Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tancho321

Carping again!

I fell out of love with fishing back in November last year and despite a brief encounter I hadn't touched my kit since. I had blanked for two seasons on my water, yet was catching on others I was going to. Couldn't get my head around it and really needed to get my head in the right place as it was getting me down, especially hearing all the regulars relaying their catch reports and how they never seemed to blank.

Anyhow, after a break the bug is back and I have renewed the membership, stocked up on the bait and decided to try new rigs out. Friday is the first session and I am praying for at least a run over the weekend to provide even just a glimmer of hope. Have decided to give solid bags (quite a weedy water) and zigs a go. Never tried them before as never had the confidence but feel I have to try something different. Anyone got any useful tips on either please?

You're question is rather broad.

I'd advocate the Fox Rapide PVA Bag System.

Are you intending to fish an adjustable zig or a fixed zig?

If the latter, I always have a good few different length zig tied up ready to go (I use the Avid Zig Box)

I also think that the Fox Edges Zig Aligners are a fantastic invention, with the foam soaked in  goo (Flame suit on :wink:) or another dip of your choice.

Edited by dalthegooner

Sorry should have been more specific. Yep, adjustable zig. Have got my foam soaking in goo as we speak (not the same sort of goo that a certain man with glasses produces, before the flames start getting thrown! [emoji12]) I have had them dipped in pineapple pellet soak that I picked up last year.

With regard to the bags. I intended to get some prepared before I went and wanted to have pellet, chilli hemp and mixed seed in them. Will they be ok on the bag the day before or will it melt please?

I have got the taska bag system which is similar to the fox one I believe (freebie from the Mrs!), but not thought about the Zig Aligners. Thanks for that.

Edited by tancho321

If your pre-made PVA bags / sticks contain oil or salt then they may not melt for far too long once they hit the water, however, if they contain 'untreated' water then they may melt in your tackle box.

I think that it is always better to make your PVA products on the day as you need them.

With regards specifically to bags, I always have my hookbait and lead inside the bag so only make them as I use them. I don't like having either my weight or hookbait outside the bag so won't make them in advance.

I to make them up on the bank and it doesn't take much time. I bought the fox rapide pva system and used it for the first time this weekend. Found it much easier to fill than the korda ones I had used previously. Although the korda scoop still came in handy.

Like Dal everything goes inside the pva bag. I first dust of the lead, line and bait in some ground bait and betaine powder to get everything dry, then when filling add a squirt of liquid like feed stim or corn steep liquor with a 3ml pipette and leave to soak for a few minutes.

If you're using liquids like that, then tie as you go would be my advice.

Over the weekend I switched between small pva mesh parcels just nicked on the hook and solid bags. To give you an example I was giving the pva mesh a little liquid covering and when underarming a cast into position I dropped the line, quickly reeled in and still managed to get it out before it dissolved. When a friend did it with just the pva mesh his bag disintegrated almost instantly. The longer the liquid is in the pva, the more it will make its way into the material and take longer to melt.