What is carp fishing

I have raised a few heckles with this before but for me, Carp fishing is static fly fishing, and by that I mean targeting Carp Bream or Tench, by fishing a bottom bait or a bait off the bottom. The reasons and ways of doing this are varied, with the general hope of mimicking a natural feeding area. Anyone that goes out carp fishing but don't mind the odd sturgeon or catfish whilst pouring scorn over Bream and Tench is a complete tool.

Carpbell, I don't get the reference to fly fishing?   I see carp as the complete opposite to fly fishing, to me carp fishing is sitting in front of some rods using bait that usually doesn't mimic carps natural food, laying a trap and waiting for a buzzer to go off.   I would relate it to trapping, whereas fly fishing I would liken to hunting...you're using a completely artifical 'lure' that mimics a fishes natural food and presenting it in as natual a way as possible and you're usually targetting sighted fish.  Plus it's very mobile, whereas carp fishing is usually very static.

Carpbell, I don't get the reference to fly fishing?   I see carp as the complete opposite to fly fishing, to me carp fishing is sitting in front of some rods using bait that usually doesn't mimic carps natural food, laying a trap and waiting for a buzzer to go off.   I would relate it to trapping, whereas fly fishing I would liken to hunting...you're using a completely artifical 'lure' that mimics a fishes natural food and presenting it in as natual a way as possible and you're usually targetting sighted fish.  Plus it's very mobile, whereas carp fishing is usually very static.

I can't show it, you have to be able to see it that way yourself and to plagiarise the Fox add slogan, it will give you the best edge money can't buy

Not being funny with that reply I will try to give a better explanation later, I’m real busy today, got a funeral this afternoon to attend. Plus the stupid git I just bought some end tackle off sent it signed on delivery, so I have to go to the post depo too, may as well pick my hemp up while I’m there too get it cooking for next week. On top of that, I need to go bivvy shopping, I’m trying to keep it below or on the £100 mark, so I’m looking at the JRC contact or the Vision one? No I didn't get left any dosh that I'm out spending after the funeral.

My immediate answer would be any method where you are targeting carp, be it rods sat on alarms, floating baits/stalking is carp fishing. This differs from other methods where you are fishing with a chance of catching a carp.

The most common method is rods on alarms, and the multitude of permutations this has: zigs, bolt rigs, running rigs, bottom baits, popups... but this is certainly not the only way to target carp.

Just my thoughts

Paul

Its not so much what i think , more how the general public and rest of the angling fraternity see carp fishing .

The common opinion is of blokes sitting on their backsides for days on end camping out behind alarms waiting .

Whereas we all know different .

To me carp fishing , along with the lucky so n so's who get to target barbel , is the ultimate challenge for the angler and there are SO many different ways and methods to do so .

Im sure i'll be corrected but i cant see that whilst targetting most other freshwater species .

To me it's actively hunting carp - simple as

I don't understand people sitting in their bivvies whilst carp are cruising past under their rod tips all day - what are they thinking (planning the blank).  Blaming the bait and looking up the latest wonder rig lol

I'll spare you the rant - but from what I'm seeing there are far far too many campers, but then that helps me!  So Cheers!

carp fishing is all in your head, its more an attitude than a past time. here is an example, you are sitting behind your rods (2) that are on a pod c/w alarms and droppers. your bivvi is behind you with door open and the kettle is on, in-spite of this pool being rammed with tench and bream you know that some "rodger" has slipped a couple of 30's into the lake and you are there to specifically target these fish. nestled on a hair rigged to your lovingly sharpened hook is a pineapple boilie popped up 3" from the bottom so that it wafts temptingly to trap your target. tench and bream love boilies and are picking up your bait regularly, so are you carp fishing?? HELL YEH :P :razz: :P

Carp fishing to me is spending time away from the wife and kids and just relaxing by the water.   Time to read a book, spend time with friends, take in the wildlife and the chance of putting a bend in the rod.

It's relaxing fishing.

I'm not always one for being sat behind a battery of rods although that seems to be how I spend most time, and I'm not a just carp angler; I'm happy targeting carp by floater fishing, stalking or the static approach, and I do the same for other species. Carp fishing seems to be the BIG fish approach, the current fishing fashion, not always the best, and often overcrowded with (carp) anglers.

I think that I do most of my fishing now wanting relaxation time, and the static approach is the easiest most relaxing way, so that draws me into the main crowd, which amuses, and annoys me, so I try to fish more difficult less crowded waters. 

Whatever the real answer, I just enjoy fishing, whatever time I have on the bank :wink:

and guess what,, my CARP fishing trip ended up being a PB tench of 7lb 8oz lol

089_zps57afa4c6.jpg

well chuffed :wink:

btw carpbell, whats the name of that nice looking water down in the corner of barston lake??

looks just right for a social :)

There are 4 pools and one lake at barston, the one in the far corner is called marsh pool, there are no pegs as it is over grown, you can fish it, but the club does not manage the pool they just let it grow more natural. there is the river too, some nice brown trout in there.