Spod and marker reels

I am and always will be a Shimano reel man. I love Daiwa but just choose to use Shimano..40+ yrs of carp fishing and I have never been let down.Now heres a bit of a change for me..Five years ago i was after a float reel for tench fishing. My local tackle shop sold me a Okuma Alumina, I was sold on the quality and line lay and it has never let me down. I needed some 6000 size reels recently and looked at secondhand Shims on Ebay but could not help but look at the Okuma Interceptor FD50 (no longer made). Decided to buy just one secondhand for 20 notes on the line of' if its crap just stick it back on ebay'. It was not it was just as I thought reel quality so i got another. Now, my Shimano spod reel was knackard and not surprising, its done the business for years. Now my mate who sea fishes almost every day uses Okuma Razors. About the same size as Shim big baitrunners. I looked at them and they are Two years old,handle 6 ounce leads and do it day in and day out. The retrieve is good and the line lay is excellent . They are about 17 quid on ebay..

I will never change from Shimano for my carp rods, but I have to say Okuma are spot on...and a reliable spod reel for 17 quid? Almost throw away money.

Have to agree, Okuma quality is spot on. When I got back into the sport about 8 years ago I was given a pair of Interceptors. I use these for sea fishing now, casting 4-5oz of lead over rough ground and they are still going strong.

I also have a couple of their boat rods. Brilliant bits of kit. If they'd had Daiwa or Shimano written on them they'd have cost twice as much.

Agree re the okuma reels of all styles i've owned over the years .

A lot of people pick up second hand daiwa emcasts for spodding too , daiwa reliablity on a relative small budget ...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had a look at the avo-spod Dal and i gotta say that at £30 each they look an absolute steal .

I know stevo uses mitchells for his fishing and swears by 'em and i like the look of the big avocasts too . See somebody using them when i was walking the lake last week and they look the biz ...

I have these reels for my spod/marker and been reasonably pleased so far when I've used them.

Erics bundle them with marker/spod rods with some braid for around £60 if memory serves me correct. Which is what I got them with. Incredible value for money I think. In time I'll probably upgrade but as a starter set can't fault them really and in no rush.