Bed habits of a carper

What I mean by that is, how do you settle down in you bedchair?: boots off, zipped up in your sleeping bag and warm, or keep your boots on and use the bag as an ill fitting duvet?

I favour the boots on and duvet option. Too many times I've been woken up by an alarm, tripped on the bag, got soggy socks and generally make a prat of myself to allow comfort to rule.

Interested to know what others do

Cheers, Paul

Couldn't sleep wearing shoes :?: just wierd.

I normally wear welly boots, or very loose fitting trainers, that in experience I put on without realising. When I had my old trakker big snooze, the zip was so unreliable I never did it all the way, it always got material caught in the zip. My fox flatlighter bag is very reliable though, I can zip it right up and get really comphy, and bust out in seconds.

I never shut the brolly door no matter how cold, unless rain is horizontal, and in good weather, sleep open fronted, so getting out is never an issue,

I fish a few swims that back right into cattle fields, and seem to have real mouse problems! My brolly has an inner door section you can unzip, it makes the door smaller, and a large step to get in, seems to keep them out to an extent.

I have two children's sized hot water bottles, that in cold weather go in the bag 20 mins before bed, one by the feet, one nearer the top.

I always sleep with my head torch round my neck and if pitch black, I flick it on and put it in my mouth to aim it to get to my rods :lol:

I always have everything in exactly the same position, and have for so long it's second nature.

Getting a good nights sleep is real important IMO. If I blank the night, I want to wake up refreshed with a posative attitude to want to find and move onto fish. Waking up still tired makes you miserable and fish badly!

Could never kip with me shoes on , you just cant get warm in the bag if you are fully clothed imo and o the rare occasion that i get a bite during the night eveything is semi organised :) so that i know where everything is . Bivvy open-ish unless its peeing down and bait buckets closed and off the deck if possible .

Leftover grub in the binbag outside the bivvy cos it keeps the flies and the rats off the old woman :)

Only joking :)

Edited by newmarket

Crocs ,................. :wink:  youll never see me in them things ..ummmm  well unless its during the night.

Excellent shoes or whatever you call them ,slip straight on no fuss .

Bag never zipped up summer/winter and the only time the front is on is if the rain is hammering in .

I've just recently had to purchase one of those levelite compact bedchairs, because I simply cannot get a good nights sleep on my bedchair of present. I've always put up with it due to caring more about weight and mobility than anything else but I've finally cottoned onto the fact you're less likely to pack up and move if you're half asleep (I average about 4hours max a night at the moment) than if you have an extra kilo in kit. I think I also need to stop drinking copious amounts of tea due to needing one or twenty too many toilet breaks in the night.

I must be getting old, time for a pair of slippers I think!

As for bed habits, I just take my shoes off and try to sleep.

Edited by jonezy

Sleep in my boxers in the summer, in a base layer in the winter.

Sleeping bag normally about 3/4 done up, can be less in the summer or more in the winter.

Bivvy door open on a warm summer's night but shut any other time (Unless I fall asleep while reading on my bed, which has been known on number of occasions).

Alarm remote and headtorch on the bivvy table next to the bed.

Pair of crocs on the mat ready to put on.

Everything is always in the same place so it's like second nature to grab / put on as soon as the eyes open; and no matter how many times it happens, the sound of my buzzer going off means I wake up wide awake with the blood and adrenaline pumping and all thoughts of sleep banished.

I hardly ever zip up the sleeping bag, it would have to be very cold out for me to do so, in that case, the lake would likely have frozen over.

I don't wear my boots or trainers in bed either. In summer I am quite happy sleeping barefoot, and if the ground is rough, then slipping into my trainers as I get up, or if it is not bad, then playing fish barefoot. In winter, socks in bed, and slip into the trainers. I have tried getting my boots on in winter as I get up to play a fish, and it can be an interesting exercise when you discover that you have got them the wrong way around :oops:  :roll:  :lol:

Isnt this what Bivvy slippers are made for? I guess it depends on the ground your standing on. I usually sleep door open, unless its hammering it down, Trainers on, with an unzipped sleeping bag. I tried last weekend to sleep without trainers on, was ok just make sure they are as loose as possible, take the laces out and im sure they will do the job fine!

You people (read: weirdo's) that sleep with your shoes, boot's or even waders on. Are you fishing up against snags or something? The extra couple of seconds it takes to put on a pair of shoes really shouldn't make that much of a difference unless you are. Sleeping with shoes on just baffles me :o

Edited by grangemilky

You people (read: weirdo's) that sleep with your shoes, boot's or even waders on. Are you fishing up against snags or something? The extra couple of seconds it takes to put on a pair of shoes really shouldn't make that much of a difference unless you are. Sleeping with shoes on just baffles me :o

In my case it was through experience. When I first started night fishing, I was in such a startled semi awake panic when the alarm went off I was trying to put boots on as I left the bivvy and invariably ended up on my face.

I'm somewhat calmer now so I'm going to give crocs a go. How sad is that - progressing to crocs!

That's what baitrunners are for, getting your wellies on. I'm going to have to get alarms with a receiver, there nothing like a long screaming run at 01.00 and having to get out of a tiny tent and reaching under your brolly for your boots.
I even managed to get my water proofs on for one fish the last time I was out

I've slept in waders in the past due to having to wade in weedy margins, where landing fish from the bank would be a major hassle. If the bank is dry, I'll sleep in just socks. ( and clothes).

Whilst on the point of clothing, I'll sleep in my waterproof coat if it's peeing down in the colder weather that is. Also in the winter I'll sleep in my winter clothing.

you

I've slept in waders in the past due to having to wade in weedy margins, where landing fish from the bank would be a major hassle. If the bank is dry, I'll sleep in just socks. ( and clothes).
Whilst on the point of clothing, I'll sleep in my waterproof coat if it's peeing down in the colder weather that is. Also in the winter I'll sleep in my winter clothing.

You would be much warmer if you used your bag as intended, and wore very minimal. Do you not sweat in your coat?

you

You would be much warmer if you used your bag as intended, and wore very minimal. Do you not sweat in your coat?

My sleeping bag is a Sundridge Heat Control, it's not very warm in the first place. I use a sleeping bag cover aswell in the winter. I think I've had this bag since 1998 lol.

Same as Hawkman . If I get a run and it pouring down and cold I want to be out ASAP stood there in clothing that's going to keep me dry and warm , not in a pair of Korda pyjamas