Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi all, I took up carp fishing around Bristol/Somerset after a 35 year lay off from general fishing when I retired 2 years ago, I've been lucky and had a few good carp but I have found it hard to get to grips with a few bits and pieces one of which is spod/spomb. I have 20ib ( floating ) braid line on the reel and a 4.5 Tc rod that a mate gave me; I attempted it on Tue's and cracked of twice ( felt a right narna ) I was clipped up; do I need a shock leader and if so what leader should I use?

I could do with a bit of help. Thanks John. :oops:

Tbh im no expert on spodding but yes i believe you will need a shockleader .

Someone who knows more will be along soon :)

Welcome to the sanitarium by the way :)

wow, cracked off 20lb braid :shock:  you must be built like arnie with an attitude like chuck norris :lol:

i presume you have a marker float or other feature that you are chucking your spom at? If, as you feel the pull of the line as it hits the clip just dip the tip of the rod a smidgin and it will soften the blow. thereby hopefully ending the crack offs :wink:

if you find that your overcasting by dipping the rod just unclip whilst cast out, reel in a couple turns clip up again and your good to go

If arnie is short fat and bald then yes, if not no.  I think I dipped the rod but maybe I didn't; I did wait for it to hit the clip that's when it cracked off, it was only around 50-60 yards. I have to use a far bank marker and bank sticks as I don't have a spare rod for a marker float.

Short distance 50-60 yards the lake wasn't very big; I clipped up the distance from a bare lead and used distance sticks to clip up the distance I think I dipped the rod but can't be sure know.

Short distance 50-60 yards the lake wasn't very big; I clipped up the distance from a bare lead and used distance sticks to clip up the distance I think I dipped the rod but can't be sure know.

when the line hits the clip the weight of the spod has a tendency to jerk at the rod. when the spod is traveling at speed, if you offer resistance to this jerking motion (hold back on the rod) that is when the crack off occurs, I.E. braid = no stretch + weight (spod) + impetus = summats gotta give :wink: dipping the rod or allowing it to be pulled by the spod for even a short way has the same effect as brakes on a fast moving car, gradually slowing to a nice gentle plop and spods your uncle :lol:

Generally the advice from more experienced members is for every ounce of weight you need ten times that in breaking strain when casting to your limit.

If using braid you should double that due to the lack of stretch so at a 20lb braid you probably putting too much stress on yoir set up. If I'm using a spod I use 12lb casting line to a 50lb armakord leader with 5-6 turns on the reel with a 6foot drop. I've had no issues with the above set up.

Thanks for reply, I have had some good advice and one thing I am going to try, but I still don't know if it would be worth me putting a shock leader onto the 20lb braid I have on the reel or if it's not needed?

Thanks John.

Welcome to Carp.com

Cracking off with 20lb braid and a spod/spomb  is NOT uncommon, and comes from what may be the misconception that braid is best for spodding. Braid has absolutely minimal stretch, so as it hits the clip, all  the momentum goes into the line, leaving you holding a spodless rod, and it is even worse if you are having to hard cast to get a short distance with the line clipped up.

I had the same problem years ago, but a switch back to (8 to 10lb) mono with a 60lb shockleader ( sea fishing) cured it. It also meant I stopped having to replace rod eyes, where the braid had worn grooves in them as it was retrieved under tension (a spod nearly always comes in tight).

The other issue with braid as your spodding line, when it is wet, and you make a miscast, it can rip the flesh off your fingers, so if you do decide that braid is best, always wear a finger stall. As said, whatever, use a shock leader with it.

Thanks, I have had some good advice from the forum on this; the braid is already spooled up so it will have to stay for a while; I will see how I get on with it. I will be getting a shock leader and also see if I can't improve my casting.

John.

I dont think a shockleader will make any difference. If you read his posts, the crack off is happening when he hits the clip. A shockleader will only take the force at the start of the cast. He is not cracking off at this point so what is the need for an extra knot in the setup? 20lb braid will do you fine straight through for the distance you are fishing. Following through with the rod just before impact and perhaps feathering the line slightly will help massively. Just watch with the feathering if you are using a spomb as it can cause the spomb to land flat and not nose first. This can lead to it not opening up as intended. With a spod however, this would make less of a disturbance in the water which could be of benifit to you!

i only use 15lb mono on my spod (no shock leader. never seen the need for them truthfully) and not had a crack off yet :shock:

as nige said feather down and dip your rod, only takes a few goes to get it right :wink: