Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

This rain is seriously doing my head in,it doesn't normally bother me but the last four outings its been almost biblical,soaked right through setting up and it just carries on and on until you have to pack down again 48hrs later and then attempt to dry everything at home,if it stops for long enough!!I must be getting soft in my old age,but it really grinds me down being bivvy bound and constantly damp and caked it mud,i like to sit out occasionally and enjoy the atmosphere of my chosen venue,rains never stopped me going before but i'm that fed up with being soaked that i'm thinking of becoming a fair weather angler....god forbid,lol :rolleyes:  :shock:

Turned up to a lake in late October just before dark, got absolutley drenched to the bone and freezing cold. Sleeping bag wet, inside bivvy wet, no change of clothes. (It's about half a mile walk to the first swim on the lake from where you can park on the road)

Went home about an hour after arriving.

I do however love the noise of rain on the bivvy, tucked up inside dry, and find that just after a heavy rain storm in the Summer is a good time for a bite.

Edited by sharpy86

I do however love the noise of rain on the bivvy, tucked up inside dry, and find that just after a heavy rain storm in the Summer is a good time for a bite.

Strange you should say that. My dad's always preferred going late PM in the summer, usually about 4, and preferably after a decent summer shower.

I went with him about 6 years ago one Sat PM after a big downpour. We'd both been out of fishing for a decade or 2. We both had 13lb fish that day. PBs for both of us on corn over hemp.

Now I just need to get my car dry. If any of you have a Passat B5 or B5.5 model, you will know what I'm talking about. Had 1/2 an inch of water in the rear passengers side foot well. That's a design fault if ever there was one.

Strange you should say that. My dad's always preferred going late PM in the summer, usually about 4, and preferably after a decent summer shower.

I went with him about 6 years ago one Sat PM after a big downpour. We'd both been out of fishing for a decade or 2. We both had 13lb fish that day. PBs for both of us on corn over hemp.

Now I just need to get my car dry. If any of you have a Passat B5 or B5.5 model, you will know what I'm talking about. Had 1/2 an inch of water in the rear passengers side foot well. That's a design fault if ever there was one.

Ford Fiesta's are the same, if it ain't the boot rubbers, the door rubbers soon give, it's time for the scrappy when the bulk head goes, that's when a ford really floods. see why they are called Ford. Ba dum tish.

Just got back from 3 nights - constant rain, tried 3 different swims chasing fish, everything soaked including the dog who then jumps on the bed getting it all filthy.

Finally got a run on the last afternoon after putting 10k on one spot in a final attack, and the hook pulled!!!

Now the kit is spread all round the house drying.

All that hard work and just a kick in the teeth to show for it- hate fishing! :wink:

Its not the getting wet that bothers me, Its the condition of the swims after heavy rain. My local lake was very dangerous last week. I slide 5 yards down a steap muddy bank and nearley landed in 6 ft of water, It was a tree branch that saved me a last ditch attempt to avoid the plunge in the water. I just kept sliding down the bank and had no way of stopping. So i put my hand out and caught hold of ths tree branch at the waters edge. A lucky escape :confused: :confused: :confused:

Oh and i was the only person at the lake on that day, and i can not swim :oops: :oops: :oops:

Edited by fudgecat

I do not fish in the rain, absolutely not.

I generally check weather forecasts before I set out and if it states that it will rain a t a certain time, I'll be packed up and gone before then.

I spent 25 years getting wet on some of Her Majesties finest warships, and I had no choice whether I got wet or not, now I have the choice.

I am semi-employed now and therefore can fish more or less when I want

I do not fish in the rain, absolutely not.

I generally check weather forecasts before I set out and if it states that it will rain a t a certain time, I'll be packed up and gone before then.

I spent 25 years getting wet on some of Her Majesties finest warships, and I had no choice whether I got wet or not, now I have the choice.

I am semi-employed now and therefore can fish more or less when I want

RAS at night, in a storm. Nothing better!!!!!

RAS at night, in a storm. Nothing better!!!!!

At least I was getting paid for that

I've been the highpointman on some of the best RAS' s in the world lol

i love fishing in the rain, grass smells sweet, shelter smells,musty, fish feed more, bag em up i say....

Cant say i mind the rain too much although its not very pleasant if you get soaked while you're setting up .

Welcome to the forum by the way :)