early as possible, however I find it hard to get out of bed somedays, warm bed, hot wife lol

I think the mornings are ace though, so much going on, mist rising etc etc. 

Love it

Mist rising in your bed ? Didn't know you were incontinent ;-p