Hi guys,

I just wondered when to fish certain hook sizes?

I know bait size and the fact that big carp have big rubbery lips plays a part and so a larger hook makes sense, but isn't a smaller hook going to be less visible to the carp?

I suppose it's a bit of compromise really as well! What you lose with one, you gain with another?

What are your thoughts? Interested to hear what and why people do what they do?

Cheers

Hi guys,

I just wondered when to fish certain hook sizes?

I know bait size and the fact that big carp have big rubbery lips plays a part and so a larger hook makes sense, but isn't a smaller hook going to be less visible to the carp?

I suppose it's a bit of compromise really as well! What you lose with one, you gain with another?

What are your thoughts? Interested to hear what and why people do what they do?

Cheers

Imo big fish = big bait = big hook .

If carp could see the hook we would never catch one would we ?

I've been knnown to go 4's but like a lot of people mainly use 6's & 8's . Maybe tens for surface fishing ...

I reckon the hook pattern is a lot more crucial than hook size my friend :wink:

Imo big fish = big bait = big hook .

If carp could see the hook we would never catch one would we ?

I've been knnown to go 4's but like a lot of people mainly use 6's & 8's . Maybe tens for surface fishing ...

I reckon the hook pattern is a lot more crucial than hook size my friend :wink:

I'm with ya!

I mean, I knew bait size is gonna mean a larger hook because otherwise it would just get lost!

But yeah, if the fish are seeing the hook then we wouldn't be catchin them! Haha. Stupid on my part!

I suppose it boils down to bait presentation and how we distract the fish off the hook?

took a mate fishing for the first time last night, on a pole for small roach and such.

fixed him up with 4lb main to a 2lb hook link with a single 8mm pellet directly on a size 20 hook.

just as we were packing up i looked over in time to see him standing back from the bank with a hell of a bend in his top 2 and a look of fright that would give you night mares :lol:

i sauntered over thinking he had hooked into some weed or such,i looked down into the margin of his peg right into the mouth of a perfectly hooked carp of about 8lb or da mn near close.

i could just make out this tiny hook dead center on the bottom lip, as i gently slipped the net under his belly he flipped and snapped off.

MAN was i gutted, my mate just said "next time buddy"

just shows that the big hook theory doesn't always hold up :wink:

took a mate fishing for the first time last night, on a pole for small roach and such.

fixed him up with 4lb main to a 2lb hook link with a single 8mm pellet directly on a size 20 hook.

just as we were packing up i looked over in time to see him standing back from the bank with a hell of a bend in his top 2 and a look of fright that would give you night mares :lol:

i sauntered over thinking he had hooked into some weed or such,i looked down into the margin of his peg right into the mouth of a perfectly hooked carp of about 8lb or da mn near close.

i could just make out this tiny hook dead center on the bottom lip, as i gently slipped the net under his belly he flipped and snapped off.

MAN was i gutted, my mate just said "next time buddy"

just shows that the big hook theory doesn't always hold up :wink:

Oh i dunno ? A size 6 hook and that carp is in the net :)

Oh i dunno ? A size 6 hook and that carp is in the net :)

I think the issue was the light hooklink rather than the hook size. 2lb line isn't going to hold well even with a size 6.

Hook size is a good question and something I don't find myself thinking about too deeply, it just seems to come instinctively what size to use. The most important thing to me is a sharp hook with a wide gape, this applies to bottom baits and pop ups. Most of my fishing over the last few years have been on big pits, 50 acres plus. I've found on places like this I can get away with size 6's for bottom baits and size 5's for pop ups with no problems at all. Fish in pits this size seem to see rigs less frequently and feed far more freely than smaller, more pressured lakes and trip up to some pretty blatant presentations. I've even stalked a 34lb mirror in 3 ft of water on a size 4 ESP big t (this was all I had, not out of choice). For fishing on the surface and zigs I always use size 10's, although surface fishing isn't my strongest point so I tend to follow the crowd with this approach.

In contrast, I have fished with friends and done winter campaigns at Walthamstow and Linear and I've just used my same rigs from my syndicate and I've not caught as well as I feel I should have done. Dropping my hook size further into the trip has increased the number of bites. Some may call it a myth, but I genuinely believe more pressured fish are harder to catch on larger hooks. As a rule of thumb, on more pressured venues I drop my hook size to size 6's for pop ups and size 8's for bottom baits, in the winter I will go down to size 10's because I want to keep everything as subtle as possible.

At the end of the day, it is all personal preference. The most important thing to me is the gape in the hook. I want as much hook as possible to catch hold, small hooks with in-turned eyes have small gapes so I stay away from them. I use ESP Stiff riggers for virtually everything, the out-turned eye gives me more of a gape and they've never failed me over the years.