Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi everyone

I am after some help on the rig side of stalking. My normal rigs are made from mono. After a session this afternoon after work I could see that my rig was not sitting to well in such shallow water. So would a switch to braid be the way to go?

Many thanks phil

Hi everyone

I am after some help on the rig side of stalking. My normal rigs are made from mono. After a session this afternoon after work I could see that my rig was not sitting to well in such shallow water. So would a switch to braid be the way to go?

Many thanks phil

Hello mate , maybe yeh . What exactly do you mean by "not sitting well" ?

I think using a braid to match your marginal lake bed colouring could well be the way to go but for such close in work where you can see everything , it may be worth knocking up some fluorocarbon hooklengths as well .

Soft ghost is the one that i tend to use in very clear or bright conditions ....

Hello mate

Many thanks for getting back to me. When I lower my rig in which made up of 12 " of heavy tubing and a 1oz inline lead with a 10" mono hook link to a size 10 biggest t hook. The mono just seems to me to off the margin bottom. Is the rig above the right way to go? Or is there any other rig that is suited better for this type of fishing?

If you can see the rig from where you are then the carp probably can ....and you :)

So i would be trying to make your presentation as unobtrusive as possible in THIS situation .

That means ditching the tubing for starters and probably shortening the hooklink regardless of material .

Personally im not a fan of inline leads , prefering to use a running rig with a pendant lead on a run ring set up but there are plenty on here who will disagree , paticuarly in a stalking situation .

Therefore i'd like to suggest you have a butchers at joe morgans inline running rig video on you tube mate .

If you can see the rig from where you are then the carp probably can ....and you :)

So i would be trying to make your presentation as unobtrusive as possible in THIS situation .

That means ditching the tubing for starters and probably shortening the hooklink regardless of material .

Personally im not a fan of inline leads , prefering to use a running rig with a pendant lead on a run ring set up but there are plenty on here who will disagree , paticuarly in a stalking situation .

Therefore i'd like to suggest you have a butchers at joe morgans inline running rig video on you tube mate .

Hi everyone

Many thanks phil

Hello mate

Many thanks for getting back to me. When I lower my rig in which made up of 12 " of heavy tubing and a 1oz inline lead with a 10" mono hook link to a size 10 biggest t hook. The mono just seems to me to off the margin bottom. Is the rig above the right way to go? Or is there any other rig that is suited better for this type of fishing?

As has been said, ditch the tubing, and maybe even the inline lead, the lead may be sinking in to the lakebed, and forcing the hooklink to lift up from the mainline join.

I used to do a lot of stalking, and very rarely used a lead at all, preferring to fish a float lift method, or even freelining. With stalking on many (maybe most?) occasions you can see the fish, so can see when the hookbait has been taken, although if they are fizzing up on the lakebed you can lose sight of it, which is probably why I went back to the float. 

It was very rare I used anything other than mono for my hooklinks, fishing straight through with the mainline when freelining, or a lighter hooklink when fishing the lift. I would mould putty around the hooklink join, or sometimes a shot on one of the knot tag ends; the shot held in place with a granny knot at the end of the tag (not on the mainline or hooklink as shot can crimp and damage the line). 

Also welcome to Carp.com

Hello everyone.

First of can I please say thank you for your replys

to my question on stalking rigs. It is all good advice which I will take on board and let you know how I get along.

Also may I say it is good to know there are people out there willing to help out. I have been on other forums just to be told I am a noddy for asking that question. I have had a 22 year break from carp fishing(and it has changed a lot believed me) because I was serving in the military.

Once more thank you all for your time and believe me there no doubt be some more questions I will need help on.

Keep up the good work carp.com

All the best phil

Try a sinking braid, rubbed over a lump of tungsten putty.  The tungsten really can help.

Or try little mouse droppings of putty on the hooklink.

Many thanks mate, I will give it a go I feel that

a move to braid would be the right move.

Just come back from the lake I am fishing to bait a few areas ready for tommorow and the is a fair of bits in the margin. What type of sinking braid would you go for? Would you up the hook size swell I am on esp big t in a 10.

All the best

Hello johnplumb,

Thanks for that different angle on my question. I was a fan of mono hook links before my break from carping. I think after all the pointers and tips that I have been give over the last 2 days I have a plan of attack for tomorrows trip.

Once more thanks for your help.

Phil

Hello johnplumb,

Thanks for that different angle on my question. I was a fan of mono hook links before my break from carping. I think after all the pointers and tips that I have been give over the last 2 days I have a plan of attack for tomorrows trip.

Once more thanks for your help.

Phil

Mono rigs worked then, and will likely work even now.

As for asking the question, then it is not a noddy question, in fact many anglers, carp anglers or otherwise rarely stalk the fish they are fishing for, although in my case, I must admit that stalking is my favourite way of fishing; from freelining dog biscuits, for carp and chub, at times able to choose which fish I put my bait to (if you have seen one of my local waters and the post about floater fishing, you may be able to understand why), to dropping worms or slugs under their noses, again for carp and chub, or even fishing the float lift method for carp and tench. 

With the float you can lengthen the hooklink length as you need. There are times when a 15centimetre hooklink will work, but others when you do need to lengthen it to 30centimetres or maybe more. Again, I express a preference for mono for these, I'm not comfortable fishing braid as a hooklink when stalking, don't know why, may be just me, and in the past I have fished it, but just feel more comfortable with mono.

As for hook size, use what you think is right, at times I will use a small hook, but others have gone up to a size 2 at times.

I try to match the hook size to bait more than anything, so if I'm using sweetcorn, a couple of grains, then a 10 may be best, but  a piece of breadflake or crust can easily be hidden in a size 2, come to that, a big slug or lobworm can also cover a size 2 as well, and I have had chub and carp pick them up.

Hello salokcinnodrog,

Many thanks for your input on my question. I understand that every carper has their own idea on how to appoach all our problems we come across when we go fishing.so far all the advice i have been given has been received with open arms and ears,once more thankyou all.

Just one more question if you guys do not mind!!!

I am using mixture of 2,4 and 6mm trout pellets, hemp, sweet corn to bait up my margin spots then I am fishing maize as my hook bait. Do you think this approach is OK? I have had a few carp up to 17lbs. I do not think a move to boilies would be the way go because no uses them on the lake as you are not allowed to loose feed them. Very few

anglers fish here but the ones that do go after the Tench and Bream. The carp that I have caught so far have been on small PVA bags, but after seen so many carp in the margins I thought it would be rude not to target them in these areas.

Take care all and tight lines for the weekend.

Phil

You've caught fish up to 17lbs mate so your not doing a LOT wrong but i would be careful how much trout pellet you sling in because it aint good for the carps health long term .

Using the search will bring up some threads explaining and duscussing exactly why .

Good luck to you my friend :)

Evening Newmarket

I will have a look at the threads you mentioned, so would switching to a normal carp pellet be a better item to use? Sorry to show may ignorance about trout pellets, just it was something I was using a long time before I gave up carp fishing in (time to show age!!!) 1985!

Thanks for the info mate

Phil

As mr plumb said phil , the odd handful probably wont hurt but as i said , not a great diet long term .

and from what i read , i didnt know :)

Edited by newmarket

If I'm stalking, my preferred tactic is also free-lining. 

Less disturbance that way.

I'd also use a fluoro hooklength.

As suggested, a little bit of rig putty wouldn't go astray if you need to get the bait out a little further than free-lining will allow.. I find Kryston Heavy Metal Plus to be a really good one, much better than Korda dark matter (which is the other one I have tried but find the Kryston sticks like poo to a blanket).

Lob it in, sit well back, and watch the line where it enters the water.

About as exciting as fishing can get. I love it

:wink:

Hello smufter mate,

Thank for info mate, I will look out for the heavy metal putty. Just quick question for do you use hooks with straight eyes when you use flouro hooklinks?

Phil

Hello mate, and welcome.

I haven't used it myself yet, but this has got stalking written all over it to me :wink:

Dal , i have some ready made solar hooklinks made out of that stuff . Yet to use any though ...