Lewis came up to mine at the weekend to fish as a guest on one of the mere's. We had a few laughs and a few interesting occurrences. The link was just one of them:

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2014/05/29/oswestry-anglers-net-kingfisher-in-rescue-mission/

I will post a few pictures up when I get chance.

Lewis came up to mine at the weekend to fish as a guest on one of the mere's. We had a few laughs and a few interesting occurrences. The link was just one of them:

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2014/05/29/oswestry-anglers-net-kingfisher-in-rescue-mission/

Thats a lovely story nige .look forward to seeing the piccies.

We had a similar experience with a woodpecker that our cat had got hold of .

One of the reasons that i think cats are a waste of fur , they dont even eat their victims just torture them.

Anyway we had to drive 10 miles to the nearest animal hospital to get it seen to . There were EIGHT other woodpeckers there with similar injuries AND they expected us to pay :)

We didnt mind in the circumstances but you can understand why some nasty people would have ignored the injured bird.

They were really nice people at the hospital and emailed me several pics during "woody"'s recovery .

And they only manage to keep going via donations.

Amazing stuff really.

Top respect Mr Woodcock. The wildlife we share with deserves this and more.

I was once spodding at range, and hadn't noticed that a duckling had come into the area to feed on probably some floating hemp. Somehow I managed to hit the thing with my spod :cry:

After a while the bird which could no longer swim properly drifted into the edge of the bank where we was fishing. We netted it, and I took it to the local vets to be told at my real disappointment it had a broken leg, and the best course of action was to put it down. It put a real downer on the whole trip.

I'm fortunate enough to have fished and spent many hours of banktime with Nige and Lewis.They are cracking people, both, so I'm not the least surprised by this tale of true kindness and care.

Is there a living person who doesn't just love Kingfishers? I think not and like to think that the parents of the saved mite are now rather fond of humans.

Ian

And they all have great pleasure doing things like putting feed down for the ducks and swans outside my brolly whilst I sleep! I feel like a prisoner sometimes!!!!

I'm sure I don't know what you mean Nige, we'd never do such a thing, duck just seem to be attracted to you mate :D