Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
We5ty

Wychwood Exorcist 65's - Views?

Hi, not being super wealthy or a complete tackle tart, I'm looking for some big pit's with freespool/baitrunner and the Wychwood Riots/Exorcist's seem to have some pretty decent reviews and at £55 ea are very reasonable.

I don't care for big names for the sake of it, I'm fishing not in a fashion show, but believe in buying decent quality; buy once and the right tool for the job if you catch my drift.

So am I likely to regret getting three of these?

OK, that's interesting as I'd not come across complaints of that nature in the reviews I'd seen. Are yours older versions, as apparently there is a marked difference between newer Wychwood's and one of a couple years ago?

Cheers.

You wont thank me for this and smufter will laugh BUT i have heard some iffy stuff about wychwood reels in general , i think there may be a couple of threads on here that mention it .

For your budget you could get a couple of good reliable daiwa big pits fir your money second hand .

All you have to do is live without that freespool facility and a 5 minute tutirial will sort that out :)

Thanks Newmarket (see I did thank you lol)

So there are mixed views on the Wychwoods, damn it, why is nothing ever straight forward!

I'm OK with used, provided they are mint condition. I'm a bit OCD like that and take care of my stuff (you wouldn't think my 20+ year old GT 6010's were anything but new).

Trouble is, when you are looking at used, there is a massive array of reels to consider and everyone seems to have a different view on which ones, bit of a nightmare really.

I've seen the QD conversion video (spring removal) and whilst I would prefer baitrunners/freespool etc, I guess I could live without it for the right quality reels.

What is your recommendation Newmarket?

Cheers.

OK, that's interesting as I'd not come across complaints of that nature in the reviews I'd seen. Are yours older versions, as apparently there is a marked difference between newer Wychwood's and one of a couple years ago?

Cheers.

they possibly are mate, I brought them second hand last year at £35, served there cause for the money I paid.

My mates got a pair of Crosscast X, cracking reel for the money. Personally im not a fan of QD but for the money he paid there a cracking reel

Thanks Newmarket (see I did thank you lol)

So there are mixed views on the Wychwoods, damn it, why is nothing ever straight forward!

I'm OK with used, provided they are mint condition. I'm a bit OCD like that and take care of my stuff (you wouldn't think my 20+ year old GT 6010's were anything but new).

Trouble is, when you are looking at used, there is a massive array of reels to consider and everyone seems to have a different view on which ones, bit of a nightmare really.

I've seen the QD conversion video (spring removal) and whilst I would prefer baitrunners/freespool etc, I guess I could live without it for the right quality reels.

What is your recommendation Newmarket?

Cheers.

Ahhh now thats the problem im nowhere near an expert on reels , far far from it .

I just know that from 40 years of coarse fishing you cant beat daiwa for quality and durability , even second hand . I use the daiwa emcast evo's at the moment , far from top of the range. Ut they do what i want them to do u cos im always on a budget . I know that when i Can upgrade they can always be used for spod or marker rod or as ultra reliable spare reels .

Shimano have their admirers but never having been there i cant comment .

Mind you say goes for the wychwood except i have seen mixed reviews and just thought i'd pass em on .

I've been using Wychwood Riot 65's for the last three years or so and can't really fault them for the money. Just as a point of interest, I've never had the line go behind the spool. One of them did make a few strange noises when cranking really hard under load (trying to stop a fish taking me round an island), but other than that, no problems whatsoever!

I didn't like the shiny bits though, so I've now changed them to Penn Affinity 7000 black, which seem to be bloody awesome!

You wont thank me for this and smufter will laugh BUT i have heard some iffy stuff about wychwood reels in general

I wouldn't laugh at you mate. I have heard various reports about Wychwood reels in general. Some complimentary, some not so good! All I can add is that my new ACS 10 reels seem to be performing well. I love the look of them, the line lay is very good, and everything seems to work fine on them. I only bought them because I wanted something slightly bigger than the 3500 Daiwa's I had as I had beefed up my rods. These fit the criteria.

I have had the line go under one of my spools once, the first day I used them. "Oh no" I thought, these are pups....but I've not had the problem since. I think it was my cack handedness.  

Edited by smufter

OK, so I'm coveting 3 used Daiwa Tournament Entoh 5500 with spare spools and look in great condition. Priced at £350 ono

Should I, shouldn't I??????

Yes I'm well aware these are not Wychwood's and considerably more than what I was looking at paying, but I've wasted enough time on trying to find some reels that I need to make a decision as it's probably costing me more in wasted time!!!

I wouldn't laugh at you mate. I have heard various reports about Wychwood reels in general. Some complimentary, some not so good! All I can add is that my new ACS 10 reels seem to be performing well. I love the look of them, the line lay is very good, and everything seems to work fine on them. I only bought them because I wanted something slightly bigger than the 3500 Daiwa's I had as I had beefed up my rods. These fit the criteria.

I have had the line go under one of my spools once, the first day I used them. "Oh no" I thought, these are pups....but I've not had the problem since. I think it was my cack handedness.

Ihello smuft , i really have to learn to keep out of threads like this . Its not fair of me to put doubts into peoples minds when i have no first hand experience of said item....

Having said that , i read it so felt compelled to pass on the info . Im glad your wychwoods are working out for you :)

OK, so I'm coveting 3 used Daiwa Tournament Entoh 5500 with spare spools and look in great condition. Priced at £350 ono

Should I, shouldn't I??????

Yes I'm well aware these are not Wychwood's and considerably more than what I was looking at paying, but I've wasted enough time on trying to find some reels that I need to make a decision as it's probably costing me more in wasted time!!!

Hello westy , firstly please read my reply to smufter above . Secondly , again no first hand experience of the entohs except to say that i hear good things (which im sure will be confirmed in Other replies) about them and i would never advise anybody against buying a daiwa reel :)