Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
sgart

Light Tackle setup

I am in the phase when Ive realized that even though its very funny having loads of gear its killing my back bringning half a ton of gear doing overnighters. 
So Its more and more interresting for me to consider lightening up my gear. Ive allready simply skipped a lot of stuff I normally bring and Ive gone to allways just bring the baits/popups I will use and simply pre-bait with whats left (not pop-ups obviously) for the next session before I leave. 

What is your best tips when It comes to what to bring and what to skip. Which products really help bringing the weight down and so on. I am considering buying titan or perhaps even better carbon banksticks since Ive come to notice my stainless ones proberly weigh some kilos...

Ive sold one of my bedchairs and will most likely switch it for a JRC X-lite bedchair. 

Edited by sgart

Get a barrow, you probably can still rid yourself of some of the gear and get a chair with wheels on it. I've got both and prefer the chair option.

Choose somewhere that you can park close by.

The number of times I've gone and left stuff at home only to need it!

I am in the phase when Ive realized that even though its very funny having loads of gear its killing my back bringning half a ton of gear doing overnighters.

So Its more and more interresting for me to consider lightening up my gear. Ive allready simply skipped a lot of stuff I normally bring and Ive gone to allways just bring the baits/popups I will use and simply pre-bait with whats left (not pop-ups obviously) for the next session before I leave.

What is your best tips when It comes to what to bring and what to skip. Which products really help bringing the weight down and so on. I am considering buying titan or perhaps even better carbon banksticks since Ive come to notice my stainless ones proberly weigh some kilos...

Ive sold one of my bedchairs and will most likely switch it for a JRC X-lite bedchair.

I dont think i fully understand what it is your after ?

Are you looking at leaving stuff at home that you dont really need or lightweight alternatives to the stuff you already take with you ?

How long are your sessions and where do ya fish ?

I dont think i fully understand what it is your after ?

Are you looking at leaving stuff at home that you dont really need or lightweight alternatives to the stuff you already take with you ?

How long are your sessions and where do ya fish ?

Both really. Ive allready started to leave stuff at home to check how often I really feel that I need it. 

I am at being able to carry all my gear to my swim at a normal distance from my car in one go, without barrow. At the moment I can do on 2 go without killing myself. 

So just weight saving tips really. 

I can give some, as mentioned only bring the baits you will use, Grind your stick/pva mixes at home and therefore leave the pelletbags/krusha and so on at home. Leave the terminal tackle at home and only bring the needles and premade rigs. Only bring the leads you need (last time I had 6 leads with me, and brought 6 home) 

Ive just started to experiment with this so just wanted to bring this up to see if anyone has any experience with giving the gear a diet :)

I normally fish evening to midday (overnighters) and often in swims I cant get to with barrow. 

Edited by sgart

Okaaaay :).... Sessions like that mmmmmm ...

Lets see ....

Firstly i wouldnt bother with any cooking gear , plates or utensils at all . Sessions that short i'd have a good scoff before leaving for the lake and take a good quality flask & some sarnies .

Thats one bag saved .

Do you use a inhooking mat or a cradle ?

If you use a cradle , mine can hold bait , baiting tools , small radio , any spare clothes , landing net head , alarms & receiver , bobbins etc ?

Maybe even pva ?

Hows that for starters ? :)

Do you actually sleep on "quick overnighters" ? :wink:

How about an ordinary chair or blow up bed instead of a bedchair and a lightweight brolly system instead of a blooming great pramhood bivvy ?

Personally i wouldnt pre-tie pva OR rigs in case firstly , the oils in the stick mix messes up the melting time of the pva and secondly in case i needed to lengthen or shorten hooklengths and/or hairs .

But thats just me :wink:

would never ever lighten up on the terminal tackle . I just KNOW i'll need whatever it is i left behind ...

Edited by newmarket

Okaaaay :).... Sessions like that mmmmmm ...

Lets see ....

Firstly i wouldnt bother with any cooking gear , plates or utensils at all . Sessions that short i'd have a good scoff before leaving for the lake and take a good quality flask & some sarnies .

Thats one bag saved .

Do you use a inhooking mat or a cradle ?

If you use a cradle , mine can hold bait , baiting tools , small radio , any spare clothes , landing net head , alarms & receiver , bobbins etc ?

Maybe even pva ?

Hows that for starters ? :)

Do you actually sleep on "quick overnighters" ? :wink:

How about an ordinary chair or blow up bed instead of a bedchair and a lightweight brolly system instead of a blooming great pramhood bivvy ?

Personally i wouldnt pre-tie pva OR rigs in case firstly , the oils in the stick mix messes up the melting time of the pva and secondly in case i needed to lengthen or shorten hooklengths and/or hairs .

But thats just me :wink:

I would never ever lighten up on the terminal tackle . I just KNOW i'll need whatever it is i left behind ...

Edited by newmarket

Good tips there!

No I dont make the bags at home just grind the mix and put it in a bag rather than having the ingredients and a krusha with me to the water :) saves some time as well.

Good tips there!

No I dont make the bags at home just grind the mix and put it in a bag rather than having the ingredients and a krusha with me to the water :) saves some time as well.

Funnily enough , during daylight hours and after i've set up and fishing , i rather enjoy making up a few pva stringers or bracelets and the ofd rig , usually referring to you tube to remind me how :wink:

I done a similar thing this year one of my main things was i got myself a quiver, sti x-lite in the main part, 3 rods in sleeves attached and banksticks (not sainless) and net in side pocket, main tackle box left at home, i just take a small one with just enough inside with a rig board and bits bag, a flask all in a fox stalker rucksack, plus bait bucket and i can walk as far as i need to, it's made a big difference to my fishing, forgot to mention my chair, which i have a few hour's sleep on if i need them, good luck mate.

The Chub Vantage Quiver is brilliant and well priced in the U.K.

Fox or Cygnet buzzbars/banksticks are cheap and lightweight.  Ditch the random leads/feeders etc and just carry a couple of each.

Most of my fishing Is night fishing work loads so wen I can get out I'm out for a while) so im a fill the car to bursting point angler the majority of the time but I also do the odd tea time till last light sessions. Plus I'm on a motorbike when I do these. I have a telescopic landing net / pole. 9ft telescopic carp rods breaks down 4 small sections. I have a rucksack with a little seat attached that folds up. I fill my bag with a few essentials ill need, bungie my unhooking mate and rods to my bag and away I go. Perfect for light few hour sessions.

Edited by nigewoodcock
No swearing on this site please.

What about ditching the bivvy, especially in summer and look at alternative shelters if a shelter is required. Depending on the lake and your swim could you use a tarp? You're then scaled right back and all should fit in a decent ruck sack. Maybe look for inspiration from survival sites trekking sites for ideas to ensure you have the basics requirements to keep motivation high. Keeping dry, warm, fed and watered.

If you want to take food, why not make it before and seal in a vacum bag and warm through in boiling water meaning you only have to take a kettle.

Clothing could be another advantage. Having combat trousers may mean you can carry rig bits in your pockets rather than ruck sack, spreading the load.

Edited by androoooo

Sgart I just saw a similar thread elsewhere, one of the recommendations was a hennesy hammock. Works as a chair and place to sleep. Coupled with a tarp you could reduce the weight carried by a considerable amount.

When trying to whittle down what to take, use the two bag method whereby when you pack up after a session all the gear you used goes in one bag and all that you didn't into the other. You'll soon start to see how much bulk we carry with the "but I may need it" attitude and you can start refining from there. If you're really strict and can part with some items you could sell them on to help fund your other weight saving future purchases

Edited by mrdevon

Sgart I just saw a similar thread elsewhere, one of the recommendations was a hennesy hammock. Works as a chair and place to sleep. Coupled with a tarp you could reduce the weight carried by a considerable amount.

For summer months that one seems darn smart!

Confuscius, he say, Essex man never been further north than Hull. Ho,Ho.

Couldnt let this go :) :)

Scotland , sweden , finland , norway .

Oh and newcastle-upon-tyne a few times dodging petrol bombs but thats another thread :wink:

Hello

I am currently going through the "I can't believe it takes me 4 hours to set up and take down, and I only fish overnighters" phase.

I have ditched the bivvy and bought a Fox Compact Brolly.

I have a car/spares bag.  All the stuff I might need (change of clothes, extra leads, PVA, extra water etc) is left in there.

I pre-tie my rigs and make up the stick mixes, mesh bags etc in advance.  I add PVA friendly liquids and I find this helps.  If I miscast I usually have time for another go.  I fish the same place all the time at the moment, so I pre-tie and bait my rigs too.  I am now fully set up in about 30 mins (at 3 rods, bivvy, alarms etc), as I have mapped the swims and know the wraps to my spots.

I have halved the amount of terminal tackle by taking a small box and I am trying to get that down to 1 bits box & my scales (small electronic ones).

I am also considering ditching the bed chair and swapping it for a 7.5cm depth camping "roll", which I bought for my sons summer camp.

I do cook on the bank but take only what I need.  I have put the cooker (small screw on one) inside the kettle, which goes inside my pan, which is on top of the frying pan.  I have plastic cutlery too.  I have put milk and squash (a drink a lot of water) into 2 old small orange juice bottles (like the ones on a Tesco meal deal) at 300ml each.

Took out all the krusha, cutters, PVA mesh, bino's, camera (I use my iphone), spare hooks, plastic hookbait, bivvy light (just use a powerful head torch).

I have some craft pots (£1.69 for 6 from ebay), the ones used to hold paints and these are used as glugs (less space and less weight).  Don't take any spare dips.

I am trying to make the barrow lighter too.  I have a porter mk4 and looking at down-trading to a mark 2 or similar.

Having said that I just bought a solar worldwide pod, which goes against the grain but looks pretty cool (at least I think so).

Heyho, life's a compromise!!

Maybe look for inspiration from survival sites trekking sites for ideas to ensure you have the basics requirements to keep motivation high. Keeping dry, warm, fed and watered.

If you want to take food, why not make it before and seal in a vacum bag and warm through in boiling water meaning you only have to take a kettle.

Good advice above.

Don't take a cooker, kettle, gas or water bottle at all for a quick session!

Look at my Avatar... :idea: